High Score Challenge S7- R2 - Hunchback

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Re: High Score Challenge S7- R2 - Hunchback

Postby KarateEd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:12 am

With this particular game, it feels like it should have been over by now.... it's really a brutal game.... timings are so fine. Even after fulfilling the first round and getting a way through the second round I find myself quite regularly messing up in areas I shouldn't.... There are so many different timings in this game that it can really play with your mind a lot.

Anyway, if it's any consolation, you still have almost a week to get a better score and I'm sure you'll be able to. I'm sure I can do better than this as well.

We'll see how it goes.

Ed...... :-)

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Don't think i'll be taking the top honours in this round ! it's the swinging rope levels which keep getting me.
Attachments
Hb1.jpg

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Slightly improved score.
Attachments
Hb12.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 pm

MatthewThompson wrote:Don't think i'll be taking the top honours in this round ! it's the swinging rope levels which keep getting me.

Which part of the swing? The first part?

For that, when you come into that section, leave your man where it starts. When the rope is perpendicular then run towards it and jump at the edge of the landing and you will hit the rope every time.

If it's the end part, make sure you're close enough to the landing, generally I think it's just when the rope starts on the 'up-swing' part.

That should get you through the swing levels. They are comparatively easy compared to the last 6 levels, all which require different strategies to manoever through them.

FourthStone put a solution up for 'K' section which is by far the hardest section to get through so I'll leave the rest for you to discover.

I find this game pretty difficult. Even if you've completed the 12 sections once or twice, it's still a big challenge to get through them again.

Timing on this are pretty precise and it's really maddening at times. Having said that WHEN you get through them all it's extremely satisfying so there you have it, the Coles Notes of this game. Just remember, there are really only 12 sections to get through, which isn't a lot so that necessitates making the latter half of the game quite difficult...... and it is.

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 am

Creeping up again, got the fine score of 4610 but felt like I was on a roll so had another couple of runs, paid off nicely.

I like your tip KarateEd regarding the rope swing, I was doing it a little differently by walking a few steps from the edge then waiting for the rope to go just past vertical which was a little harder to time it right, your way is much simpler thanks, and it seems to work in difficulty 2 as well =D>

In terms of jumping off the rope I've found that waiting until hunchy is almost fully aligned with the 'B' in BONUS is a good time to start hitting the jump button... and I always seem to hit the jump button twice and a lot harder than with normal jumps for some reason... it's a highly stressful dismount :lol:

Score: 5510
HunchBack.jpg

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Managed a much better score now, it was the jumping onto the ropes which was the problem, seem to be getting better at it, doesn't happen every time for me though.
Attachments
HB222.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

FourthStone wrote:Creeping up again, got the fine score of 4610 but felt like I was on a roll so had another couple of runs, paid off nicely.

Score: 5510

Very nice score FS..... I know how hard it is to achieve that.... way to go!!!

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Way too memory-test for me I'm afraid! I've completed all of the levels individually except K, but stringing them all together is not so easy.

Attachments
hunchback-2070-joolsh.png

chrisn

Postby chrisn » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Trying to keep up with you... I've got as far as wall J. 2870.

hunchback2.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:56 pm

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed.......:-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:05 pm

We have a winner of Hunchback, FourthStone who has won this round in a very close race to the finish ..... Way to go on a really tough game FourthStone...

Ed.......:-)

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Thanks Ed, I wouldn't of stuck with game so long if we didn't have you coming up with great scores yourself, so thanks for the worthy competition and it's been a really fantastic comp round =D>

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Review time!

This game really wasn't my cup of tea. I've never liked those 'pixel perfect' games where one slightly mistimed jump spells disaster. I have to admit I didn't play much this round so my scores might be a bit on the low side. People who enjoy this type of game will no doubt love it. I also didn't like the juddery scrolling on completing a level. The graphics seem to be on a par with the arcade game and the other platforms around at the time and the sound is suitable for the game with nice footstep, jumping and dying effects.

Graphics - 6
Sound - 6
Gameplay - 3
Overall - 5

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Tue May 02, 2017 2:15 pm

A cursory glance at the Complete BBC Games Archive identifies no fewer than fourteen known versions of the old Hunchback coin-op on the Beeb, ranging from magazine listings to the officially endorsed Ocean release via some bizarre (Wongo) and pretty poor (The Great Wall) cover versions. Superior's contribution, evidently removed from sale for a few years due to licensing issues before gaining a second life as part of a Play It Again, Sam compilation in 1988, might just be the best.

It's an unforgiving cove, however. Necessarily completely reliant on fine-precision jumping and perfect timing to reward or punish players as appropriate, its parsimonious points mechanism can still leave you with a score below the minimum required for the hall of fame even after completing a third of its twelve-screen entirety. It's technically sound, with sideways scrolling that looked as good as any on the Beeb before Castle Quest raised the bar exponentially, and the sound of Quasimodo screaming as he plummets off the ramparts remains a guilty pleasure. For all that, however, it remains a title a little bit hard to love.

Graphics - 6
Sound - 5
Gameplay - 6
OVERALL - 5.7

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

Return to “software: games - high scores”