High Score Challenge S7- R9 - Blast!

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Re: High Score Challenge S7- R9 - Blast!

Postby KarateEd » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:24 pm

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed.......:-)

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:37 am

Very small increase, finally reached Level 6, and then died !
Attachments
Blasthig.jpg

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Finally, somehow managed to get past level 6... but I didn't last long on level 8. Don't think i'll be able to better this score: 3157.

blast3.jpg

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Physics dunce that I am (it was the very first subject I dropped at school, having found it utterly incomprehensible), I used to struggle horribly with all games which included some representation of the principle of gravity - the likes of Free Fall, Thrust, Blast!, Cosmic Camouflage and especially Exile.

Only the first-named of these was one which I got the hang of with a vengeance in adult life, to the point that it had become one of my very favourite BBC games of all by my twenties, and I can warn you all now that it will appear in my list of nominations for this championship one day :-)

Blast!, though? Still a bit of a struggle even now. That a ship pointing downwards should plummet to earth quicker than one facing the sky but not thrusting doubtless makes perfect scientific sense, but it catches me out again and again and again. The number of lives I've lost trying to zap the target at the bottom of the second screen would seem utterly disproportionate to anyone watching me play, and yet that's what happens time and again.

I don't dislike Blast!. There's a prettiness to the graphics and screens missing in Superior Software's Thrust, on which it seems so extensively based; and the gameplay glitches present in author Sam Inglis's scrolly combat-em-up Shark are absent in this other offering from him. Ultimately, however, it is not the game my brain is best wired up to play.

I suspect this score of 1,797, mustered on a play of the original game on 5.25" disc, is as good as I'll manage (and achieved on one of few successful eliminations of the bottom-of-screen targets on both screens two and four).

gc

022.jpg
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Certainly nothing wrong with that score at all. This is a pretty tough game and I'm not even close to achieving what I achieved in the earlier competition. Sometimes it's just a matter of being really 'on' in a certain game. Obviously this time around I have not been so far.

Give it a few more goes, I will bet you'll up your ante a bit.

Ed...... :-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 am

ok, it took me a while, about 2 hours on real hardware (couldn't get it on the emulator so tried my trusty Beeb) and i finally beat my score from last time we did this challenge.

btw, i feel the control on real hardware is just that much better, should have been doing this much sooner than just starting it up today on the Beeb.

Blast9.JPG

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:43 am

Here's what Chrisn was talking about when he talked about the difficulty in level 8.

Some of what you don't see are some of the black balls and 2 'chaser's' for a better term on the upper right quadrant.

btw, I ended up sacrificing a life to get this screen shot but i doubt I was going to beat my high score here.

Level8.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:07 am

Doh! Got to the 8th level for the 3rd time and improved my score...and on the emulator too!

Blast10.png

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Never played this BITD, smaller version of Thrust..
few goes got 737
Attachments
19942733_10155024468297730_5964828730774119082_o.jpeg
ImageImageImage

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Final High Score Tables updated for this round......

Pretty tough game this time with gravity control that gives 'grave' consequences. This time
KarateEd (that's me) got a fairly high score for this game ..... Thanks for playing this one, I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea but congratulations to all that put up any score on it.

Return to “software: games - high scores”