Search on stardot unstable?

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
pstnotpd

Search on stardot unstable?

Postby pstnotpd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:47 am

When I'm searching through the site or paging through large topics I now often get a message that I cannot search and am supposed to wait for <x> seconds. Is that normal?

danielj

Re: Search on stardot unstable?

Postby danielj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Yes - if you've done a search, then it will make you wait before doing another (it's to stop bots overloading the server).

d.

pstnotpd

Postby pstnotpd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Is it possible to switch that off for paging through long posts? It seems to consider that a "search"

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Can you link to the thread where you're having an issue and describe how you're paging through it? I've just tried and can't replicate this at all...

d.

PitfallJones

Postby PitfallJones » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:47 pm

I've seen the same thing - in fact I just tested it:

If you do a seach for something like "serial port" it will return several pages of results.
As you click on some of the later pages (like page 4) it will say I can't search for 'x' seconds - but I haven't done a new search!

Also this is a good example of where the search behaves not as I would expect:

Typing in

"serial port"

Will return all occurances of the terms 'serial' and 'port' on their own
but what I'm literally looking for is

serial<SPACE>port

which is why I put the quotes around the search term to narrow down the results returned.

Thanks
PJ

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:11 pm

I haven't mentioned it before but this timer lock-out has been driving me crazy ever since it suddenly appeared coincident with the last attempts to fix the other 'broken search' issues. The bottom line is that for years and years the search functioned fine (within the acknowledged limitations) but then one day it broke and has never really recovered. Obviously not a complaint, just an observation.... :wink:

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:18 pm

PitfallJones wrote:If you do a seach for something like "serial port" it will return several pages of results.
As you click on some of the later pages (like page 4) it will say I can't search for 'x' seconds - but I haven't done a new search!

I sometimes see that too, but sometimes not! The behaviour seems to be intermittent.

Btw, it's only a workaround, and perhaps obvious, but try this instead:

:?:

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:40 pm

PitfallJones wrote:I've seen the same thing - in fact I just tested it:

If you do a seach for something like "serial port" it will return several pages of results.

I've just tried this (using your permissions, so I should be seeing what you see) and can't get it to do it :( Sorry. I'll look at the search time-limits and see if there's something that can be done..

Also this is a good example of where the search behaves not as I would expect:

Typing in

"serial port"

Will return all occurances of the terms 'serial' and 'port' on their own
but what I'm literally looking for is

serial<SPACE>port

which is why I put the quotes around the search term to narrow down the results returned.

I've just done a bit of reading around on this - I don't think it works like that. Sorry :( See this thread on the phpbb website - some people are asserting that it works, but I can't see any difference in the behaviour of the search there to the search here.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2370926

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:41 pm

MartinB wrote:I haven't mentioned it before but this timer lock-out has been driving me crazy ever since it suddenly appeared coincident with the last attempts to fix the other 'broken search' issues. The bottom line is that for years and years the search functioned fine (within the acknowledged limitations) but then one day it broke and has never really recovered. Obviously not a complaint, just an observation.... :wink:

Now now - no one's mentioned the search timer lock out before this. If someone had said "this has suddenly started happening" I'd have taken a look. Possibly done bugger all, but taken a look. :D

d.

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:47 pm

OK, further - I have no idea why it's misbehaving for registered users - there should be no delay for you:
searchsettings.png

It's only guests that get the kibosh on that one. It might be a bug somewhere in something :(

Again, this is open source whateverness, so we keep it fairly up to date, but there may well be bugs which appear from time to time. We try not to stray into changing anything from "vanilla" as it makes it harder to run updates, and as maintaining this isn't a full time job etc, etc...

I'd still advocate using google to search the thing. It's much quicker to find what you want than the built in search (even when that's behaving itself).

d.

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:50 pm

I assumed it was something to do with folk trying to fix the swathes of erased history so I didn't like to say. Anyway, I now keep a colouring book and crayons next to my netbook so I have something to do whilst I wait my turn for the next search .... :wink:

(Actually Daniel, there could be a clue there and perhaps my bad because I don't always log in.... :-k )

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:57 pm

If you're not logged in, I can't be held responsible for things being rubbish :D

d.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 pm

When no one is logged in, the forum switches to economy 3¾ mode....
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Just done some quick tests, using quotes in the standard or the advanced search boxes makes no difference.

It appears spaces are treated as delimiters between terms to search for.

The search will however not return partial matches of the text string(s). So for example searching for micro will not return microcomputer. To do that, use an asterisk (*)

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Daniel wrote:If you're not logged in, I can't be held responsible for things being rubbish :D

We can hold you responsible for whatever we like - whether or not you agree is entirely another matter... :lol:

Return to “stardot.org.uk”