Tapatalk

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
Haqa

Tapatalk

Postby Haqa » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:02 am

I wonder if it would be possible to get tapatalk support added to sth. I do a lot of posting from mobile devices and use tapatalk wherever possible.

I also use it on my own forums, PM me if you want details...

Cheers

H.
If at first you don't succeed, blame the cat...

Samwise

Re: Tapatalk

Postby Samwise » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:13 pm

Hmm ...

I'm not keen on supporting a paid-for app, just for the sake of it. Adding mods is always a pain - not necessarily the initial installation, but at upgrade time. I read that the next major revision of the forum software (3.2, I think) will include an official mobile style. I'd much prefer to wait for that to arrive.

Meanwhile, I tend to find the View active topics link to be fairly easy to manage from my mobile devices (though it's not perfect, obviously).

As ever, if there's a groundswell of disapproval, happy to reconsider it ...

Sam.

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Pretty much agree Sam. I do most of my Stardot browsing from my mobile and through a series of mishaps i've chewed through a variety of handsets lately and not really had many problems on here (except with the last one which was somewhat aged).

The update you spoke of sounds helpful though, when's it due?

Stuart :)

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:22 pm

How long's a piece of string?

I probably wouldn't get your hopes up - it was only a comment I stumbled across last year after all.

I can't see any official mention of such a feature on the roadmap.

Sam.

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:24 pm

fair enough!

Haqa

Postby Haqa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:26 pm

A mobile skin would be good too!

I understand your point about paid apps, back on my site I had some users who requested it so I added it (ages ago actually).

Cheers...

H...

nOmArch

Postby nOmArch » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 pm

I'd like tapatalk functionality as well, it really makes using/browsing forums much easier, try it if you haven't already.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

jonb

A balancing viewpoint?

Postby jonb » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Tapatalk is OK except that if you go browse a site with it installed, and you are using a mobile device's Internet browser, it throws up the most annoying pop up advert for the app. It's a major, major pain in the arse, and I have Tapatalk on my mobile phone (but not on my tablet - that costs extra).

I bet they don't pay you to advertise their app either...

Anyway, it is kind of nice on a phone, but on a tablet not really necessary. Stardot is fine on my iPad. Would an annoying pop up every time I visit really enhance the experience? No, thought not.

JonB

nOmArch

Re: A balancing viewpoint?

Postby nOmArch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:40 pm

jonb wrote:Tapatalk is OK except that if you go browse a site with it installed, and you are using a mobile device's Internet browser, it throws up the most annoying pop up advert for the app. It's a major, major pain in the arse, and

I use Adblock for Firefox Android so I've never noticed that.
Alex

jonb

Postby jonb » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:05 am

It's not a web page ad, it's a native dialog box with a couple of buttons. You have to click the cancel button to see the page... That's on iOS, Android may be different.

Cheers

JonB

nOmArch

Postby nOmArch » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 pm

Adblock doesn't just block pop up ads, but yeah I've not seen the pop up using my Android phones but I don't know whether it's because adblock is doing its job or the pop up just doesn't happen on Android.
Alex

Haqa

Postby Haqa » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Still, a UA detector that switches to a narrow device friendly skin would be very much appreciated.

H...

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 am

I'm also in favour of Tapatalk. I've installed the mod on my own phpBB site which only took a couple of minutes.
I'm using the free Tapatalk app on my Android phone so there is nothing to pay for and makes the forum soooo much more usable on mobile devices.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:13 am

Hi Samwise, could you reconsider Tapatalk? It's been free on mobile devices for awhile now and really is very simple to install the mod on the forum.

I have all my regularly visited forums bookmarked in Tapatalk and *. is the only one that doesn't support it. I find it really useful to use a single app to get notifications from all forums, rather than having to visit each individually.
Last edited by Pernod on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:29 am

Hi Samwise, the latest phpBB 3.1.3 is now mobile friendly with a responsive style. I updated my own forum and only took a couple of hours. And your Aero style is now available for 3.1 too.

In the latest version mods are no longer supported but I don't think you use any on this site, they are replaced with extensions which simply drop into a folder and don't require any code changes. A Tapatalk extension is now available for 3.1 which is as simple as unzip and upload to folder.

