High Score Challenge S7- R4 - Estra

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
richardtoohey

Re: High Score Challenge S7- R4 - Estra

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:06 am

Re-read the instructions and managed perfect bonus for level 1, and got to just one piece short of finishing level 2 ](*,)

estra2.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 am

Nice going Richard, that's not much below my score. I'm having a tough time with this too. It's a patience game and I'm not good at that.

You may just get a better score in this one than me.

Ed...... :-)

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm

I really enjoyed playing this game when I was introduced to it in Bolton last year. Unfortunately I have absolutely no free time this week so this could be my only effort. Perfect level 1, terrible level 2, only 3 lives on level 3 so game ended quickly.

estra2.png

Might try to squeeze one more game in now!

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:49 pm

sydney wrote: Perfect level 1, terrible level 2, only 3 lives on level 3 so game ended quickly.

Hi Sir Syd,

You should have 6 lives on level 2 if you've got a perfect first round so maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement?

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Level 1 was perfect, terrible level 2 - must have lost 4 lives, 3 lives on level 3 which lasted no time at all.

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 pm

I may have to try to make some time at the weekend as I'm sure I can do better than this.

estra3.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:35 am

sydney wrote:Level 1 was perfect, terrible level 2 - must have lost 4 lives, 3 lives on level 3 which lasted no time at all.

Had to re-read it to make sense, yes, that hasn't happened much to me cause I don't get to level 3 often and when I do it's with 1 or 2 lives.... which, as you've noted, go pretty quickly.

sydney

Postby sydney » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Last go for me on the emulator otherwise I may put my fist through the screen!

estra6.png

If I can be bothered to get the beeb out tomorrow I may give real hardware a go.

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:35 pm

Aaarrgghh. Just my luck that one of my choices would come up during what's always the single busiest fortnight of the year for me for freelance work. I've literally had no time at all to fire up the real Beeb for the past thirteen days!

Hence, then, a complete desertion of principles and a single quick attempt to register a score of any description on the emulator version on bbcmicro.co.uk.

It's a very long way shy of what I can do on a game I adore when playing it on original hardware (I'm simply too clumsy on a laptop), but it gets a few points on the board for me at least.

gc

Estra hiscores.doc
(112.5 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon May 01, 2017 3:46 am

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed.......:-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon May 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Got this at the wire....not much of an improvement as I was trying to beat the wire.

Edit: I see the posting time is 3 minutes after the time limit for the gaming period so I'm not going to include this in the score table even though I started playing it about 4 or 5 minutes prior to the end time. Wished I had gotten it sooner but oh well, it's not much of a difference anyway.

I'll edit the rules to include that all scores must be posted within the gaming time to avoid doubt about what constitutes a good score.

Estra8.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon May 01, 2017 8:20 pm

We have a winner of Estra, Chrisn who got a ridiculously high score for this game ..... Unbelievable Chrisn - congratulations on a great outcome...

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Well done Chris, had a couple more attempts but couldn't quite crack getting perfect on level 2 so it became a tad frustrating getting so close.

Great game! Love that the competition gets us to not only relive the classic games but also encourages people to get to know games they'd normally never give a second play.

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 pm

FourthStone wrote:... but also encourages people to get to know games they'd normally never give a second play.

Way back when I started the games competition this was my main motivation. I knew the games I liked but rarely gave unknown ones the time of day. I've been introduced to so many great games in this way as I missed the early games because I didn't get an electron until '84 or '85.

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Tue May 02, 2017 1:47 pm

That was also one of my two motivations for choosing Estra (as well as Banana Man before it), the other being that it seemed like a game which had a suitably generous scoring mechanism to engender a good variety of decent scores.

I'm just a bit sad I wasn't able to throw more time at it during the competition period proper, but I can always re-nominate it in a few tournaments' time, I presume. Or challenge people to a game at another ABug in the future... :-)

gc

PS KarateEd - hope the screenshot I pasted into a Word document and attached to my previous post still counts for scoring purposes. It was the quickest way I could share a screenshot of any description in the circumstances.
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Tue May 02, 2017 3:17 pm

A preponderance of dodgy platform titles (a failing of plenty enough software houses in the mid-1980s, full-priced or budget) might have tainted by association the entire Firebird budget roster in the eyes of many gamers. Overlook the worst of that label's ledge-leaping offenders such as Fat Man Sam and The Hacker, however, and there are titles well worth an investment of your time. Novel shooter Acid Drops is one, and the arguably lesser-known collect-'em-up Estra is certainly another.

An eerie, haunted calm hangs over proceedings as you collect the snake statue pieces from the outer perimeter of the screen - there can't be many games in which the atmosphere is heightened by a paucity of rather than by an abundance of sound effects. As graphically detailed as a game of this sort needs to be (i.e. not very) and as responsive and pacey as it needs to be also (i.e. quite), there are no unfair vices to the gameplay beyond the energy-restoring claw creature's occasional irritating tendency to turn around and deliver a fatal bite a fraction of a second before you leap on it. Definitely worth repeat revisits, especially considering an excellent bonus mechanism which really incentivises the player to try harder.

Graphics - 6
Sound - 6
Gameplay - 9
OVERALL - 7

gc

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat May 06, 2017 1:16 am

Jeremy Grayson wrote:energy-restoring claw creature's occasional irritating tendency to turn around and deliver a fatal bite a fraction of a second before you leap on it
Oh, yes, had that happen a few times :( :-({|=

Return to “software: games - high scores”