High Score Challenge S7- R10 - Galaforce 2:Alien's Revenge

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Wouter Scholten

Re: High Score Challenge S7- R10 - Galaforce 2:Alien's Revenge

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:12 pm

KarateEd wrote:I'm not in that stratosphere yet but coming along. I think the challenge is getting to know the level patterns. You've obviously played this enough to get to know that. For me this game is a first so it's going to be slower building up a good score.

Actually, I played it quite briefly in 1996, on just 3 days, starting on 26-6-1996 with a first score of 21910, then climbing to 122090 on 28-6-1996, then not playing it long time, then 1 day again on 8-2-1997 and then I got to 129490 (starting on level 1) and 141770 (starting on level 16), but I wasn't interested in playing further. [ yes I know the exact dates as I wrote it all down :) ]

I just need to play it a few times and I know the levels. And even if you don't know them, you can hack it most of the time...

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:39 pm

So, let me get this straight..... you've kept records of what your scores were from way back then?

Ed...... :-)

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:06 pm

KarateEd wrote:So, let me get this straight..... you've kept records of what your scores were from way back then?

Yep, don't you write down scores? I only do it for games that I played more than let's say a few minutes (I tried out a lot of games then, usually briefly, when setting up the software archive on my website which then also went to Robert Schmidt's site). I didn't note the dates of some scores, esp. with games that I knew I had a higher score with in the 1980s and also with score improvements in 1 day I only wrote the date for the last score that day. Adding the dates was a good idea as it's quite interesting to note the score improvements over time, with e.g. Planetoid. I have 1 page handwritten (1995-1996), then in 1996 I printed it all out (3 pages) and on that added my later scores (incl. now of galaforce) in pen/pencil.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Well, I don't have any scores from the 80s..... I got my first Beeb in 1984 while in Iceland. I really have only recorded what I've done in the High Score Challenge and yes, I have all of those because it's easy to keep records on today's computers. I just never thought of doing that in the good ol' days.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:19 pm

On the subject of high scores, I had one for Firetrack published in Let's Compute!

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:31 pm

MatthewThompson wrote:On the subject of high scores, I had one for Firetrack published in Let's Compute!

On this topic, I'd be interested in high score lists in magazines, in which are printed high scores? I've gone through Acorn user, micro user (but not sure I have all as I didn't go through them all), and beebug (but I think most of the supplements in which high scores were printed are missing from the pdfs on 8bs, there must have been more...), will put that on my site soon. Also with some discussions about questionable scores (for the BBC micro: such as no distinction between electron and BBC versions made in AU).

And I don't have most of my scores from 1980s any more as ca. 1992 a lot was thrown away, but I do remember approx. what these 'missing' scores were. I never had many games at that time, so not difficult to remember approximate scores. 1995 was a new start for playing BBC games... And 2017 too :)

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45 am

Is everyone busy practicing? Well good, then I have a new high score for you to aim for: 215740. I was up late and thought I'd give this game one more go. As it was going badly in the beginning (quickly lost 2 lives) I experimented. I remembered on level 5 the last cube gives an extra smart bomb (and actually these fix the problem of level 16), and an extra life on level 8. Further I played the level where the red thingy spouts white thingies for maximum points and despite not having fast fire for many levels in the end a good score.
Attachments
20170719_023828.jpg

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:51 am

Wouter Scholten wrote:Is everyone busy practicing?

Practicing yes, have gotten close to my previous high score but not quite in the zone.

I noticed comments about certain bonuses on specific levels so I started to map out some of them... seems they aren't random at all and if your brain can keep up with the waves of enemies and keep count of the bonus boxes then it may help. For me it just seems to befuddle my concentration if I'm trying to keep count but sometimes it seems to work out.

Would be good to build up a list of every bonus or at least have a list of worthwhile bonuses to aim for.

Bonus Boxes:
#1 - Rapid fire, near end wave 1
#2 - Up/Down move disable, early in wave 2, avoid this!
#3 - Flash bomb, end of wave 2, stay left
#4 - 1000 points, start wave 4, can't detect any +/- other effects
#5 - Rapid fire, end wave 4 (after boss)
#6 - Ultra rapid fire? Seems faster again
#7 - Slow move, this one really blows :lol:

Bit more work to do, anyone else have specific bonuses they aim for?

