High Score Challenge S7- Champ - Rocket Raid

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
ctr

Re: High Score Challenge S7- Champ - Rocket Raid

Postby ctr » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:43 pm

KarateEd wrote:These are exactly the symptoms that I've been facing and it's extremely frustrating because it should be a bit smoother. I'm not sure if it's an emulator issue or if it happens in hardware too. I played this on real hardware last time it was part of the challenge and was able to get past the maze part with relative ease however I'm unable to get very far through the maze at all since the keys are botched.

I'm pretty sure it's an emulation problem. As a kid I completed the maze a couple of times (though I never hit the final target) and I don't remember it being especially difficult. I've really had to work for it this time. Rocket Raid has always been a frustrating game though.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:51 pm

ctr wrote:[quote="KarateEd"As a kid I completed the maze a couple of times (though I never hit the final target) and I don't remember it being especially difficult. I've really had to work for it this time. Rocket Raid has always been a frustrating game though.

It is not so difficult to get through the maze, but it is definitely difficult to get through the final part of it without losing a life at the end of the maze. You then continue on the next section if you die, so you can do the whole thing again but this means being limited to doing the loop 4 times which means a score of a bit more than 80k at best (which I think I did do long ago before my 70k score in 1996)... This is why the high scores in e.g. AU 1984-10 are ca. 61k for someone who scored around the same time ca. 488k with Planetoid. Only once you master the end of the maze is it possible to get much higher scores.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:14 pm

A frustrating game that has strange key mappings but.....we have a clear winner of the Championship round for Season 7. This time Wouten Scholten got a fairly high score for this game and continues to shine, even when the game is not entirely to his taste. A huge congratulations to you Wouten....not an easy game at all =D> =D> =D>

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Folks,

That concludes Season 7 with satisfactory results. Thank you one and all for participating in the Season and keep on gaming.

I will set up another season that will start on September 4th. Cutoff for admitting games will be September 1st at 9:00 PM UK time in order to give me time to get the 8th season site set up so we can start on time.

Again, please submit (ONLY) 3 games that you like. The stipulation is that they must not have yet been played within Season 6 or 7. If you have a game(s) that wasn't chosen in Season 6 or 7 then you may Choose it for Season 8. If there are duplicate games chosen (if you check the list though, there shouldn't be) then whoever chose the game first keeps the choice and the duplicate entry may choose a different game if they wish. See up to 3 game rule below.

Try also to choose 3 games that make sense as a score competition. ie: Elite or Revs don't make sense for this competition. There must be a proper score within whatever game is chosen or it will be replaced. Also, the games should not be ones that take forever to play through one go otherwise few will want to play it. If you're proficient then the game may get long but first you must be proficient and that's ok.

If you don't want to choose 3 games, you don't have to but it will allow us more choice for Season 8.

These are more guidelines than rules but I think most people understand how it works.

It's a crap shoot what games are chosen. It's completely random (my wife picks a game from a bowl that is raised over her head so she can't see in. Also, the papers are folded so she could be looking at them and still not see so it's more random than the random generator in the Beeb.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but I will get the thread set up for choosing your games for Season 8.

If you have any questions, please hold them for the thread that needs to be set up and I'll answer them in there for everyone as well as possible. Also note that Sydney is an admin for this section of the site and can answer anything that's asked as well.

Thanks again everyone for participating and see you in the next round.

Ed...... :-)

Return to “software: games - high scores”