What has been happening?

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

What has been happening?

Postby pau1ie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 pm

There have been quite a few updates, though they have been rather quiet. I think all Micks updates to fix function keys mostly have been uploaded. Also all the alternative images have been added, over 200 games in all, though many are different versions of games which are already in the archive. The database now knows whether games can be saved (To disc or tape), how many players each game can cater for, whether a joystick can be used or is needed. Any specific hardware requirements are noted, and there is a notes field which displays if it is populated.

I think I am coming to the end of this work, so have been working on the admin backend. It is an ugly webpage, pretty much the bare minimum to allow trusted admins to update games as required.

I think I have got the website to be pretty much as we envisaged to start with.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

davidb

Re: What has been happening?

Postby davidb » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for all your work on this! It's great to be able to point people at a webpage when referring to a game. :D

Now, about the Electron version of the site... :lol: ;)

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:20 pm

I want to do the educational archive next because John was the first to ask, and because many of the programs in his archive aren't available online. Next I was asked for an atom version, but after that Id be happy to do an electron version.

What was really useful with the bbc micro website was that Lee, Mick and others had already created an indexed collection of disc images, with the metadata all in a spreadsheet. If anyone could provide this for the other archives, together with hosting I could get a site up and running very quickly, so Id be happy to fire up a site.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:37 am

What is the format of the metadata in the spreadsheet?
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer

leenew

Postby leenew » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 am

John, PM me your email address please.
I will send you mine used for the site as a comparison.

Lee.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:08 am

Well, I'm able to arrange hosting for any additional archives on the same server as the bbcmicro.co.uk site ...

In terms of domains, for the Atom archive we could use acornatom.co.uk (currently hosts Atomulator but that could be moved to atomulator.acornatom.co.uk, which would be in keeping with the sub-domain hosting used for other emulator sites e.g. b-em.bbcmicro.com).

If there's to be an Electron archive, though I own acornelectron.co.uk it's in use by DaveE for Acorn Electron World, so we'd need to come up with something different (electrongames.co.uk is available?).

For the Educational archive, we could snap up beebedu.co.uk / beebedu.org.uk? Or perhaps John might want to use his flaxcottage.com domain (John?).

Anyway, thanks Paul for the sterling work on bringing our vision for a BBC Micro games archive to life! =D>
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:12 am

flaxcottage wrote:What is the format of the metadata in the spreadsheet?

bbcmicro.co.uk/ss.php. This is dynamically generated from the database, I am not sure whether it will affect server load if loads of people or search engines ping it at once, which is why I didn't make it a proper URL - I can remove the script if it becomes a problem. You can load it directly into excel or libreoffice as an external data source. Also, the format doesn't really matter to me, its fairly easy to tailor an import.

John - I realise you are pushed for time, so I am really happy to use your current spreadsheet, the comment was aimed more at the electron and atom people. The main task I have to do for the educational archive is make a way to add documentation, which shouldn't take too long.

First I need to upload the changes to the back end to allow the admins to upload and maintain disc images and screenshots, and get them to check it works. Maybe tonight.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Yes I am a bit busy - exam season. It all should finish by 20 June sol I can get active then. :D
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Arcadian wrote:Anyway, thanks Paul for the sterling work on bringing our vision for a BBC Micro games archive to life! =D>
Hear, hear, I kept volunteering and then dropping out :oops:

So good on you for persevering! =D>

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”