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 pm

I hear you on this one FS. Very hard to follow the later boxes as the ol' mind just doesn't want to handle all that extra data while it's trying to kill/avoid alien entities during the battle. Usually for me, when I get to a level I just seem to 'know' what the box does, mainly because I've found out the hard way at times. On occasion I end up hitting the box by accident and pay for it, temporarily forgetting it's scourge.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:07 pm

KarateEd wrote:I hear you on this one FS. Very hard to follow the later boxes as the ol' mind just doesn't want to handle all that extra data while it's trying to kill/avoid alien entities during the battle. Usually for me, when I get to a level I just seem to 'know' what the box does, mainly because I've found out the hard way at times. On occasion I end up hitting the box by accident and pay for it, temporarily forgetting it's scourge. Also keep an eye out for the cubes as I don't want them most of the times.

What I do is this:I keep Return pressed, I don't look at the aliens (except to be in a position where they don't run into me and I want to be in a position where the distance to them is biggest as that means more time to react to bullets), as my shots will hit most of them and who cares anyway if you get all of them or not, and I only look out for the aliens' bullets...

By the way, that the power up/downs are not random is stated in the intro text...
By the way 2: it may have been level 7 where I got the extra life.
By the way 3: Up down movement: Don't care about losing that, I normally don't use it.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I gave it one more try to see about beating Jeremy Grayson's score on beebgames.com, and you guys now have an even higher target... 359,060 (I think that's it from me for now even though I feel that I can go on to a much higher score, but there's no challenge in it as it doesn't seem to get harder, the essence is watching out for alien bullets...).
Attachments
20170720_190557.jpg

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 pm

New high score.
Attachments
GFHIGH2.jpg

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:48 am

I avoid shooting the boxes once I have the rapid fire. Getting better... 98,730

galaforce3.jpg

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:41 am

FourthStone wrote:I noticed comments about certain bonuses on specific levels so I started to map out some of them... seems they aren't random at all and if your brain can keep up with the waves of enemies and keep count of the bonus boxes then it may help. For me it just seems to befuddle my concentration if I'm trying to keep count but sometimes it seems to work out.

Can absolutely assure everyone that they're not random - every box follows the same behaviour ascribed to it each time, all the way through the 16 galaxies.

I had a complete list of these somewhere that I'd drawn up 16 years ago when I played little else for two months (hence the score of mine that Wouter cited that I'm not getting remotely close yet to this afternoon :-( ). I wish I could find it, if only to warn you all about one box later on that costs you a life!

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Another couple of hours spent on this whilst there's a pause in procedings, and came up with the following - 206,180, galaxy 22.

Chrisn's post reminded me of the strategy which served me so well in the past - get rapid fire, and then studiously avoid virtually all of the boxes thereafter (apart from the ones I could remember as giving extra lives, smart bombs or 1,000 point bonuses - if in any doubt, I ignored them).

There are actually a number of ways to points-whore in this game as there were in the original Galaforce, albeit the "multiplier" sequences start occurring far later on in this sequel (from galaxy 8, with the Deck Of Cards from Galaforce making a reappearance in galaxy 13, I think it is). That's all academic to me, however, as I've declined absolutely every opportunity to whore - to an extent having the rapid-fire box prevents one from doing so anyway, as it fires too indiscriminately to enable the careful shooting required to keep multiplier aliens alive.

Incidentally, does anyone fare better using the narrow screen toggle? Time was that I used to, and for no reason that I can fathom as it plays the same; but this high score has been gained with the screen at its default setting.

gc

026.jpg

029.jpg
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:
KarateEd wrote:So, let me get this straight..... you've kept records of what your scores were from way back then?

Yep, don't you write down scores? I only do it for games that I played more than let's say a few minutes (I tried out a lot of games then, usually briefly, when setting up the software archive on my website which then also went to Robert Schmidt's site). I didn't note the dates of some scores, esp. with games that I knew I had a higher score with in the 1980s and also with score improvements in 1 day I only wrote the date for the last score that day. Adding the dates was a good idea as it's quite interesting to note the score improvements over time, with e.g. Planetoid. I have 1 page handwritten (1995-1996), then in 1996 I printed it all out (3 pages) and on that added my later scores (incl. now of galaforce) in pen/pencil.

I've got a big long list of all of the personal high scores I've set on games, plus the dates on which I achieved them, but previous superseded bests aren't kept - Wouter's one up on me in terms of fastidious recording of scores, as well as now in terms of recording a high score on Galaforce 2!

gc

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:16 am

New high score, probably as good as it will get now.
Attachments
GF222.jpg

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:09 am

Broke 100k, not by much though, made some really silly errors once I knew I was getting close to my previous score...

Score: 103740
galaforce2.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:49 pm

I also broke 100k, finally......

Galaforce10.png

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:18 pm

FourthStone wrote:Broke 100k, not by much though, made some really silly errors once I knew I was getting close to my previous score...

KarateEd wrote:I also broke 100k, finally......

