High Score Challenge S8 - R9 - Bug Eyes

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

High Score Challenge S8 - R9 - Bug Eyes

Postby KarateEd » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Stardot high score challenge
Season Eight: Round 9
Bug Eyes chosen by FourthStone

======================================================================================
RULES
:arrow: Round One starts at 9pm on Monday the 25th of December and ends at 9pm on Monday the 8th of January
:arrow: The aim is to score as many points as possible
:arrow: Post scores and screenshots/photographs in this thread
:arrow: The rules are here
======================================================================================
DISK IMAGE
:arrow: http://www.nomishooper.magix.net/Season8/09/BugEyes.ssd

Jools has verified this as a looping and working version - please use this going forward otherwise your score could be limited.....tx....Ed
INSTRUCTIONS

SCORING
:arrow: Points will be awarded using the following formula.
:arrow: points = (YS / BS * 50) + ((NOP - YP + 1) * (50 / NOP))
:arrow: YS = Your Score
:arrow: BS = Best Score
:arrow: NOP = Number of Players
:arrow: YP = Your Position
HIGH SCORE TABLE

Link to Overall High Score Table...http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13677

Thanks to Galax for the Mode 7 fonts.

Hope there are no 'bugs' in this one!!!.......Ed ...........

KarateEd

Re: High Score Challenge S8 - R9 - Bug Eyes

Postby KarateEd » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:32 pm

Just to get us started...... 22,390....

Ed...... :-)

BE1.png

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am

Was hoping this one would come up, not played it for absolutely years, very similar to Vindaloo. Best score so far, but who is Dominic and why is he a wally?
Attachments
BE1.jpg

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:32 pm

I've only briefly played this one before. Seems to be an even higher learning curve than Vindaloo on this, but I suppose that's necessary when there are only 10 levels. Definitely a lot of similarities between the two games (including some of the same sneaky tricks :))

Got to level 7 so far.

Attachments
bugeyes-45160.png

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Got to level 8.

Beware... I had a play using savestates as well, and after completing the game it completely locked up with a blank screen after a couple of seconds, with no way to take a screenshot. So if you do manage to complete the game, you'll need to be quick.
Attachments
bugeyes-53300.png

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:42 am

There we go, completed it.

Attachments
bugeyes-78060.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:29 am

So what happens? Does it not cycle again or is it a one shot pony?

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:23 pm

See previous post ;) - the game goes blank screen and completely locks up, forcing a full reload of the game if you want to play it again. You need to be quick getting the screenshot.

This might be one game where deliberately dying to gain points could be permitted - if you get to the last level and you have multiple lives left, then deliberately killing yourself on the bottom enemy could mean you run through the last level again for an extra thousand points or so, rather than having those extra lives going to waste. Quite a risky strategy, because these extra points come at the risk of failing to complete the last level later - but as the game is limited then it could be the only way to squeeze extra points out of the game.

Not an issue in my game above, because I only had 1 life left anyway.

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Did it again, but with a lot less hanging around this time, so more bonus points. Again, only 1 life left when getting into final level so didn't use the above mentioned strategy here.

Attachments
bugeyes-82410.png

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:14 pm

JoolsH wrote:See previous post ;) - the game goes blank screen and completely locks up, forcing a full reload of the game if you want to play it again. You need to be quick getting the screenshot.

This might be one game where deliberately dying to gain points could be permitted - if you get to the last level and you have multiple lives left, then deliberately killing yourself on the bottom enemy could mean you run through the last level again for an extra thousand points or so, rather than having those extra lives going to waste. Quite a risky strategy, because these extra points come at the risk of failing to complete the last level later - but as the game is limited then it could be the only way to squeeze extra points out of the game.

Not an issue in my game above, because I only had 1 life left anyway.

Losing a life on purpose should always be allowed. It makes no sense regulating everything, that only limits what you can do. Everything should be allowed unless it makes the game pointless.

I tried this game briefly and was reminded of the awfulness of Vindaloo. These games all go on my blacklist. The entry screen is quite telling, the option is just for keys left-right. So you have just 1 degree of freedom, that's not really freedom, that's more like a prison! :)

So I won't play this 'game'...

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:52 am

@Wouter,

We're well aware of your point of view Wouter on that rule but reiterating that won't get the rule changed. The majority have said they wouldn't like to change that rule and the admins totally agree.

This game seems to be a 'limited' type of game, too bad as it's quite good.

Not every game is going to suit everybody.....yadda, yadda, something I've also commented on before so....

