Games that don't work in jsbeeb

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Games that don't work in jsbeeb

Postby pau1ie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks to ahope1 for creating a bug report in github. The customrl also allows a game not to be played online, so I switched off the following games. Does anyone know of any others that don't work?
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

joachim

Re: Games that don't work in jsbeeb

Postby joachim » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:54 pm

Just to be clear, there are non-RAM versions of Dunjunz too: STH has a non-RAM disc image and that doesn't work on jsbeeb either.

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Since the Master version of Dunjunz was Side B of the original disk, I decided to try Side A on jsbeeb with "BBC B" set as the model and it works fine.
I don't think that the version using sideways RAM was official, and as such I'm not entirely sure it's worth trying to get it working.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 pm

The STH zip file that contained a .SSD of Dunjunz for the Master also contained a separate .SSD for the Model B, but the two .SSDs were originally two sides of a flippy disc that needed to be removed from the drive, turned over, and reinserted before you could play the Model B version of the game. (The second .SSD also held all the level data, for both Model B and Master.)

I've created a single .SSD that should contain a bootable, working copy of the Model B version of Dunjunz:

If you know how to play the game -- I don't! -- then please try my version and let me know if it works properly. In particular, can you get past Level 1 and onto Level 2?

:?:

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon May 08, 2017 9:30 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:Since the Master version of Dunjunz was Side B of the original disk, I decided to try Side A on jsbeeb with "BBC B" set as the model and it works fine.
I don't think that the version using sideways RAM was official, and as such I'm not entirely sure it's worth trying to get it working.

You just beat me to the Submit button!

I thought the Master version was on Side A of the STH copy?

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 pm

lurkio wrote:
I thought the Master version was on Side A of the STH copy?

I stand corrected!
Had misnamed my FSD and subsequent SSD files :oops:

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Tue May 09, 2017 11:50 am

lurkio wrote:If you know how to play the game -- I don't! -- then please try my version and let me know if it works properly. In particular, can you get past Level 1 and onto Level 2?

It works to level 2, I didn't try it any further.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue May 09, 2017 11:54 am

Pernod wrote:
lurkio wrote:If you know how to play the game -- I don't! -- then please try my version and let me know if it works properly. In particular, can you get past Level 1 and onto Level 2?

It works to level 2, I didn't try it any further.

Thanks, Nigel! That's probably good enough -- I just wanted to check that the game code could find and load the files for levels beyond Level 1.

:idea:

joachim

Postby joachim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:26 am

A tiny failure: the "Play" link in Ghouls of Azzod, http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=599, doesn't result in a functional game, just a black screen in jsbeeb.

Incomprehensibly, the game loads fine if you press SHIFT-BREAK from this screen, or if you BREAK and *EXEC !BOOT. It's just the autoboot straight from startup that fails.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:10 am

joachim wrote:A tiny failure: the "Play" link in Ghouls of Azzod, http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=599, doesn't result in a functional game, just a black screen in jsbeeb. Incomprehensibly, the game loads fine if you press SHIFT-BREAK from this screen, or if you BREAK and *EXEC !BOOT. It's just the autoboot straight from startup that fails.

I think this is down to some sort of vague "timing" issue with JSBeeb, which has already been reported here:

Unfortunately, Matt Godbolt doesn't seem to have been able to do much development work on JSBeeb lately, so I think we'll have to work around any issues, case by case. For Ghouls Of Azzod, this fix seems to work:

All I did was add a pointless PRINT statement to the !BOOT, which seems to slow it down just enough to allow JSBeeb to boot the game from a "cold start".

:idea:

Matt Godbolt wrote:Hi all, I'd like to announce my Javascript BBC Micro emulator, jsbeeb ...

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”