Search brokenness

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
Prime

Search brokenness

Postby Prime » Tue May 26, 2015 10:50 am

Hi all,

I think there may be a minor problem with the search function for the forum, selected the following options :

Advanced search,
Search for all terms or use query as entered,
search terms : +electron +circuit
Search within: Topic titles only
Display results as: posts

Hitting go brings up a list of posts, with the first 3 not containing "electron", at the top of the page I get :

"Search found 15 matches
Search term used: +electron +circuit ignored: electron"

Why is it ignoring electron, when I specifically requested that it is required?

Also searching for "electron" on it's own yields :

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: electron.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."

I can understand just having it ignored if searched for on it's own but in cases like this I think this is a little silly.

Cheers.

Phill.

Pernod

Re: Search brokenness

Postby Pernod » Tue May 26, 2015 12:01 pm

There are options in phpBB to select the method used for searching. It seems this forum uses 'phpBB Native Fulltext' which utilises a 'Common word threshold' that defaults to 5%. This can be set to 0% to disable the common words issue, the index will need recreating after changing the threshold.
On my own forum I prefer to set the 'Search backend' to 'MySQL Fulltext' which doesn't have the threshold option and should be faster too.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

Prime

Postby Prime » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Can I bump this please?

Samwise, Arcadian or one of the other forum admins can we please fix this?

I wanted to search for "Master RAM Board" today and it decided to ignore "Master"

This is a real pain in the ASS!

Cheers.

Phill.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 pm

I did mention this to Samwise a couple of week back. Apparently the setting has always been set to 0% (under fulltext native).

Anyway I've just tried changing the overall setting to fulltext mysql and it seems to be ok now?

For example I've just tried searching +Electron +Circuit and it returned the expected results. As did a search for "master ram board".
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

Prime

Postby Prime » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Arcadian wrote:I did mention this to Samwise a couple of week back. Apparently the setting has always been set to 0% (under fulltext native).

Anyway I've just tried changing the overall setting to fulltext mysql and it seems to be ok now?

Yep just checked it and it seems to be working now much better.

Thanks for sorting this out Dave,

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Phill.

Return to “stardot.org.uk”