Re: High Score Challenge S8 - R4 - Caveman Capers

Postby MatthewThompson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:58 pm

A new high score .
Attachments
CC7.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 pm

I also can't get myself to play this game after briefly trying it twice. I find the pixel perfect jumping after the part with the birds really annoying. A week or so ago when I tried it first I realised that you can move left/right even in the air when jumping but it seems the start of the jump needs to be right before the thing you are jumping over and this is just annoying. All pixel-perfect games are just an annoyance, which I guess I (and everyone else) just accepted in the 1980s as that was just how many games were, but these days, I don't like it. I had a look at the best games list and really I should do a re-evaluation of all games and find more games that I really like, and when I need a distraction, go to that 'best games (for me)' list to select one...

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm

@Wouter,

I found the same thing at first and then I realized there is a 'rhythm' to this game. It takes a while to find it, it's not just about pixel perfect because I've proven that with left and right movement you change how perfect the pixel jump has to be.

I didn't like this game at first but after figuring this out, I like it quite a bit now. There are definite patterns to be solved, 'rhythms' to discover and when you do these perfectly then the game is super smooth, mess any one of them up and it's a nightmare at times.

It's really hard to recover from a mistake in this game but you can and I have on certain parts.

Tough game but I think fair.

Ed....... :-)

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:46 pm

KarateEd wrote:@Wouter,

I found the same thing at first and then I realized there is a 'rhythm' to this game. It takes a while to find it, it's not just about pixel perfect because I've proven that with left and right movement you change how perfect the pixel jump has to be.

I didn't like this game at first but after figuring this out, I like it quite a bit now. There are definite patterns to be solved, 'rhythms' to discover and when you do these perfectly then the game is super smooth, mess any one of them up and it's a nightmare at times.

It's really hard to recover from a mistake in this game but you can and I have on certain parts.

Tough game but I think fair.

Ed....... :-)

Not sure I want to try again but ok, you convinced me :) I will give it a go this evening...

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:45 pm

A small improvement over my previous score, I'm not sure I'll do better than this... 5915

caveman-capers4.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:17 pm

I came SOOOOOOO close to finishing the whole second level...... within one or two jumps of the potholes. I made the mistake of counting the number of jumps which is 9 at the end of level 1 but it's more at the end of level 2.

All I had to do was keep jumping and I would have definitely finished the level....too bad.

Ed...... :-)

CC33.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:40 pm

FINALLY!!! Got through the whole second level. When I got to level 3 I thought I had only 1 life so lost 2 lives before I knew what hit me and the 3rd went fairly quickly too..... however I did break 10k and into the 3rd level which is an achievement of sorts....

CC34.png

EDIT: I believe the flags on the bottom right of the screen show how many levels you have completed, the ones on the left are the sections within each level that you are currently on.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 pm

High Score Tables Updated......

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:27 pm

Oh dear, more challenges. It seems once you've broken a level it's a bit easier to break it again. Once more I've lucked out and got into the 3rd level, 2nd wave this time and a slightly higher score.

Ed...... :=)

CC35.png

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 pm

KarateEd wrote:
richardtoohey wrote:Twitch ... those mushrooms ... managed to jump one, ONCE ... ](*,) 960 (seems to be the score you get when you are thwarted by the mushrooms of doom!)

Getting the same beeb-em corruption, might try in b-em (not that that will help my score!)cc.jpg

It also works better in JSBeeb but the corruption will eventually come and there sometimes is a hesitation that will lose you a life. To jump the mushrooms you have to jump up and move forward. Start your jump and bit before you get to the mushroom. it's a timing thing.

No new high score this time, but I've just seen the same corruption on real hardware. I do like how the high score challenge uncovers so many bugs in these games... :D

caveman-capers5.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:11 am

Well, tried a bit more but I just get too annoyed so no score from me this round...

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Got a bit higher score and a couple more waves up on level 3.....

CC36.png

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:52 pm

One last high score from me this round... 7355

caveman-capers6.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 pm

You still have about 1/2 hour to go Chrisn. You're at a point where your score could go up significantly if you can pass that level you're on.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:Well, tried a bit more but I just get too annoyed so no score from me this round...

Too bad Wouter, you're a good game player and once you discovered the rhythm, you would have done well as it's repeatable.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Just couldn't get a better high score, been trying for the last hour, but rarely got to the highest level, and couldn't beat my score, a great game, great tune, but frustrating at times, as things that seemed to work one game, didn't the next time, oh well, on to the next challenge !

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 pm

Final High Score Tables updated for this round......

Flying birds, mushrooms, potholes and newspapers, what could go wrong? This time
KarateEd - got lucky with the high score to win this round. I don't really like blowing my own horn but.... oh, wait a minute..... I guess I do.... ah well.... good competition folks, lots of good scores and plenty of people played. Participation is key, it keeps this thread moving so congrats to all that took this one on, bugs and all, now... on to the next one.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:59 am

KarateEd wrote:Hope it helps Richard.....
Oops, before I could try again, Super Mario Odyssey arrived ... I've lost a week somewhere ... :roll:

Return to “software: games - high scores”