High Score Challenge S7- R5 - Zalaga

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
richardtoohey

Re: High Score Challenge S7- R5 - Zalaga

Postby richardtoohey » Sun May 07, 2017 4:17 am

Bit better on b-em ... but don't think the Enter key is working fast enough :^o so will try on a real BBC next.
Zalaga2.jpg

24120 but can definitely do better ... ](*,)

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun May 07, 2017 5:39 am

Couple of goes, first time beat my previous score, second times a charm :wink: Missed out on perfect on 1st and 3rd bonus levels by 1 so score could in theory start getting close to 100k, would love to play this on a real beeb... maybe in a future comp :-k

Kids might of had a few turns as well... :lol: 8370 was my 5 year olds effort after a few plays.

Score: 76260
Galaga.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun May 07, 2017 6:43 am

ok, still not quite in the stratosphere yet but moving up slowly....47,030

Ed...... :-)

Zalaga7.png

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sun May 07, 2017 7:16 am

richardtoohey wrote:It uses some undocumented 6502 instructions - so make sure you allow those in your Beebem settings.

Thanks for this tip, it fixes the tearing and looks a lot better now... not sure if it will improve my score :wink:

The settings I used for BeebEm were to uncheck "Ignore Illegal Instructions" and set Undocumented Instructions to "Full Set"

I'm really loving reliving this classic, love the intro and double ship music and other sfx, love the chunky style aliens and getting (re-)used to the speed somewhat, great game and a credit to the developer. Personal goal is to crack 100k.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sun May 07, 2017 11:49 am

new high score (just)
Attachments
newhigh.jpg

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sun May 07, 2017 11:56 am

Bit better now.
Attachments
Zal1.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm

I don't like Zalaga much, sprites are too big and it is a bit boring, but until I get a keyboard sorted with properly working spacebar, I'll try this a bit instead of Planetoid. Played a few games ca. 20k to 60k and tonight 91450 . For comparison my 1995 score is 154620. I may try to beat that though it was not a score I really worked hard on at the time so no real comparison of now vs. then in ability. One of the reasons of not playing it more then, besides that it's not my kind of game, is I suppose that I read in one of the old mags that Orlando racked up a 30+ million score in a demo which likely means that the game is easy once you learned a few things. Arcadians is much better...
Attachments
20170507_223651.jpg

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon May 08, 2017 9:27 am

Just shy of Wouters score, gets mad fast after level 13... Would love to see a video of Orlando doing his 30 mil run :shock:

Score: 89820
Galaga.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon May 08, 2017 10:08 am

FourthStone wrote:Just shy of Wouters score, gets mad fast after level 13... Would love to see a video of Orlando doing his 30 mil run :shock:

Score: 89820
Galaga.jpg

Nice going too. Actually I felt that it was not fast, but I was "in the zone" and it felt actually good to play the game then :) Still a bit boring, and that 30+M score was definitely a mood killer for trying harder. Hmm, from a calculation it seems this needs more than 2 days playing. Could it be a printing mistake in the mag and that it was only 3M?...

To get higher scores I think it's better to play a while without shooting the baddies when they fly in, then you are forced to practice on how to shoot them when they come at you... Then when you practiced enough, shoot them all when flying in. I tried it a little bit, more perhaps later this week.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Gee, and I thought that my 47k wasn't that bad a score....sheesh. What are you guys smoking?

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Tue May 09, 2017 3:55 am

KarateEd wrote:Gee, and I thought that my 47k wasn't that bad a score....sheesh. What are you guys smoking?

Don't know about being high while playing but I have usually had a glass of wine or two \:D/

One thing I notice a big difference to other games is how my right hand doesn't rest on the desk at all while playing, it is constantly in a tensed ready state to bash (more of a light rapid tapping) at the fire button as fast as I possibly can. Timing is important but once you've hit one enemy the gun resets and is ready to shoot again so it's important to rapid fire the enter key as much as possible once each swarm starts.

I usually try clear 80-90% of enemies by the time they have finished swarming in with the remainder hopefully getting blasted before reaching ground level.

For the swarms that come from the top I usually start slightly left about 1/3 of the way across the screen then move to the right as the missiles start coming at me. Early stages I keep moving left and just blast all of them as they come down but the later levels there's too many missiles dropping to stay in the corner so I either go right early or try to pick the gap in the missiles late into that swarm...

For the swarms that come from the sides I usually start left about 1/3 of the way across the screen then move to the left but not all the way to the edge because they sometimes let off a sneaky missile in that spot.

Hope this might be helpful :o

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue May 09, 2017 8:29 am

Yes, I've noticed their sneakiness of choices of spots just when you think you're safe.

Got a new high score, still not a threat but maybe by later this week. 54,000 bang on.

