New look forum post crash

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
jms2

New look forum post crash

Postby jms2 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:55 am

I was sorry to hear about the problem with the site, and thanks to the administrators who managed to fix it. The swishy new design is quite nice, but...

Is there a way to customise the appearance at all? There certainly used to be on the old site, but I can't find anything on the user control panel now. Its not that I dislike the look, its just that everything is now so tiny it is really hard to click on things when using a tablet!

roland

Re: New look forum post crash

Postby roland » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:44 am

Dear admins,

I agree with Jon. The old layout had some nice features like the 'View new posts' links at the top of the page. Now this link is hidden behind a button at the left top. Maybe I just have to get used to this. After all, I also know that customizing and tweaking such an application might lead to difficult patch procedures which will sooner or later cause troubles.

Anyway I have already changed my password :!: Thanks for informing us and keep up the good work.

Greetings,
Roland
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:36 am

I miss the active topics, but as that was pretty much the only link I used, tapping/clicking/pressing refresh works too.
I thought the go to latest unread post icon was tiny, but if you are logged in, it is the large red scrolling text button on the left.
So, my "work" flow is: first time login, select active topics and then large scrolling icon, scroll down, back, refresh.

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:40 am

Hi both.

All the features are definitely still there - they just may be squirrelled away somewhere.

This topic would be a good place to collate feedback on the theme. Specifically, do people think this one needs any tweaking? - for example, we could experiment with increasing the font size, if people want.

Alternatively, we could also look at applying another new style ...

Also note that you could try bookmarking the Active Topics link (which is still there, under the menu button in the top left) if you want to get back to it quickly ...

Sam.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:54 am

The option to have a larger font could be useful for people with older eyes. :lol:
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:13 am

i hate new things :) , but i will cope with it.

also i don't change my password at all , if someone want to call himself duikkie so be it.
if there is any problems with it i will change the username to ZEUR DUIK :lol:
allso the email adres i use for this forum is there to dump all shit , in dutch you get it (if you see it)
my real email adress i never used in any forum on the internet.

no spam received on my email adress! but thats because it is for spam :) :mrgreen:

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:37 am

If anyone missed it, this was the holding screen that was sometimes displayed:-
StarDot Forum down, September 2015.png

Sometimes instead, a "phpBB" error message was seen instead. Occasionally a forum installation/set-up screen was seen.

I'm extremely grateful that the administrators managed to save the forum data and install the latest version of the phpBB forum software.
But at the same time, a little disappointed that member data has been stolen :twisted:

Having said that, I think there is a wider problem (at least for me).
This is picture of part of my junk email folder:-
Spam email September 2015.png

The blurred/smudged out names are real names of people I know that are on a email news distribution list (non-commercial). Because around 250 people are on this list, it is not known who has a compromised computer (if anyone). As you can see, there are two groups. Within each group the emails are very similar. There are some differences between the two groups, but they are somewhat similar.

One thing that is common, is the sender is not using an email address that the named person normally uses. So check for this.

Here is a screen shot of a sample spam email:
Sample of spam email 2015-09-14.png

So as the description of the spam that is suppose to have been sent as a result of the StarDot server being compromised also describes spam that I was already receiving, I can't tell if I have had any spam as a result of the stolen data. I don't remember deleting any spam emails on the 15th (I was busy so only opened important emails), and I can't see any spam email like described that I received on the 15th.

Never click on any of the links included in these emails (except on special systems that are extremely unlikely to be affected).

It is great that StarDot is now using the latest version of the phpBB forum software. As others have said, the look is different, and I also miss the very handy "View active topics" direct link. I'm a member of another forum that has been using a version of the phpBB forum software very much like this version (may even be the same, I have not checked). When using a touch screen device (iPad mini, iPhone), it is a right pain having to "click" through the "Quick links" drop down menu. On the other forum, it can be really frustrating, as it has more than one level of sub-forums, and "clicking" by touching does not always work how you would like on touch screen devices (iPad mini, iPhone). So if it is possible to add back the "View active topics" direct link at the top of all forum pages, that would make me happy [-o<

Oh, and here is a screen-shot of the forum before the outage:
StarDot Forum, as it looked prior to September 2015.png

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:44 am

Thanks for the screenshots, Mark. We still have access to the old theme so I was intending to post some reminder screenshots soon.

