Forum Software Upgrade

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
BigEd

Re: Forum Software Upgrade

Postby BigEd » Thu May 19, 2016 2:58 pm

It's a pre-existing subscription (to the how old are you thread) - I can click the unsubscribe but it doesn't stay unsubscribed. OK, having said that it does now seem to have unsubscribed! So, false alarm, although I'm sure it was misbehaving.

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu May 19, 2016 3:00 pm

Promise I didn't change anything in the interim! (I really didn't actually :?)

d.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat May 21, 2016 3:35 am

hoglet wrote:Roland,

Many many thanks for stepping up to this challenge. I know how nerve-racking production systems can be.

Well done for getting it sorted.
I can't improve on what Dave said. :D

Thanks, Roland, much appreciated. I "do" PHP/MySQL for $DAYJOB so was going to offer to help when I started reading things were going wrong, but as I scrolled down through the messages I could see it was in safe (and smarter-than-mine!) hands. (Is there a doff cap smiley?) =D>

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sat May 21, 2016 9:11 am

Noticed the new look for different grades of members and checked what they meant. 'Administrators' and 'Global Moderators' I understand but what is a 'Promulgator' and why pink? :shock:
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sat May 21, 2016 9:30 am

flaxcottage wrote:Noticed the new look for different grades of members and checked what they meant. 'Administrators' and 'Global Moderators' I understand but what is a 'Promulgator' and why pink? :shock:

It's Magenta :P
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Sat May 21, 2016 10:22 am

(Your avatar is missing, Mr Promulgator)

leenew

Postby leenew » Sat May 21, 2016 10:28 am

helpful

Postby helpful » Mon May 23, 2016 3:32 am

While you're in forum upgrade mode, perhaps you could you fix a couple of annoyances?

Make the "Quick links" actual quick links rather than a pointless drop down menu. There's plenty of spare space on that top bar.

Get rid of the irritating animated icons in the article list.

Stop it handing out the cut down layout to NetSurf and to my phone. I want the full layout, all the time, you stupid system!

And the really silly thing is the cut down layout, presumably designed for small screen mobile phones, still includes the battery draining animated icons! *sigh* Why do most web designers appear to be clueless?

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Mon May 23, 2016 5:17 am

There are (at least?) four animated gifs in the theme:
styles/prosilver/theme/images/topic_unread_hot_mine.gif
styles/prosilver/theme/images/topic_read_hot_mine.gif
styles/prosilver/theme/images/topic_unread_hot.gif
styles/prosilver/theme/images/topic_read_hot.gif

I'd recommend the admins either replace these with non-animated images, or allow user choice of a second theme which only has static images. (The forum software allows for multiple themes but I suspect there's only one installed at present.)

I see there are already user options not to display avatars - that will help, as many of those are animated.

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon May 23, 2016 5:45 am

Odd - I'm not seeing the animated icons on any of my devices? We'll look into it.

d.

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Mon May 23, 2016 6:23 am

The biggest disappointment for me is that since the major upgrade a while back, when I visit the site on my mobile, unless I log-in, I can't see from the active topics list who was last to post and I can't jump straight to that last post. It's now very fiddly and for me, discourages me from even bothering to look at Stardot when I'm out because I don't want to be obliged to log-in. I don't have to log-in on my PC or netbook, I can select "Active topics" and see the name of the last poster in a given topic and can use the little folded-corner icon to go directly to that post. I always used to be able to do this on a mobile without logging-in but now I can't. A cut-back too far IMHO..... :(

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 am

(On the index page, under about 550 pixels wide the second column of info disappears.)

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Mon May 23, 2016 6:38 am

Thanks Ed - Even if I flip my phone to landscape, there seems to be plenty of 'room' but it just doesn't show the info. My issue is that it was always fine pre-upgrade and was never cluttered and was easy to use - just as per my non-mobile devices. (I'm on an iPhone 4S IOS 9 btw...)

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Mon May 23, 2016 6:48 am

Seems that such a device, despite having a 640x960 display, reports to the browser that it has 320x480.

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Mon May 23, 2016 6:53 am

I think my confusion though is that I do get the full information as I expect on the "Active topics" list if I log-in, it's only missing if I don't. This is not how it behaved pre-upgrade - it was the same whether logged-in or not as per non-mobile devices. Something changed for the worse.... :(

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon May 23, 2016 7:10 am

Pre-upgrade we got hacked and lots of things had been customise that aren't compatible with the latest less hackable version of the forum software.

We are intending to 1) get the forum software updated to the latest version and then 2) start looking at themes and functionality.

Currently the main priority is to have it working and not hacked. :D (must haves vs nice to haves)

Martin, I hear your pain on the mobile site about active topics, it bugs the hell out of me too.

Anyway, generally, fear not, it will all get looked at! Of course this will never happen as quickly, or in the order, that people would like :D

d.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Mon May 23, 2016 8:01 am

Sounds just right, and much appreciated!

