search and alternative versions

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

search and alternative versions

Postby pau1ie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Lee has been taking advantage of a feature I added of allowing games to be linked together. A good example is Snapper which has a few versions. Because they are linked together, you only get one when you search, or when you browse through the games, which makes things tidier.

Lee noticed a problem where different versions of a game have different names. You can't search for the "child" games, so you can only search for the main (Parent) game. The example he gives is Laser Cycles. The alternative version which is linked as a child is Grid Cycles. You can't search for this directly, and if you try nothing is returned, even though you can see it in the type ahead.

So what to do here? Clearly the title appearing in the type ahead is a bug, the type ahead shouldn't display anything that won't be displayed if you search for it. The more difficult problem is how to cater for someone who remembers playing Grid Cycles and searches for it, and doesn't get any results. As I see it we have a few options:

• Call the game "Laser Cycles (AKA Grid Cycles)". I guess this won't be correct for this game, or it would already be named like this.
  • Have an option that allows searching of every game including child games. I don't like this as it is a little opaque.
  • Somehow allow a search for the child game but return the parent if it matches? Sounds like a lot of work, but possibly easier for the user.
I think I kind of envisaged when creating the functionality that the parent would incorporate all aspects of all versions, though this may have been to save me work!

What do you think?
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

lurkio

Re: search and alternative versions

Postby lurkio » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:59 pm

pau1ie wrote:
  • Somehow allow a search for the child game but return the parent if it matches? Sounds like a lot of work, but possibly easier for the user.

That would be my preference. Because users will only search for what they can actually remember! (And the other options you suggested are either messier or too fiddly to use.)

I know you said it would be harder to implement, but you did ask..!

:?:

leenew

Re: search and alternative versions

Postby leenew » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Yes, unfortunately I agree with Lurkio :lol:
My idea was to have the "Alternative Versions" tick box UNticked by default and have search function exactly as it does now, where child games are invisible, but the information is there on the details page of the parent.
BUT, if a user should tick the Alternative versions tickbox, then the child games, and any other Alternative would simply not be "hidden".
This does not sound like a lot of work to me - but then I do not have the faintest idea what I am talking about :wink:

Lee.

Return to “bbcmicro.co.uk”