Zalaga8.png

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 am

KarateEd wrote:Gee, and I thought that my 47k wasn't that bad a score....sheesh. What are you guys smoking?

No smoking, no alcohol (all alcoholic drinks are just disgusting to me, just like smoking :)), no coffee, but a lot of tea!

I've had to pack up my BBC so you guys should beat my score! Perhaps I can squeeze in a few games later this week, but likely not for a month or two. After that I will definitely try again on Planetoid and I had a few games of Guardian, which plays differently so needs other tactics (some skills translate I suppose as I got to 239050 in Guardian, after just a few games) so I'll try to get a high score on that too.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue May 09, 2017 10:22 am

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed.......:-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 am

Well, a couple more thou better.....56,620

Zalaga9.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed May 10, 2017 7:51 am

Bigger jump this time, starting to slowly get the feel of the game.....66530

Zalaga10.png

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Thu May 11, 2017 7:13 am

What a difference a day makes. Was absolutely abject on Tuesday night, indulging in too many fateful rushes of blood to the head whenever I got double ship - which very quickly became a single ship or no ship. Nothing better than a mid-40,000s score.

Much more measured on one further go last night, however, and much improved accordingly - 94,580.

I can't remember if it's actually true or not, but I think I'd got it into my head on Tuesday that shooting aliens in flight after they'd assembled in place would garner more points than if they're stationary (as with Arcadians) or still in their pre-formation swoop. To that end I was letting them mostly get into position before trying to pick them off systematically with - as they always say in sitcoms - hilarious consequences.

What I'd forgotten in the best part of twenty years of not really playing Zalaga is that it's far less mannered and far more feral than Arcadians - once the formation lap has been completed, you just get alien after alien chucked at you in however malevolent and arbitrary(ish) a fashion the computer feels like. Success is more assured by assertive, aggressive hitting out rather than careful accumulation - it's the T20 to Arcadians' test match.

Once that basic truism was reaffirmed, my overriding strategy has been similar to that of a few people here - see what you can get picked off during the formation process. The exception to the rule for me is the swoop of red aliens that assembles towards the left-hand side of the screen. I prefer to leave them be and concentrate for a few seconds on blasting any of the red aliens or blue waspy things that have already parked up on the right-hand side of the screen. Two reasons for this:

1) It gives a slightly better chance of my hail of bullets wiping out all of the blue wasps that comprise the final swoop of the formation,

2) It means there are far fewer aliens likely to encroach upon the right-hand corner area of the screen in which I park myself towards the end of the formation (and which, if all goes to plan, I have little reason to stray very far from thereafter). Those aforementioned left-hand side red aliens can't reach the right-hand corner; and whilst the top-level aliens on the left-hand side can, if there's nothing else left to get in the way I can usually deal with them tidily enough.

That's how I managed that higher score, anyway, and I suspect with a few more days' practice at it I could get somewhere nearer the sizeable six-figure total I was apparently capable of circa 1997. Alas, I'm on holiday from tomorrow, so I don't think I'll get any further opportunity.

Game version played was the Play It Again, Sam 10 cassette release, incidentally.

gc

005.jpg

011.jpg
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Fri May 12, 2017 4:23 pm

New high score.
Attachments
Zalg1.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri May 12, 2017 10:15 pm

OK, another notch in my belt, still not challenging the leaders though.....77,190

Attachments
Zalaga11.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Fri May 12, 2017 10:24 pm

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed.......:-)

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Sat May 13, 2017 6:44 am

Slight improvement but just short of the top two...

Score: 91230
Galaga.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun May 14, 2017 4:58 pm

I have bad news for you guys, I set up my BBC again for a bit to test a keyboard (also not a great spacebar action so need to fix both, you can see me mention the space bar issue in the planetoid video at which time it already hindered me), and so I thought I'd give Zalaga a few more tries and I got to 143160. I feel now that I come close to getting a good feel for the game and that I could go a lot higher.

Edit: I played this time with sound off, much better, less annoying though it removes the edge (less adrenaline) and I lost the double ship twice because of playing 'too relaxed' :)
Attachments
20170514_185210.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun May 14, 2017 9:25 pm

All right, had a few more goes. Still don't like this game, the essence is sitting in the right spot and hammering the RETURN key. When playing with sound off it jumps out how boring that is. Score: 147630.
Attachments
20170514_225123.jpg

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon May 15, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks Wouter, you've inspired me to give it another crack, tried it with the sound low but not off and had a few distractions in the room with my two youngest playing and mucking around next to me. Sometimes I think a good distraction can help focus more?

Once in the zone of working out the pattern and finding the right place to park and shoot (although i'm always micro adjusting) the game does become a little repetitive but I still love it and consider it a great classic.

Made it to level 46 or thereabouts, got an extra life every 100k and the bonus levels repeat after 4 cycles.