At least consider updating to 3.1, thanks.
- Nigel

galax

Postby galax » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:47 pm

Last edited by galax on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:31 pm

galax wrote:Tapatalk used to be quite decent but the last couple of iOS versions have been horribly crippled. They re-did they UI, adding all sorts of pointless stuff such as 'trending' (seemingly randomly chosen) posts, and completely breaking basic things such as remembering which posts have been read.

Not noticed this on Android, it's just a convenient app that allows me to access all my favourite forums, whether mobile friendly or not, from a single app.
- Nigel

galax

Postby galax » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Last edited by galax on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:24 pm

Ok agreed, it's not perfect! They do try to promote other forums that I'm not interested in. But if you want access to all your frequently visited forums accessible from a mobile device then there really isn't much, if any, alternative.
Making *. available via Tapatalk costs nothing, gets wider potential coverage, and is simple to install (especially with phpBB 3.1.x). You can even get revenue from it if you want (optional).
Really don't see any reason not to at least give it a go, it's harmless.
- Nigel

jonb

Postby jonb » Fri May 01, 2015 5:32 am

Pernod wrote:..if you want access to all your frequently visited forums accessible from a mobile device then there really isn't much, if any, alternative.

I find bookmarks quite handy for this.

Pernod wrote:Making *. available via Tapatalk costs nothing, gets wider potential coverage, and is simple to install (especially with phpBB 3.1.x). You can even get revenue from it if you want (optional).
Really don't see any reason not to at least give it a go, it's harmless.

People join forums because they like the content, not because it has a particular means of access. I think you're as likely to lose traffic as gain it with Tapatalk. For my part I would certainly visit less often if it was installed (no great loss I suppose!) but that's because I use iOS a lot when browsing, and I don't like popups or app installation banners (which you get even if Tapatalk is already on your device) eating up screen space.

The last time I tried to use it on my iPad I was appalled at how bad it is (I never found it that useful in the first place). I don't consider it harmless; my view is it has become unnecessary bloatware that doesn't deliver any improvement over using Safari, and it degrades the experience for users and non users alike. *. is such a prominent site that it doesn't need Tapatalk to promote it anyway.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 am

Pernod wrote:Making *. available via Tapatalk costs nothing ... it's harmless.
HHhhhhhmm, I've had bad experiences updating PHP projects to newer versions and installing or enabling plug-ins, so you can't guarantee it will be easy & harmless, can you?

I certainly don't know, definitely not saying you are wrong, or that I know any better, but I don't think you can be that sure it will be easy & harmless. :?: :-k

If *. gets broken (looks like WoS forums still offline?) in some updating/enabling attempt the rest of us non-Tapatalk folk will be sad. :( (WoS is down for different reasons, I'm just saying that if the site gets broken, it might be a while before it gets fixed.)

Of course it could all be tested on a clone of the site, etc., etc., before trying it out live, but then you miss the "costs nothing" part - it would take a bit of time to do all that.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri May 01, 2015 8:44 am

I tried Tapatalk and was not impressed. In fact, the pop-ups etc were too much and I removed it.
I have a company provided iPhone 4S and don't have any problems browsing this forum using the Apple Safari browser.

While we are on the subject (kinda), I don't like ANY nagging type applications. Computer generated suggestions are 99% of the time of no interest to me whatsoever.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri May 01, 2015 9:46 am

1024MAK wrote:I tried Tapatalk and was not impressed. In fact, the pop-ups etc were too much and I removed it.
I have a company provided iPhone 4S and don't have any problems browsing this forum using the Apple Safari browser.

I assume you can still use the web browser though. Not tried Tapatalk myself as I dont think anything I frequent uses it. Perhaps it would be possible to standup a proof of concept. i.e. a second upgrade version (of phpbb) with Tapatalk or some other equiv. And see if people like it.

Obviously that involves time, effort and diskspace (although you could just have a subset of post) all of which are probably in short supply.

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Fri May 01, 2015 9:54 am

jonb wrote:For my part I would certainly visit less often if it was installed (no great loss I suppose!) but that's because I use iOS a lot when browsing, and I don't like popups or app installation banners (which you get even if Tapatalk is already on your device) eating up screen space.