Certainly, if you don't wish to play this game, it's ok with people on here, but the more the merrier and if you do end up playing it, maybe you'll change your mind about it..... I certainly hope so, this is just supposed to be fun but everyone's idea of fun may be different so personal choice may be different. I personally choose to play every game to add to my own experiences and to support the gaming community here at *.

Anyway, this is a 'chess match' type of game, solve each screens puzzle type and on to the next until everyone is within 300 points of each other.

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:52 am

Has anyone played and completed the game using the uef tape copy.
If that is OK, then maybe something either got broken doing the disc transfer or maybe the author did a rather nasty tape protection routine to deliberately break the game upon completion if not loaded from tape.
It is not the first time a author or software house has done this = Brian Jacks springs to mind. If this is the case then something along the lines of ?&3CA=&BC normally tricks the game.

Or maybe the author never expected anyone to complete it = maybe he didn't!!!

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 am

Not every game is going to suit everybody.....yadda, yadda, something I've also commented on before so....

Certainly, if you don't wish to play this game, it's ok with people on here, but the more the merrier and if you do end up playing it, maybe you'll change your mind about it..... I certainly hope so, this is just supposed to be fun but everyone's idea of fun may be different so personal choice may be different. I personally choose to play every game to add to my own experiences and to support the gaming community here at *.

Anyway, this is a 'chess match' type of game, solve each screens puzzle type and on to the next until everyone is within 300 points of each other.

I played it briefly and I couldn't stand it. Perhaps we should all get to give lists of not just of games we want to play, but of games that we don't want to play and then that game won't get selected :)

I was curious about the same thing Michael mentioned: what if the tape cracking or something else messed up the game? Are there different versions? Perhaps another one (of the cracked versions) goes back to screen 1?

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:22 am

Let's see if I can catch up with JoolsH... I'm up to level 3 but can't get past the spiders... 22,280

bugeyes.jpg

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:25 am

chrisn wrote:Let's see if I can catch up with JoolsH... I'm up to level 3 but can't get past the spiders...

Patience. It takes a *long* time for them to get into a position where you can get past them.

crj

Postby crj » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:Perhaps we should all get to give lists of not just of games we want to play, but of games that we don't want to play and then that game won't get selected :)

It doesn't harm you if people play a game you don't like. I mean, I've not played any of these games and I'm just fine!

Surely a better solution is to work towards having challenges more frequently, with a greater variety of games, so more people can be happy more of the time?

(OK, I'm not just fine. However, as the saying goes, I've got 99 problems but knowing there are people enjoying playing Bug Eyes ain't one.)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:

I played it briefly and I couldn't stand it. Perhaps we should all get to give lists of not just of games we want to play, but of games that we don't want to play and then that game won't get selected :)

I was curious about the same thing Michael mentioned: what if the tape cracking or something else messed up the game? Are there different versions? Perhaps another one (of the cracked versions) goes back to screen 1?

Yes, I know, there are games that we've played that I can't stand much as well. I play them anyway and usually do crap at scoring on those ones.

Compiling a list of games we don't like, to me, is a negative way to approach gaming. There are many different types of people in the world, including the Beeb world, and a game we don't like could easily be a game many others do like so, for now, we'll just continue on. Games that we don't like are always going to come up.

1 week for a challenge is too little time to really get into the game for most and for some, it's an eternity so that will stay at 2 weeks unless everyone complains that it's too long. For me it's just right, not too long, not too short. It gives people a chance to get to know the game and for those with limited time, it gives them a chance just to play it a few times before the next round. Everyone has different schedules.

To find this game in a 'fixed' mode would take someone like Jools who has gone through it a couple times already. You up for that Jools?

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:12 pm

sure after complete it goes round again, maybe this version is bugged, could try my tape version I putup ages ago??! SSearch either Zelda meets the bugeyes, as two same games just different character..

anyways , from the STH discs 132 /IC1-r1-0
Gets me 28,510 8)
Attachments
26060011_10155454687357730_6004829917951498238_o.jpeg
ImageImageImage

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:04 pm

I just tried the STH version from here, that version works fine - loops back to the beginning of the game again after completion. Looks like the version from the MB disk is buggy.

Assuming that we're switching to this version - completed, and died on level 2 the second time around:

Attachments
bugeyes-88240.png

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:15 pm

A bit better.

Attachments
bugeyes-103670.png

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Hmmm... that's a shame.
This is one of the few games that we had to alter to make it compatible with the datacentre.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6178&p=59797&hilit=Bug+eyes+datacentre#p58567
Maybe Billcarr could have another look at this?

