Season 8 Game Nominations

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Season 8 Game Nominations

Postby KarateEd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Folks,

Onto Season 8 then......Please post your 3 chosen games using the guidelines below and submit them in this thread. Please ensure the game exists online (I'll continue posting so that you can download from the Complete BBC Games Archive - http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php). If it doesn't exist there then please check that it exists in the pages here: http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/index.html?page=diskimages If you know of an internet location of a game that isn't at either of these sites (highly unlikely though) then please post that for me.

It will start on September 4th, 9:00 PM UK time. Cutoff for admitting games will be September 1st at 9:00 PM UK time in order to give me time to get the 8th season site set up so we can start on time.

Again, please submit (ONLY) 3 games that you like. The stipulation is that they must not have yet been played within Season 6 or 7. If you have a game(s) that wasn't chosen in Season 6 or 7 then you may Choose it for Season 8. If there are duplicate games chosen (if you check the list though, there shouldn't be) then whoever chose the game first keeps the choice and the duplicate entry may choose a different game if they wish. See up to 3 game rule below.

Try also to choose 3 games that make sense as a score competition. ie: Elite or Revs don't make sense for this competition. There must be a proper score within whatever game is chosen or it will be replaced. Also, the games should not be ones that take forever to play through one go otherwise few will want to play it. If you're proficient then the game may get long but first you must be proficient and that's ok.

If you don't want to choose 3 games, you don't have to but it will allow us more choice for Season 8.

Some games have the ability to start different ways..... ie: different levels to start. If you have a preference, kindly let me know.

These are more guidelines than rules but I think most people understand how it works.

It's a crap shoot what games are chosen. It's completely random (my wife picks a game from a bowl that is raised over her head so she can't see in. Also, the papers are folded so she could be looking at them and still not see so it's more random than the random generator in the Beeb.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but I will get the thread set up for choosing your games for Season 8.

If you have any questions, please hold them for the thread that needs to be set up and I'll answer them in there for everyone as well as possible. Also note that Sydney is an admin for this section of the site and can answer anything that's asked as well.

Thanks again everyone for participating and see you in the next round.

Just so everyone is aware of what was chosen the last 2 seasons, please don't choose any of these games.....tx....Ed...... :-)

S6.png
(7.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Season 7
S7.png
(6.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Ed...... :-)

Wouter Scholten

Re: Season 8 Game Nominations

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:19 pm

I think it would be nice not to have any of the classics, but rather unknowns or relatively recent ones, that could be interesting but have not had much attention.

So I suggest:

- Opus: A maze in space
- Atari: Asteroids deluxe (possibly on easy+shields ?)

Not sure about 3rd choice, but perhaps:
- Empire: Pipemania

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 pm

All 3 are on the BBC Games Archive so we're good there. I don't discourage the 'standards' because there may be people like myself who never got a chance to play those only having a Beeb for about 10 months while in Iceland. For those that have played all those standards but don't want to, by all means choose other games.

For myself, I choose games that look interesting to me but for the most part probably haven't played so will likely choose a classic more easily than others, not knowing the difference.

I will try to choose less known if I can because I like your thinking there. It keeps it fresh and allows us all to learn and experience games we may not ever have played.

Good suggestion Wouter,

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 am

Manic Miner - Software Projects

Creepy Cave - Atlantis

Caveman Capers - Icon

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 am

Last edited by FourthStone on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Good shout for Bug Eyes, I was going to suggest that one, it's basically Vindaloo but in space !

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:00 pm

MatthewThompson wrote:Good shout for Bug Eyes, I was going to suggest that one, it's basically Vindaloo but in space !

I really enjoyed Vindaloo and while we were playing it someone (may of been you) suggested Bug Eyes is virtually the same so hopefully it gets drawn and we can have a good reason to play it some more :D

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:20 pm

FourthStone wrote:My offerings for Season 8:

3. Zenon
http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=684

Hi FS,

Zenon was chosen in Season 6 and as much as I like the game, would you please choose another one?

You may have read my tome before I added Season 6 as a no pick zone as well.

Thanks,

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:30 pm

KarateEd wrote:Zenon was chosen in Season 6 and as much as I like the game, would you please choose another one?

You may have read my tome before I added Season 6 as a no pick zone as well.

Ooops :oops: Probably should of checked first, it was one of those games I stumbled across while randomly searching through bbcgames site. Will find another and update my list.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:13 pm

NP FS.....