All popups and banners are optional. If they are all disabled then you wouldn't even know it was installed.
richardtoohey wrote:HHhhhhhmm, I've had bad experiences updating PHP projects to newer versions and installing or enabling plug-ins, so you can't guarantee it will be easy & harmless, can you?

Can't guarantee, but I've had it on my forum for a few years now and never had any issues updating it, and I do have a few other mods installed but Tapatalk has never conflicted with anything.
1024MAK wrote:I tried Tapatalk and was not impressed. In fact, the pop-ups etc were too much and I removed it.

Popups are configurable and can be completely disabled. If you prefer to use Safari then you wouldn't even know Tapatalk is installed.
- Nigel

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri May 01, 2015 10:07 am

When I tried Tapatalk, some of the forums that I visit were on Tapatalk and some were not. When visiting a forum via Safari, Tapatalk pops up an annoying message telling you that the forum is available in Tapatalk. IIRC this sometimes happened even though when I searched, I could not find the forum on Tapatalk.

Also I felt that the value of having Tapatalk is not great when I discovered only two of the forums that I use were on it (out numbered compared to the forums that I visit that are/were not on Tapatalk).

There were other annoying things about it as well (I forget the details), but I did not use it that much before I decided to remove the app.

And since I originally downloaded Tapatalk, Safari has been improved making it easier to use.

Also, there are thousands of iPhone Apps, Tapatalk takes up valuable screen space and memory, but cannot replace a web browser.

I welcome other peoples views and experiences.

Mark

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri May 01, 2015 10:11 am

Pernod wrote:All popups and banners are optional. If they are all disabled then you wouldn't even know it was installed.
Good. But why does the default installation have them enabled? In fact, why are they needed at all? If you have gone to the effort of downloading and installing Tapatalk, are you not then going to search to see if your favourite forums are available via Tapatalk?

Mark

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri May 01, 2015 10:19 am

1024MAK wrote: But why does the default installation have them enabled? In fact, why are they needed at all? If you have gone to the effort of downloading and installing Tapatalk, are you not then going to search to see if your favourite forums are available via Tapatalk?

Mark

Making money I should think

jonb

Postby jonb » Fri May 01, 2015 12:58 pm

Yes, it has all the hallmarks of a grubby little "monetised" app.

I loathe it. Can we lock the thread now please?

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:35 pm

I have just read this on Atari-Forum:-
Atari-Forum wrote:Tapatalk disabled
Dal wrote:All,

We had a recent issue whereby a locked thread was successfully posted to by a standard user via Tapatalk. While this is being investigated, I have disabled the Tapatalk Extension.

I have learned through chatting to phpBB support that Tapatalk is still not an officially validated phpBB extension - meaning that it likely uses methods outside of the proper phpBB API to go about its business. I have logged a support request with Tapatalk to ask them to confirm whether or not their extension is interfacing 100% directly through the documented phpBB API. I have also asked them to confirm when they expect to have the extension validated by phpBB.

Right now, I'm of the opinion that we should wait until phpBB officially adds Tapatalk to its Extensions Database before re-implementing the function.

Sorry for the inconvenience. If you know or run other phpBB boards that use Tapatalk, you may wish to consider this information. I will update the thread as and when I get a response.

Dal wrote:phpBB support reckon they do a bit of direct database bashing. This is a HUGE no-no.

Dal wrote:
joska wrote:So is Tapatalk enabled again?

OMG - it actually ignores the fact I disabled it through the Admin Console!!! :evil:

OK - it's being completely removed from the file system, let's see how that goes. In the meantime, another ticket is being raised on them...

**EDIT: That did the trick ***

Link

Mark

Dal

Postby Dal » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:16 pm

I should also add that under certain circumstances it is possible for a poster using TapaTalk to reply to a thread after it is locked.

As you can see from my quoted posts, the TapaTalk extension breaks some fundamental phpBB API rules. Not least that the enable/disable switch in the Extensions manager is ignored; it's on unless you rip it all out.

I'm running phpBB 3.1 on Atari-Forum and after this lesson, I will never install a non validated extension again in the production environment (Dev environment is a different matter of course!).

Return to “stardot.org.uk”