Lee.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:11 pm

crj wrote:
Wouter Scholten wrote:Perhaps we should all get to give lists of not just of games we want to play, but of games that we don't want to play and then that game won't get selected :)

It doesn't harm you if people play a game you don't like. I mean, I've not played any of these games and I'm just fine!

Really? I died several times this year because of awful games that I couldn't play! I'm running out of lives! :)

crj wrote:Surely a better solution is to work towards having challenges more frequently, with a greater variety of games, so more people can be happy more of the time?

(OK, I'm not just fine. However, as the saying goes, I've got 99 problems but knowing there are people enjoying playing Bug Eyes ain't one.)

You twist things in a strange way. I don't mind nor care if anyone enjoys playing that game, it's just not a good game, not a fun game, and not one I will play.

I had actually thought about this (other formats) but few people even respond in the rules thread so reiterating my view on freedom is games is for that reason, so that people actually get to read other views and the reasons why, and I was thinking of telling some ideas for other formats long ago, but I didn't bother as there doesn't seem much interest in discussions. One of these ideas is this: For the case of games that people dislike or are really bad at, there could for example be 2 games played at the same time. Your best effort then of these will count.

As to a "don't want to play list": There needs to be balance everywhere. Negatives are handled strangely by many people, e.g. in sales mentioning bad points loses you sales even though you give a customer help. This aspect is also why there was originally no thumbs down for posts on some well known social site that I don't use (I only use VK) although I think that changed a year ago. But negatives are good for lots of areas: Negative aspects in reviews are the most useful ones because only then do you know what problems a product has and how a company responds. Negatives are handled appallingly in news which isn't news but 'bad news' (this beside the fact that almost reports on the news and in newspapers are manipulative drivel). Good and neutral news is handled appallingly too, by mostly omitting them... And in news/newspapers, for some perverse reason, despite the near absence of all good (or neutral) news, people feel the need to take note, despite journalists doing piss-poor research.

In games, I've seen many mentions of people disliking certain games, so why not make it more official and useful. A "I hate it" list of games instead of a "Great games" list, why not, would be useful. I'd like to see comments with games why people dislike it. Would be much more useful and more interesting than reading any "I love these games" list.

Not all games are good, acknowledging that doesn't mean a negative attitude towards gaming.

crj

Postby crj » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 pm

But this is all in the context of people selecting games for the High Score Challenge.

For that purpose, it only matters how many people like the game enough that they'll enjoy competing. You hate the game, whereas I'd never even heard of it and still hadn't played it so am completely indifferent. The distinction between your hate and my indifference is irrelevant.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm

crj wrote:But this is all in the context of people selecting games for the High Score Challenge.

For that purpose, it only matters how many people like the game enough that they'll enjoy competing. You hate the game, whereas I'd never even heard of it and still hadn't played it so am completely indifferent. The distinction between your hate and my indifference is irrelevant.

You don't understand why I wrote what I wrote, which explains why you made a comment earlier about others liking the game not influencing you. And so you think I care if others agree with my statements or views. And yet I explained it! Your comment "The distinction between your hate and my indifference is irrelevant" is irrelevant because I'm not interested in whether anyone else likes, dislikes or is indifferent about, that particular game... You and anyone else can put it on your favourite list, doesn't bother me. You are mistaking me for someone who wants to force opinions onto others and that they have the same views. I don't but I will point out in any conversations what makes sense or no sense and I will say that games are crap if they are.

(just FYI I had not really played this game before today, except as usual briefly trying it ca. 1995-1995 to set up the software archive. I was indifferent of course, and after briefly trying it I hate it, for lots of reasons)

crj

Postby crj » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:I played it briefly and I couldn't stand it. Perhaps we should all get to give lists of not just of games we want to play, but of games that we don't want to play and then that game won't get selected :)

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Whew, away on holidays and just checked in to post a starting score, great little game with pixel perfect timing required.

Good indicator for me if a game is fun is whether my kids pester me to let them have a turn, this game hits the mark in that respect.

Score: 27730
BugEyes.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:46 pm

Got level 3 done and almost through level 4. Beginning to believe I'll have a chance at this one..... 24,890

BE3.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am

High Score Tables Updated......

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:58 am

As usual, post the high scores and got a bit better score..... 26,800

BE5.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:27 am

Move up to level 7. Some of these levels are quite similar to Vindaloo. In fact at least 2 in the first 7 are similar enough to play them much the same way as in Vindaloo, shame, kind of spoils the happy event of discovery of the level. - 43,390

BE9.png