I've added ping files that show what's been chosen during those 2 seasons. Zenon was quite fun and was new to me when we did it.

This is what I love about the game challenge...... games I've never played but learn fairly well because of 2 weeks of intensive play.

Likely I wouldn't learn most of these games that well if left to my own devices so thank you all for participating.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Updated my third choice to good old chuckie egg, mostly because I've never really played it a lot and would like to have a good reason to get into it more.

Viva la game on!

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 pm

KarateEd wrote:Likely I wouldn't learn most of these games that well if left to my own devices so thank you all for participating.

And thank you for organising the competition! For the next round I'd like to nominate:

Cosmic Camouflage (Superior)
Star Wars (Domark)
Krakout (Gremlin)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:16 am

My pleasure Chris,

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:07 am

KarateEd wrote:All 3 are on the BBC Games Archive so we're good there. I don't discourage the 'standards' because there may be people like myself who never got a chance to play those only having a Beeb for about 10 months while in Iceland. For those that have played all those standards but don't want to, by all means choose other games.

For myself, I choose games that look interesting to me but for the most part probably haven't played so will likely choose a classic more easily than others, not knowing the difference.

I think for me it's quite similar as I didn't have many games. I bought a few in 1984, got several for e.g. Christmas or birthday, no copying, tried out a few more games in the shop where I bought my BBC micro, but that's it. This means I didn't play most BBC micro games until 1995 when I bought a 2nd BBC micro, with Opus Challenger and lots of disks with copied games. I tried out a lot of the games that I had never seen before (and from ca. end of 1995 started putting them on my website). So for me classic means: The well known popular games and/or the early Acornsoft arcade conversions that you got a peek at in the catalogue included with any BBC micro... Popularity I would estimate (or rather: get a feel for) from how often people put it on their list of favourites , from top seller lists (in e.g. Acorn user, where you see the order of games in how many sold per month), etc.

As non classics that are worthy, or might be worthy, of having a closer look, a few more than in my list of 3 suggestions that I already made, spring to mind (from briefly playing them ca. 1995-1996), though perhaps some are/were quite popular, not sure: Tetrapod, Nutcraka, Contraption. I could make another account here (I know that is a highly regarded practice here) and suggest them! ;-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:56 pm

I hear you Wouter,

I had about 10 months of gaming on the Beeb, some assembler, some Pascal and that's it. I had maybe 10 games in total so really never knew enough of the Beeb to make that call. What's been happening with me is I've come across games by playing in this challenge that I normally wouldn't play, they didn't look appealing. However I've discovered, through other's efforts some pretty darned good games.

I wish I had the time to research all the games but it's enough of an effort just keeping this gaming going for now, even though I'm retired. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can just kick back and relax during retirement, nothing is further from the truth.

Anyway, thanks primarily to the UK community, my love for the Beeb and it's software have grown immensely. Even though I'm Canadian, I have strong ties to the UK. My Great Grandmother was English, last name of Cool and so there is something in my blood that lets me relate in a very good way with the island and their people.

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:40 am

Tetrapod is an excellent shout, Wouter - would definitely like to see this game doing people's heads in (mine included) during season eight.

My three nominations for this season in full are:

- Tetrapod (Acornsoft)
- Proteans (dk' Tronics)
- Felix Meets the Evil Weevils (Micropower)

I suspect my participation in one or two of the rounds will be limited or even nil, owing to a wedding, honeymoon and house move all inside four weeks, but we'll see. Might be a case of stealing a game or two on (gulp!) an emulated version of the selection on my work PC over lunchtime...

Cheers!

Jeremy

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

sydney

Postby sydney » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 pm

My nominations:

1 Acid Drops
2 Skirmish
3 Uridium

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:43 am

These are my 3 choices for the next season.....

1. HunkyDori
2. Crazy Painter
3. Frenzy

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi Folks,

Don't be left out of the possibility of your game being chosen for play in the coming season of the High Score Challenge.

One week left to choose your games folks, the more we have, the better the variety of play should be.

Thanks,

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm going with:

The Mine
Bumble Bee
Corporate Climber

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Nominations for Season 8 are closed!

Thanks for your selections,

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:51 pm

I know it's too late for this season but I've just done a quick check on this forum and I believe that Dare Devil Denis has never been chosen for a challenge.

Just saying......

Return to “software: games - high scores”