That sounds like another vote for a more accessible direct link to View Active Topics.

Any more for any more?

Also worth saying that whilst we can fiddle with the forum font size it will effect everyone (not just the older crowd!) so we have to make sure everyone is happy with what we end up with. Don't forget that anyone can increase the size of the font in their browser by doing Ctrl++ in their web browser (on a PC - check your browser settings if on tablet/mobile).

Sam.

Prime

Postby Prime » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:48 am

[quote="roland"]Dear admins,

I agree with Jon. The old layout had some nice features like the 'View new posts' links at the top of the page. Now this link is hidden behind a button at the left top. /quote]

Yep this is annoying, particularly if you are using the forum on a touchscreen tablet (as I often do at home).

I also think the font could do with being a touch larger for pretty much the same reason.

Less of a problem on a normal computer with mouse / keyboard tho.

Cheers.

Phill.

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:51 am

I'm seeing a consistent theme... I also want to encourage other users to throw their 2p's worth in here if they have an opinion, even if it is just to repeat what others are saying. That way, we can be sure it's not a minority view. Ta!

Sam.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:53 am

Samwise wrote:Don't forget that anyone can increase the size of the font in their browser by doing Ctrl++ in their web browser (on a PC - check your browser settings if on tablet/mobile).
Yep, I was already doing this, as it saves me putting me specs on (my extended family all have spectacles...).

So for me, I don't have any current issue with the text size.

Mark

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:04 am

I've been using phpBB 3.1.x for about 6 months now and can recommend some useful extensions:

Site Logo - easily add the *. logo to replace phpBB logo
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=536&t=2326916

Recent Topics - groups recent topics at top of forum
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=536&t=2306151

Aero Style - similar to old 3.0.x style
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=476&t=2269886

AreYouAHuman CAPTCHA - anti-spam registration
https://github.com/MartinEngelking/are-you-a-human-phpBB3.1

Private Message Box Status Bars - cosmetic
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=536&t=2282166

Topic Preview - hover over topic for preview
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=536&t=2292626

Scroll To Top - one click scroll to top of long thread
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=536&t=2282196

Auto Database Backup - backup on scheldule
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=536&t=2282191

Lightbox - image handler
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2236221

Tapatalk - yeah I know no-one wants this!
https://tapatalk.com/v2/forums/create?system=pb

All the above require no changes to the core code, just upload them to the ext folder and enable them. If you don't like them then simply disable/delete data and delete folder from ext, no harm done.
You could also set Main website URL/text in Board settings to point to http://www.stairwaytohell.com/
I don't know which mods you previously used but if there's anything you miss then I can probably recommend a replacement extension.

With the above extensions installed I've regularly updated from 3.1.2 through to 3.1.6 and never had any issues.
Last edited by Pernod on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:05 am

If it is possible to tweak the skin/theme...

Code: Select all

Although on a PC screen, this font is not as bad as on the old forum set-up, it is still hard to read on a iPhone/iPad. So can we, is it possible? To change this code text colour? PLEASE.

Earlier thread 'ere

Mark

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:07 am

@ Nigel

Some of your links appear to need wrapping in url tags...

Mark

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:16 am

1024MAK wrote:@ Nigel

Some of your links appear to need wrapping in url tags...

Mark

Thanks and fixed.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

paulv

Postby paulv » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:31 am

The font size for me is fine across all the devices I use which range from a beast of a laptop with full HD screen to android tablets to Windows phones. In fact, the new forum design is *easier* to read on the phone than the old one ever was.

I really miss both the active topics and new posts links being up front on the site.

Other than those two links being missing, I like the new design very much :D

Paul

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:49 am

Instead of trying to get agreement on global changes to the look and feel, isn't it possible to offer more than one theme and let each user choose the theme they prefer? The default one should be unmodified, as-distributed, and then it sounds like we need one which is easier to read for old eyes or small screens.

(Looks like I'm viewing at 125% already, as a browser choice. Which is the right way to do it, if possible.)

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:53 am

BigEd wrote:Instead of trying to get agreement on global changes to the look and feel, isn't it possible to offer more than one theme and let each user choose the theme they prefer?

Yes, can use extension Quick Style https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=536&t=2292716 to allow users to select their preference form all installed themes.
- Nigel

Wookie

Postby Wookie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:53 am

Only a couple of suggestions...