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Mon May 23, 2016 9:40 am

No worries Daniel - I haven't mentioned anything before (other than not liking change :wink: ) but I thought perhaps if we're doing a bit of tinkering under the new colourful regime, it was worthy of a note. From personal experience of being a proactive community 'doer', I fully understand the personal pain and sacrifice in trying to keep everyone happy so whenever (if ever) someone gets chance to have a look is fine by me.... 8)

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue May 24, 2016 2:52 pm

I think it is fair to say that suggestions are welcome. But as Daniel says, some aspects that may appear to be simple, may not be. And as he says, protecting the basic functions must come first.

On all the devices that I regularly use, I stay logged in all the time (except for the workplace computers). So have not noticed the reduced information when not logged in.

Some minor quirks that I have noticed are:-
  • Sometimes when automatically I get logged out, when logging back in, I have to wait for a bit rather than immediately going to the active topics, otherwise I sometimes find I'm logged out again.
  • Sometimes when editing a very recent post, the forum gets confused and no longer displays all the recent edit, instead showing part of the previous entry.

It would be nice to change the colour of the code box text.

It would be nice to have the text of PMs in the automatically generated emails.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else at the moment :D

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

helpful

Postby helpful » Tue May 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Just for info:

On my phone (Galaxy Note, 1280x800 screen) I get the extra info column on the main Board Index page if I rotate the phone to landscape. But once in any of the forums or the Active Topics list (my usual way of reading StarDot), it always displays the cut down view. Also makes no difference whether I'm logged in or not.

Using NetSurf on RISC OS, it always displays the cut down view regardless of window size or logged in status.

Thanks for your work on the upgrade to make StarDot "less hackable"! =D>

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

sweh

Postby sweh » Tue May 24, 2016 3:30 pm

The only oddity I've seen (and it's not new; it was happening before the aborted upgrade/rollback) is that sometimes clicking on the "go to first unread message in thread" icon sometimes goes to an message 3 or 4 earlier in the thread. Hopefully the upgrade will fix this :-)
Rgds
Stephen

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue May 24, 2016 3:39 pm

sweh wrote:The only oddity I've seen (and it's not new; it was happening before the aborted upgrade/rollback) is that sometimes clicking on the "go to first unread message in thread" icon sometimes goes to an message 3 or 4 earlier in the thread. Hopefully the upgrade will fix this :-)

I find this mostly occurs when some of the posts include pictures and images.

Mark

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Tue May 24, 2016 3:52 pm

1024MAK wrote:It would be nice to have the text of PMs in the automatically generated emails.

Just wanted to pick up on this request in particular, as it was something the Admins covered in a recent call.

Whilst the 'fix' was in place - we, as administrators, had been receiving no end of email replies from members that had been using their email client to reply to private messages instead of the forum inbox (hence replies were being directed to contact@s.......org.uk instead of the intended recipient). That is, until, the feature got inadvertently disabled by the forum upgrade last September ... and since then there hasn't been any further occurrences (which is understandable!).

Furthermore, the feature was actually custom code that Samwise wrote himself ... and it's manual 'bodges' like this that we're now trying to steer away from - as it makes it more time-consuming to perform upgrades and you also risk breaking the forum in the process if there are incompatibilities with newer versions of phpbb.

So, as much as I miss the feature myself - it's very likely that the PM messaging system will stay as it is. Sorry!
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue May 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Arcadian wrote:
1024MAK wrote:It would be nice to have the text of PMs in the automatically generated emails.

<Snip>
So, as much as I miss the feature myself - it's very likely that the PM messaging system will stay as it is. Sorry!

Hey, no problem. I fully understand.

Mark

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:01 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Arcadian wrote:

<Snip>

Hey, no problem. I fully understand.

Mark
Without understanding exactly how phpBB works or how open they are to changes - maybe it could be done in phpBB itself? So the next site upgrade would pick up the feature (by then part of phpBB) and then *. gets the feature (and you don't have to worry about custom code because it won't be custom code anymore, but part of phpBB.) I'll just add it to my list of things to do ... cough ... :roll:

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Hey, hello Richard. Nice idea 8).

Why don't you add it to the TOP of your stack of things to do, instead of at the bottom :D :lol:

Mark

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:11 pm

good work folks =D> =D> =D>
this week two :shock: of my oldskool vinyl music forums went awol (I had 20k+ posts :( from 2004), and yesterday they both sort of said
"database got corrupted and there is no way of getting it back to a working state. Without a working database, all posts, members and everything else in between are lost and unable to be salvaged. There is no way around this."
so who ever keeps tabs on the ?weekly? backups, good call!
ImageImageImage

roland

Postby roland » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:40 pm

I have to reread my mail for the details but backups for the *. forums are taken care of.
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

jms2

Postby jms2 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:56 am

I've noticed a weird problem recently which might be due to the new forum software, but I'm not sure.

The notifications panel seems to be jammed. I always have 1 notification showing, which is that someone quoted me in a post about a week ago. It doesn't matter what I do, this notification doesn't go away, and I don't get any new ones either.

It doesn't particularly bother me, but I thought I should mention it in case it points to a deeper issue.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:20 am

I don't see the same issue (had 1 notification, click on it, post opens, Notifications [0] shows), so might be local to you - anyone else seeing this?

If you haven't already - can you try another computer/device to see if it "sticks" on there, too?

Return to “stardot.org.uk”