Re: High Score Challenge S8 - R5 - Cosmic Camouflage

Postby MatthewThompson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:48 am

Finally, a new high score .
Attachments
Cos.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:07 am

Just played this a few times in 2001 noting 1 score of 1390 and only the year. I guess I couldn't be bothered to write the exact date for that 'token' score. Now tried it a bit more. The cloak works well, you know from shooting where you are (same as with fortress and the force fields). I got to 5160, level 13 it was from the screenshot. Higher scores will take far more practice. Level 13 (I tried a few more games later to test, setting start level at 11 or so) is very hard and you need to use their homing in on you to clump stuff together I think, but in any case the game is very sluggish at that level, barely playable. I wonder what is possible but it looks as if superior set the scores fairly high in the pre-filled table and the sluggishness is not a good sign for playability at even higher levels. ..
Attachments
20171113_082619.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 am

Finally broke 4k.....

Ed...... :-)

CC8.png

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 am

Funny, isn't it, how perceptions of a game vary from one person to the next, as I have never been able to get to grips with the camouflage setting that Wouter can use so effectively. Perhaps I need to be moving around less whilst invisible, as even with the little "V" that appears when one moves I don't get a full sense of what my gun is aiming at. Might just be me.

I don't find the later levels unplayably sluggish - pretty crowded on account of the far smaller playing area than original Meteors, but not sluggish. If anything, the lack of time one has to make decisions compared to the earlier levels does polarise the thinking somewhat, and it's perhaps on account of this that I can often lose two or three lives on levels four or five but very rarely more than one at a time on any of the double-digit levels.

For what it's worth, and should anyone still be striving for top score as I'm typing this, my strategy in each game has comprised any or all of the following as circumstances have dictated:

1) From level two onwards, move slightly further towards one corner of the screen, whichever you feel most comfortable with, and try to blast everything in there just to give yourself a couple of precious seconds' wriggle room. I generally plump for a little move towards the top left-hand corner, but that's personal preference.

2) Don't use a radiation bomb until all of the homing bombs have been released from the aliens which bear them (apologies if this is obvious).

3) If at all practicable, and to develop a point I think Wouter was making, homing bombs are easiest dealt with when stacked up. If the screen is otherwise clear enough, and quite often even if it isn't, I tend to prefer staying on the vertical axis from the start position in the middle of the screen and just keep edging up it (including going through the top and appearing back out the bottom again) until the homers are finally all in front of me and hopefully lined up obligingly enough to be shot.

It doesn't always work, but works often enough, and funnily enough it works better still once low gravity kicks in from level nine onwards, as you can then also drift down the vertical axis unaided if the homers get a bit too close in front of you.

4) Another tactic which doesn't work every time, but works often enough, is to charge almost kamikaze-style at one of the sort of diamond-shaped homing aliens with a hail of bullets, killing both it and the homing bomb before the bomb gets any chance to sidestep your bullet. The thought originally occurred to me that if it's possible to accidentally let off too many rounds of ammo to shoot one of the power-up aliens and shoot the power-up as well, then so it must follow that homing aliens and their antibodies must be able to be dispatched in the same way.

The tactic doesn't appear to work with the homing aliens that carry three homing bombs, however, and bomb stacking or (if necessary) using a radiation bomb remains my preferred way to go with them.

As you may be able to tell, I've been enjoying my return to this title after a good quarter of a century hugely, which when all is said and done is really what it's all about. It plays a good game, it's addictive, and the only quibble I really have about the game engine is how wildly varying the quantity of power-ups supplied can be from one game to the next. Mind, that was a shortcoming of the BBC's port of Arkanoid as well and I still very happily played that to the point of exhaustion.

I would love to be able to rediscover the kind of form from all those years ago which allowed me to get to level 17, where the gravity increases by another increment and it all goes properly nuts - maybe another couple of quick blasts after work tonight?

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:17 pm

When I first saw this game chosen (I thank my wife for this) I thought.... oh no, not another bloody asteroids knockoff but this one is really good. It has lots of twists and turns compared to your run of the mill asteroid game.

