High Score Challenge S8 - R2 - Manic Miner

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
barbarossa69

Re: High Score Challenge S8 - R2 - Manic Miner

Postby barbarossa69 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:21 pm

OK I think that's me done for this game. Got to Ore Refinery a couple of times but couldn't improve my score :(

Good fun though!

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:27 pm

MatthewThompson wrote:
KarateEd wrote:Matt, you said, how would you know? You know and so would everyone that plays the game. This game is a first for me and I know if someone is 'dying on purpose' for a better score. I thought I would try it to see if it made much difference and it gives one about 1/3 of your total score if you exploit the loophole. As you can see I adjusted my score to reflect playing properly. We can't have an admin abusing the very rules that they are trying to support so, yup, it makes a huge difference. Even though I'm new to this game, I can tell you exactly who got what score and how they got it.

One of the things that struck me was that you got to level 16 and your score for that level is fairly low so I see you were likely being very careful to achieve that level. I've had a very good score, almost as much as your score on level 13. That level is hard for me so far, only been past it once. I did that exactly by the rules so you could probably raise your score just by being a bit more efficient on some of the levels. The beauty of this game is some levels have different ways to complete them so it might be a disadvantage to having played it a lot before as habits set in. I have no such thing, well, I didn't but now I do as I pretty much play all the levels exactly the same way I've done before yet, the score system seems a tad arbitrary at times, not sure why, probably something that I'm not understanding in the scoring system.

In all fairness, you deserve the lead, that was one thing that led me to review my own practices and the practices of others.

Stay tuned as the rules will be revised so there is absolute clarity on games that have 'loopholes' to boost scores. We aren't lawyers so we shouldn't be exploiting loopholes..... otherwise we get that 'lawyer' reputation and as far as I remember, it's not really a good rep.

Ed...... :-)

I meant 'You' as in the context of you being the admin person. In that how would you know if it was a genuine score or not ? the player would know, but admin wouldn't. Hope that makes sense.

Actually I would know and you knew too..... simply because of the score and the level achieved for that score. I knew you didn't grab extra points when you achieved level 16. I could see by other's scores if they used that method. The only way you wouldn't know is if they somehow only achieved getting 2 2000 point boosts but the scoring does give it away.

On other games this may not be the case but I believe it is on this one as the scores for each level achieved are pretty close.

I'm very happy that everyone seems to have a better understanding of the rule, including me.

Thanks for your responses Matt, can always count on you.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:45 pm

KarateEd wrote:
MatthewThompson wrote:
KarateEd wrote:Matt, you said, how would you know? You know and so would everyone that plays the game. This game is a first for me and I know if someone is 'dying on purpose' for a better score. I thought I would try it to see if it made much difference and it gives one about 1/3 of your total score if you exploit the loophole. As you can see I adjusted my score to reflect playing properly. We can't have an admin abusing the very rules that they are trying to support so, yup, it makes a huge difference. Even though I'm new to this game, I can tell you exactly who got what score and how they got it.

One of the things that struck me was that you got to level 16 and your score for that level is fairly low so I see you were likely being very careful to achieve that level. I've had a very good score, almost as much as your score on level 13. That level is hard for me so far, only been past it once. I did that exactly by the rules so you could probably raise your score just by being a bit more efficient on some of the levels. The beauty of this game is some levels have different ways to complete them so it might be a disadvantage to having played it a lot before as habits set in. I have no such thing, well, I didn't but now I do as I pretty much play all the levels exactly the same way I've done before yet, the score system seems a tad arbitrary at times, not sure why, probably something that I'm not understanding in the scoring system.

In all fairness, you deserve the lead, that was one thing that led me to review my own practices and the practices of others.

Stay tuned as the rules will be revised so there is absolute clarity on games that have 'loopholes' to boost scores. We aren't lawyers so we shouldn't be exploiting loopholes..... otherwise we get that 'lawyer' reputation and as far as I remember, it's not really a good rep.

I meant 'You' as in the context of you being the admin person. In that how would you know if it was a genuine score or not ? the player would know, but admin wouldn't. Hope that makes sense.

Actually I would know and you knew too..... simply because of the score and the level achieved for that score. I knew you didn't grab extra points when you achieved level 16. I could see by other's scores if they used that method. The only way you wouldn't know is if they somehow only achieved getting 2 2000 point boosts but the scoring does give it away.

On other games this may not be the case but I believe it is on this one as the scores for each level achieved are pretty close.

I'm very happy that everyone seems to have a better understanding of the rule, including me.

Thanks for your responses Matt, can always count on you.

No problem, happy to help, I must admit I did see other scores, where players had got higher scores but on lower levels than I had got to, which was a bit annoying and was wondering how it was happening, now I know ! (just seen the next round - bring in it - great game, shame it's not the sit in arcade version!)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:05 pm

High Score Tables Updated......

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 pm

I've been playing quite a bit but somehow kept getting stuck on level 6... but this time I got past it, dispatched Kong - only once, mind :wink: - and very nearly beat the wacky amoebatrons... Great game, a true classic. 17,238

and +1 to fair play! =D>

manicminer3.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 am

Final High Score Tables updated for this round......

A fun game I'm sure for many of us. This time
BarBarossa69 - congratulations BB, came out on top just barely edging out MatthewThompson and KarateEd. Congratulations on a great competition folks, I hope a lot of fun was had with this one =D> =D> =D> Also congrats to Matt for reaching the highest level of anyone in this game.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:07 pm

A true 8 bit classic - along with the likes of Chuckie Egg. A great game, in which the BBC version is pretty good compared to the Speccy original, a couple of the later levels are slightly different, and it doesn't have the horrendous title page music of it either.

If I'd of had more time would of probably got a bit further than Level 16 only got there once, and lost my last life straight away !

barbarossa69

Postby barbarossa69 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Yeah I agree. I really enjoyed that. Brought back a lot of memories! :)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 pm

I loved it too. This is one of the things that I like about the competition. This is another one I never played bitd. It was pure pleasure once I figured out.

Return to “software: games - high scores”