How about a Programming / Hints and Tips subforum?

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
Rich Talbot-Watkins

How about a Programming / Hints and Tips subforum?

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:07 pm

In light of this new flurry of Beeb development activity, I was just thinking it would be nice to have a place where we could collect together useful routines, tricks and tips - could be quite a useful resource for anyone embarking on a new game project or whatever.

We've touched on various things in the past, but they're scattered all around the forums, e.g. the sprite routine examples in the PC Utils forum, the pixel plotting routine in Hardware, etc etc.

What do you think? :)

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:39 pm

I think this is an excellent idea, also saves re-inventing the wheel again. As it could be the place - like you say - for all those useful routines as well as hints and tips.

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:55 pm

Good idea! :D

Kind regards,

Francis.
Dreamland Fantasy Studios
http://www.dfstudios.co.uk

JIM

Postby JIM » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:17 pm

Great idea!

ghbearman

Postby ghbearman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:07 am

I agree, good idea. I hope it gets implemented.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:32 am

Yeah - I can see how a new/separate messageboard could really be of benefit, so I'll put the wheels in motion over the next few days ...

I've had a very quick think about what types of Categories & Sub-Forums might be useful ...

- Main category. A locked category that includes a list of team members plus list of games in development, together with who's working on what, who's currently occupied/unoccupied etc

- Project Updates category. Featuring a designated forum for each new game that is 'officially' in development. Only people contributing towards the game in question will be able to create threads, but any registered user will be able to post feedback/comments.

- Programming Discussion category. Set of forums to discuss various aspects of BBC/Electron programming e.g. BASIC, Assembler, Graphics, Sound, Music (I'd need some suggestions here).

- Programming Best Practices category. Once a particular topic in the 'Programming Discussion' has been taken to its conclusion (e.g. 'Fast Side-Scrolling routines for an Electron') and agreements on Best Practice(s) have been reached, the code (plus annotations) could be added here.

- PC Tools category (SWIFT updates etc).

- General Discussion category, containing:
: I'm Thinking of Programming ...
: New Game Ideas

- Polls category (vote for favourite games on other platforms etc)

- Reviews category. When a game has been released, end-users/customers can post their review here.

Ok, so that's a very rough outline of how we could structure the forum ... let me know what you think!

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:36 am

You don't think a wiki might be more appropriate to bring ppl in? We could integrate a bulletin board into it ... I just wonder if it might make information more accessible than just having lots of stickies around?

Sam.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:44 am

Actually yeah - I can see a Wiki being much better for Best Practices, hints and tips etc.

Not that I'd have a clue how to set one up (or even contribute to one, for that matter).

But if somebody here is willing to take the lead in terms of configuring a Wiki, I'll find out about getting it hosted ...

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 am

Hmmm.... *strokes chin*

Personally, regarding programming tips, I'd rather keep it all on this forum, and keep it fairly simple... I'm not really sure if there'd be enough traffic to justify all the different categories in a separate messageboard.

I think, provided we don't ramble off the point too much, having individual threads on different topics in one subforum is tidy, easy to follow, and hopefully encourages discussion. I think it would complement the rest of the site quite nicely... after all, we've never been quite sure where to post these kind of topics.

Well, that's my €0.01349 :)

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:47 am

I'm don't know much about these things either, altered one article once somewhere (about the ELk on Wikipedia). So a question which might be a dumb one : Can you restrict privileges in similar ways to how Dave wanted various categories to work ?

A Wiki might be easier in presenting information so sounds a good idea.

garfield

Postby garfield » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:48 am

I don't think that there are going to be a large amount of tips 'n' tricks, so something small (and managable) is best, I imagine.

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:49 am

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:I'm not really sure if there'd be enough traffic to justify all the different categories in a separate messageboard.

That might be a good point.

For long posts though perhaps with lots of piccies the Wiki format seems easier on the eye than a forum post. Is there a compromise where we can link to a web page/ wiki/ whatever if a particular post is a bit rambling or has a lot of detail ?

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:58 am

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:Personally, regarding programming tips, I'd rather keep it all on this forum, and keep it fairly simple... I'm not really sure if there'd be enough traffic to justify all the different categories in a separate messageboard.

In terms of safeguarding STH, I think it would be prudent to create an independent forum, even if the traffic is very low.

Especially with all this talk of doing 'unlicensed' conversions ... and yes, I realise I can hardly talk, as I've been egging everyone on/offering bribes(!)

sorvad wrote:For long posts though perhaps with lots of piccies the Wiki format seems easier on the eye than a forum post. Is there a compromise where we can link to a web page/ wiki/ whatever if a particular post is a bit rambling or has a lot of detail ?

I think that a forum would be a good starting point ... if we did actually up generating a lot of Hints/Tips-type content, perhaps then we could take a look at adding a Wiki?

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:02 am

stairwaytohell wrote:In terms of safeguarding STH, I think it would be prudent to create an independent forum, even if the traffic is very low.

I'd forgot about that bit ...

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:35 am

Well, if the consensus is a wiki ... yeah, I can do that. I've had plenty of experience in getting forums, wikis and other stuff up and running. They can usually be munged together somehow (the getting ids to work across them can be harder) so they look and feel together (e.g. the forum on my CE site is built to fit in with the pages).

Sam.

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:22 am

In fact, a bit of a google indicates that it may be possible to integrate phpbb with mediawiki so you have the same login for both ...

Dave, PM me if you're interested in getting me involved with this ...

Sam.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:22 am

samwise wrote:In fact, a bit of a google indicates that it may be possible to integrate phpbb with mediawiki so you have the same login for both ...

Well I've got the go-ahead from Gary for to install a Wiki if required. He's also created a MySQL DB account on the retrosoftware domain.