I've utilized many of what you've said Wouter and they work, to a point. I also haven't mastered the CC function well enough to matter so my score stays somewhat sedated and will likely not move again before this competition is closed.

I'm finding this version of asteroids to be very entertaining, frustrating, fun, tough, challenging and fun.... oh yeh, did I mention it was fun?

Having said that, I'm still trying and am consistently in the 3k area so it's possible I may move it up a bit more.

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Every chance I'm going to be seeing those blasted green spores on the inside of my eyelids when I'm trying to get to sleep tonight, but goodness me it'll have been worth it... 6,075.

gc

20171113_190626.jpg

20171113_190737.jpg
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm

I haven't had much time to play this, sadly. I think I'm just starting to get the hang of it... 3225

cosmic2.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Final High Score Tables updated for this round......

Asteroids on steroids. Great game in my opinion. This time
Jeremy Grayson - outdid everyone. Great game Jeremy and congratulations. That was a well earned win. =D> =D> =D> Participation is key and this time we had 9 players which is more than I thought we might get for this round. Thanks all for playing a new (though old) take on asteroids. We'll move on now to Felix Meets the Evil Weevils. The page isn't up yet but I'm working on it.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Cosmic Camouflage was a good take on asteroids, adding some new features (gravity etc), decent graphics and sound but the most irritating thing for me which spoilt it was all the homing stuff, there will always be homing ships but to have 4 or 5 of them coming towards you at once, only to have them replaced by small homing green diamonds is a bit unfair, made it really frustrating, especially with only one smart bomb available.

Onto Felix and the evil weevils then, about time we had a challenge 'in the factory' or 'with the fruit monsters'

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Ta for the kind words, Ed, and thanks to Chrisn for throwing this one into the selection process in the first place. All very enjoyable!

It's a mark of a fun game that you play on even when no compulsion to have to, and I had another few goes after the competition deadline had passed last night - only then using the level skip that I hadn't touched beforehand.

Trying to battle through any of levels 14, 15 and 16 with just one of each type of power-up and three lives is hell on toast, as hitting the smart bomb at the start of any of them immediately fills the screen with something like 30 or 40 green homing bombs. In the very likely event of you dying straight after that, you're usually left with no alternative but to do Escape-E to quit your game, as a space in the screen never clears long enough for your spaceship to reappear safely. The nearest thing to a bug in an otherwise pretty watertight game engine, you'd have been hopping mad if that had cost you a high score.

For those levels, then, I tended to plump for the camouflage option (much as I'm still not entirely comfortable with it) immediately, then bounce gently on the spot in the low gravity, shooting everything that passed above me on the vertical axis and thrusting or falling if anything threatened to crash into me. Assuming this had taken care of several of the bomb-carrying craft, I'd then turn to the smart bomb.

It usually used up two lives to get that far, and in most instances there'd still be some homing bombs to have to dispatch by conventional means with my final life. Assuming I did manage to do that and win through the level, I'd just go on a kamikaze shooting spree right at the start of the next level, cash in the points from that, and die horribly :-D

By that means alone it was possible to run up scores somewhere in the region of 3,000-plus, simply because there are so many assailants on screen to pump up your score by then. However, as those wouldn't have been scores gained by starting from level one, I'd not have given the first thought to declaring those, even if I'd recorded them within the competition timeframe. I mention this entire strategy just in case anyone else feels like carrying on and playing further :-)

Levels 17 to 19, by the way, are actually very straightforward compared to what had preceded them, but are characterised by being the first three levels to feature the next increment of gravity (medium). Level 17 is simply just meteors, and the next two levels feature a bare smattering of homers, not really many more as were gradually introduced in levels two and three. So long as you don't mind the fact you'll disappear out of the bottom of the screen inside about a second without resorting to the thrust key, they're pretty conquerable (but at the same time pretty low-yielding in terms of points available).

Level 20 didn't seem too much more of a leap up on those, but I buried my last remaining craft into a meteor by accident and that was time for bed. Might just need to revisit this one again some day in the future, with just another 79 levels after 20 to try to conquer... :-D

gc

Return to “software: games - high scores”