1) A darker theme would be nice, it would be easier on my tired old eyes.

2) Clearer distinction between threads with new posts and ones without, the pink or blue logo difference gets a bit lost IMHO.

3) Also could you loose the animated logo for topics with multiple pages, I find it draws your eyes to those threads rather than the ones with new content.

4) And finally (for now :twisted: ) when your reading a thread page if the username & avatar could be on the left rather than the right it would look better, it makes more sense to me as that way as we read from left to right.
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

paulb

Postby paulb » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:58 am

Wookie wrote:3) Also could you loose the animated logo for topics with multiple pages, I find it draws your eyes to those threads rather than the ones with new content.

Lose the animated logo? Yes please! I confuse it with topics with new posts. I also never liked the way that animated graphics tended to give my browser and CPU a work-out, which is still probably an issue.

Thanks for the admins for fixing the site and admitting that there had been an intrusion! It would also be nice if the description of the incident and the recommendations for users be more prominent, maybe as a sticky topic or something.

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:08 am

I have to say, I'm fine with the current theme - some things are in different places but that's OK. It's also MUCH better on a small mobile screen. As mentioned above,using quickstyle might be the way forward here :D

d.

MartinB

Postby MartinB » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:34 pm

paulv

Postby paulv » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:56 pm

MartinB wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Think happy thoughts Martin, it's OK to go to your safe place if you need to :wink:

Paul

paulv

Postby paulv » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:02 pm

I should add, I did see a SPAM mail that was a result of the hack the other day.

It was purportedly from Hugh who by chance is someone who I correspond with regularly but my mail client could clearly tell the difference and the offending mail went directly into my spam folder from where it was duly deleted without being opened :roll:

Paul

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:24 pm

I didn't get a spam email :(

Well done Peter for sorting this out so quickly, great job =D>

Re the new theme, it'll just take some time to get used to, as ever. For me it seems a little 'busy' and I certainly preferred the higher contrast colour scheme of the old board. If it were as simple as installing the old style, I'd say let's do that! Other phpBB boards I've seen have the option to select a theme from a number of presets as part of the user profile - that'd keep everyone happy I guess :)

Wookie

Postby Wookie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:57 pm

paulb wrote:Thanks for the admins for fixing the site and admitting that there had been an intrusion!

Now that is a very good point, I agree, a massive =D> to the site admins for not only fixing the site but being honest and admitting there had been a problem.

I don't use my password for this site anywhere else but I've changed it anyway, If somebody wanted to pretend to be me on here they'll probably write something more interesting than me anyway :lol:
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

poink

Postby poink » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Samwise wrote:That sounds like another vote for a more accessible direct link to View Active Topics.

I'd like much the same, but for 'New Posts' instead.

Samwise wrote:Don't forget that anyone can increase the size of the font in their browser by doing Ctrl++ in their web browser

You can also force a minimum text size in most browsers, which might be generally helpful.

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:02 pm

paulb wrote:I also never liked the way that animated graphics tended to give my browser and CPU a work-out, which is still probably an issue.

The animation takes half a desktop core for me.
I just bought some really cheap USB powered speakers, which pick up CPU/system noise a bit like the beeb speaker does, so it is both annoying and comforting - it sounds like a very quiet steam train chuffing along my desk!

sweh

Postby sweh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Samwise wrote:I'm seeing a consistent theme... I also want to encourage other users to throw their 2p's worth in here if they have an opinion, even if it is just to repeat what others are saying. That way, we can be sure it's not a minority view. Ta!

Sam.

Personally I hate the new theme. It's too busy and not obvious where to find things; colours changing as mouse move over things is distracting; popup boxes aren't obvious.

Basically this is "too clever"; form over function.
Rgds
Stephen

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:12 am

Firstly, Thanks for bringing site back so soon after the attack.

As for look of site, to be a stick in mud I'd like to see the layout and fields, ordering of data etc look like the old site. Lose the icons to the left, list who's posted last to a thread, who started thread (I could be wrong but don't see the former). View active topics should definitely be a one click at top of page. The colour scheme is fine, Iirc you could pick multiple themes previously. Font size fine and modern browser s allow us to zoom / magnify sites effectively to adjust font size to our own preference anyway.

Loved martinb s picture

Edited for phone typos
I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12

Return to “stardot.org.uk”