Score: 250770
Galaga.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon May 15, 2017 12:45 pm

FourthStone wrote:Thanks Wouter, you've inspired me to give it another crack, tried it with the sound low but not off and had a few distractions in the room with my two youngest playing and mucking around next to me. Sometimes I think a good distraction can help focus more?

Once in the zone of working out the pattern and finding the right place to park and shoot (although i'm always micro adjusting) the game does become a little repetitive but I still love it and consider it a great classic.

Made it to level 46 or thereabouts, got an extra life every 100k and the bonus levels repeat after 4 cycles.

Score: 250770
Galaga.jpg

Well, conversely it's different, I'm at almost the same score as in 1995 and I feel now what I must have felt then: Total disinterest :wink: (because I felt during play that there seems no limit to what scores can be achieved, as evidenced also by the score that the author achieved).

Yes, distractions/background noise can help you concentrate actually, known fact, I liked to have the BBC's transmission of cricket matches in the background (long ago when the BBC still transmitted cricket) when studying physics.

My review: Repetitive, doesn't seem to get more difficult, just need to figure out how to get through 1 particular tight spot, namely keeping the double ship alive through the level after the challenge stages. Playing with single ship is more fun, more interesting, it becomes more a tactical game then, but if getting a high score as quickly as possible is the objective then I suppose getting the double ship is better, but it just becomes a RETURN-hammering game then. I also don't like the explosion animation when hitting something, it is nowhere near the 'quality' of the animation in Arcadians or Galaforce. Galaforce is far more colourful, has much better graphic effects, better sound effects, smoother animation and music which all makes it much 'cooler'. All the time yesterday when playing I thought about the original tape I have of Zalaga (I got it while buying collections in the early 2000s), that I really must sell/swap it because this game is just crap! :twisted: My rating: 3/10

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon May 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Obviously nowhere close to the top scorers here but a slight improvement. 78,320

Zalaga12.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon May 15, 2017 8:17 pm

We have a runaway winner of Zalaga, FourthStone who got a ridiculously, and I do mean ridiculously high score for this game ..... WOW!!! - congratulations on a great score FourthStone and a great win!!!...

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks Ed \:D/

Overall I'd give this game 8/10, game play is maybe a slight weak spot but graphics and sound I think are top notch for what the beeb is capable of and a great technical achievement. The higher levels are brutal if you don't manage to clear most of the swarms during formation and the panic sets in fast once they start swooping down.

Was a really good trip down memory lane and I love being a part of this great competition :D

Looking forward to the next game, it looks a lot different and the keyboard layout will give my right hand a break :shock:

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Wed May 17, 2017 2:15 pm

FourthStone wrote:Thanks Ed \:D/

Overall I'd give this game 8/10, game play is maybe a slight weak spot but graphics and sound I think are top notch for what the beeb is capable of and a great technical achievement. The higher levels are brutal if you don't manage to clear most of the swarms during formation and the panic sets in fast once they start swooping down.:

Higher levels aren't brutal, it seems to me just a status quo, and scores are only limited by getting a few details right while playing. This is one game that seems to be as that terribly bad guardian article (and ditto badly researched book by Spufford, see http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/bbc/elite.html ) claimed that all games back then were: a perpetual present tense. I can see why the author could reach any score he wanted and that's very different from games that are more difficult to get through all levels before repeating and/or that get an increase in difficulty all the time.

I only played Zalaga first time in 1995, as I didn't play many games originally and didn't copy software, and at that time (I bought BBC micro + challenger3 + many copied disks with software) I also played the author's other games for the first time: Frak which was praised in the mags in 1984 so much but which is even worse. It's not smooth, everything stops when using the jojo, it's just rubbish! And Firetrack is also enormously boring (as to the scrolling technique, I've not looked at it but I thought about ways ca,. 1986 to do this (less than 6845-character jumps) in order to improve the jerky scrolling in Fortress although it would really mean rewriting the entire game of course and I was more working on other stuff), reminded of some vertical scroller on the PC where you can seem to go on forever (by Interplay? Ca. 1994). If skill is not the issue, and scores are not the point, then it should be fun to play. This only came for me with games like Duke Nukem 3D, Doom.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Thu May 18, 2017 5:07 am

Wouter Scholten wrote:Higher levels aren't brutal, it seems to me just a status quo, and scores are only limited by getting a few details right while playing....

This is very easy to validate, just get to the higher levels by any means or using skill and test how much harder they are by letting the whole formation gather, even letting half the formation gather is much much harder on higher levels in my humble play experience.

I think the higher levels must be harder than the lower levels by virtue of if there was no skill involved everyone would be clocking the game. Skill is not just working out hard problems, skill is also being able to outlast everyone else at something quite tedious :lol:

Return to “software: games - high scores”