So if you guys can decide exactly what you want, we'll take it from there.

samwise wrote:Dave, PM me if you're interested in getting me involved with this ...

Thanks for the offer - I think I'll almost definitely need your help ... Wiki or no Wiki!

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:36 am

*Mr. Burns-style Excellent* ...

jgharston

Re: How about a Programming / Hints and Tips subforum?

Postby jgharston » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Did anything come from this? I've looked through all the subforums and can't find anything. There are various bits and pieces I put on the Wiki or on my website.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

sydney

Postby sydney » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:10 pm

jgharston wrote:Did anything come from this? I've looked through all the subforums and can't find anything. There are various bits and pieces I put on the Wiki or on my website.

I'd imagine this is how RetroSoftware came from.

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:54 am

I'd like to raise this topic again (again) for discussion!

The Retro Software forums are great and contain lots of historical discussions and useful bits of information on Beeb programming but they can hardly be called active. As far as I can tell, all of the (current) contributors on there are also registered on StarDot so seems silly to split the traffic like that - the more interest & activity we can pool in one place the livelier the community becomes.

The Retro Software site has a specific purpose, to publish new games for old Acorn platforms, and the forums and topics related to that goal make total sense (and should stay there, of course.) But I assert that having a new 8-bit programming sub-forum on StarDot that is intended for general programming questions along with "hey, see how I did this thing" could be immensely valuable to the community, both experienced and newbie coders alike.

Thoughts?

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Earlier in the year (shortly after we appointed the new admin/moderator team) we began discussing incorporating the Retro Software forum into the StarDot forum.

Perhaps we can start to press ahead with a plan to achieve this. Daniel? Simon? Roland? What do you think?

I've finally returned from a month long event in London this morning, so will have more time to dedicate to forum stuff now...
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Thoughts: (Ramblings really as I don't' have a preference)

Are the frequency of programming questions and time to answer going to mean that they fall off the first page of StarDot active topics?
Perhapse not everyone only uses the "Active Topics" link (especially as it requires two mouse clicks).

I know I'm here a lot now, but when I got back into 8 bit coding, I decided that StarDot was too active for me and only really used RS, where the pace of life better matched my frequency of visits.

Posting demos and asking for feedback gets more responses here.

I don't think I am saying programming should be tucked away somewhere quiet!

RetroHardware seems to be here (I don't its history).

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:15 pm

Arcadian wrote:Earlier in the year (shortly after we appointed the new admin/moderator team) we began discussing incorporating the Retro Software forum into the StarDot forum.

Perhaps we can start to press ahead with a plan to achieve this. Daniel? Simon? Roland? What do you think?

I personally think this would be an excellent idea. Of all the forums on Retro Software there are two that have the most posts - "how do I do this thing?" and "I did this thing / am thinking of doing this thing, what do you think?" It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Were you proposing to transfer the database of posts across? That would be amazing to have all Beeb info in one place.

tricky wrote:Are the frequency of programming questions and time to answer going to mean that they fall off the first page of StarDot active topics?
Perhapse not everyone only uses the "Active Topics" link (especially as it requires two mouse clicks).

I never knew this existed. :)

tricky wrote:Posting demos and asking for feedback gets more responses here.

Exactly! Getting feedback is inspiring & encouraging for coders and doing it here gives chance for both fellow programmers and non-programmers alike. I hope people would be more likely to ask "how did you do that?" in such an environment. This is a very open & inclusive community.

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:43 am

Arcadian wrote:Earlier in the year (shortly after we appointed the new admin/moderator team) we began discussing incorporating the Retro Software forum into the StarDot forum.

I've finally returned from a month long event in London this morning, so will have more time to dedicate to forum stuff now...

I've thought about this a lot as it's something I'd like to see done. I have no idea how to do it though. :lol:

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:39 pm

tricky wrote:Perhaps not everyone only uses the "Active Topics" link (especially as it requires two mouse clicks).

This is the "main" page for me on phpBB forums (and on simular other forums using other software).

I don't manage to read every thread, but it gives a good indication of what's happening.

I think, maybe, as StarDot is the larger, more active forum, we really need the thoughts from more of the members of the Retro Software forum.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

sweh

Postby sweh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:09 pm

1024MAK wrote:I think, maybe, as StarDot is the larger, more active forum, we really need the thoughts from more of the members of the Retro Software forum.

I wonder how many RS users there are that aren't *. users? Hmm.

For me, I find the wiki sections of RS to be very useful (especially the BeebAsm documentation!), but don't like the look'n'feel of the forum colour scheme and layout too much, so would not be averse to moving that here :-)
Rgds
Stephen

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:20 am

Pinging this thread again after some productive conversations at the ABUG meet in Cambridge.

Those are some good points Stephen - I've started a thread on RS asking that what people think over there. To be clear, our ideal goal would be to preserve all information but just host it somewhere (a) more maintainable and (b) with the larger more active community to keep a critical mass.

A good suggestion from someone was to set up a new RS organisation on GitHub - this would mean we could appoint a number of admins from the Beeb dev community and use this as a place to store code and the wiki. (Again, presuming it can all be migrated.) In general, modern hosting / collaboration websites are going to be easier to maintain than a patchwork of open source tools.

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 pm

For those interested, we are discussing the logistics of the RetroSoftware wiki and the merits of GitHub over on RS: http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1020

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:42 pm

We have hijacked (politely, mind, we are BBC enthusiasts after all) the GitHub.com/Stardot organisation as a potential successor to RS. For anyone that would like to be admin to help with archiving the old RS site and setting up the new Stardot developers site, please just let me know.

Return to “stardot.org.uk”