Me too :-D 118,130

galaforce4.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Jeremy Grayson wrote:There are actually a number of ways to points-whore in this game as there were in the original Galaforce, albeit the "multiplier" sequences start occurring far later on in this sequel (from galaxy 8, with the Deck Of Cards from Galaforce making a reappearance in galaxy 13, I think it is). That's all academic to me, however, as I've declined absolutely every opportunity to whore - to an extent having the rapid-fire box prevents one from doing so anyway, as it fires too indiscriminately to enable the careful shooting required to keep multiplier aliens alive.

Don't agree with this as the score is limited, after a while the alien 'fountain' stops... It's no different than to kill all the aliens in any of the other sequences on the screen, but of which you can't kill the source... Staying below the cloud of aliens from the fountain is actually quite risky as they are not far from you, esp. at levels 16+ as I feel there you get more of the fast bullets which are just too fast to evade most of the time and so there I would not recommend it. The difficulty in this game is keeping alert, usually I die and then think "What happened!?", as I often get into a state of relaxation which is too relaxed :)

By the way, instead of playing Galaforce 2 more, the past few days I tried the original Galaforce a bit, and that is a lot harder. I played it first 'seriously' (so more than a few minutes, i.e. apart possibly from trying out very briefly as I mentioned in an earlier posting) in 2001, curiously, and though I improved upon my score from then the alien multiplier that runs across the entire screen is a level that I still have not mastered. And may never! ;-) My best with that is now: 32190

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm

I agree with Wouter here. The 'fountains' eventually finish and Galaforce is a much harder (and better!) game. When playing Galaforce I'd always destroy 2 of the fountain ships immediately as I couldn't cope with 4 at once.

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:By the way, instead of playing Galaforce 2 more, the past few days I tried the original Galaforce a bit, and that is a lot harder. I played it first 'seriously' (so more than a few minutes, i.e. apart possibly from trying out very briefly as I mentioned in an earlier posting) in 2001, curiously, and though I improved upon my score from then the alien multiplier that runs across the entire screen is a level that I still have not mastered. And may never! ;-) My best with that is now: 32190

Is the multiplier you're referring to The Snaker that first appears in level 11? I do find that the single hardest thing in the game; but if I get myself right under the head of the snake on the left-hand side in time, then move very smoothly across from left to right and back again firing like the possessed, I can often crack it.

It's either level 13 or 15 which features two Snakers, one left-handed and one right-handed, and if I can defeat both of those I know I'm having a good day :-)

gc

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Jeremy Grayson wrote:
Wouter Scholten wrote:By the way, instead of playing Galaforce 2 more, the past few days I tried the original Galaforce a bit, and that is a lot harder. I played it first 'seriously' (so more than a few minutes, i.e. apart possibly from trying out very briefly as I mentioned in an earlier posting) in 2001, curiously, and though I improved upon my score from then the alien multiplier that runs across the entire screen is a level that I still have not mastered. And may never! ;-) My best with that is now: 32190

Is the multiplier you're referring to The Snaker that first appears in level 11? I do find that the single hardest thing in the game; but if I get myself right under the head of the snake on the left-hand side in time, then move very smoothly across from left to right and back again firing like the possessed, I can often crack it.

It's either level 13 or 15 which features two Snakers, one left-handed and one right-handed, and if I can defeat both of those I know I'm having a good day :-)

gc

Oh, no the one on level 3!! After the 4 that spout from fixed position there comes a part where a few aliens come and go left-right and spout nasties from any position. I often get more through by luck it seems. I often lose a life from having a situation of a vertical line of aliens without a gap that you need to try to get into which is almost 100% likely to be suicide. I've progressed a bit and possibly with a bit more trying out I will have the right strategy to get through that without losing a life, but it's hard. The yellow snake, ha, saw it only a few days ago. In 2001 I quit playing after getting a score of ca. 25k as level 3 (and another level where you get the same again) was so frustrating.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:50 am

Final High Score Tables updated for this round......

A fun game that was for some, not much of a challenge. This time
Wouten Scholten got an extremely high score for this game and just blew everyone else right out of the water in this round. A hardy congratulation goes out to you Wouten.... =D> =D> =D>

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:55 am

Huge congrats out to FourthStone who is the overall champion of season seven. What this means FourthStone is that you get to pick any game you wish for the Champion's High Score Challenge. Please let me know as soon as possible so I can make up the page...tx..... and way to go on your overall victory FourthStone on an overall very close race with errrrrr....... some of us!!!

Ed.......:-)

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks KarateEd \:D/ You've done an amazing job running the comp so thanks for all your efforts in making it fun =D>

This was a great way for me to reacquaint with some really great beeb games and to find a few new ones as well.

Very close comp, it really could of gone either way =D>

For the championship round, I've decided to go with: RocketRaid

Return to “software: games - high scores”