Re: High Score Challenge S7- R1 - Banana Man

Postby MatthewThompson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm

A new high score (just!)
Attachments
nanabest.jpg

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:10 am

BOOM. Fiancee out drinking this evening, so had another quick game with BBC4 1983-era Top of the Pops playing in the background.

Whoever knew that New Edition, Big Country and Hot Chocolate could possess such performance enhancing qualities?

gc

007.jpg

009.jpg
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 am

New high score. My background noises were Mr Tumble on Cbeebies !!!
Attachments
Nana222.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 am

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to play this again......sigh.....

Ed...... :-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:36 am

We have a winner of round one, MatthewThompson who has won this round in a very close race to the finish ..... Way to go on a really tough game Matt...

Ed.......:-)

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 am

This was a really good game, totally new to me. Unfortunately flawed by getting blocked in on the later levels, and getting stuck, but other than that, good fun to play. onto the next round.

sydney

My short review of Banana Man

Postby sydney » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 pm

I suggested adding reviews of the games we play so here's mine for Banana Man.

This is one of those games that I look at and say "Really? Someone wants to play THIS?". I first played it a couple of years back when I decided to work my way through the mmbeeb menu finding hidden gems and this one stayed on for about 20 seconds and I moved on.
That was a mistake. It is a good fun game which suffers from poor animation and what seems to be a vertical jump in difficulty once you get to a certain point in the game, though it's hard to see how the game could avoid this. Smooth animation would he a nice addition but it's probably impossible considering the game seems to be 100% BBC BASIC.
All in all it's well worth a couple of hours of your time.

Graphics - 4
Sound - 5
Gameplay - 6
Overall - 5

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:01 pm

For a while the most prolific thing to come out of Grimsby since Rod Temperton at his peak, MRM Software's sense of fun was well to the fore with Banana Man, a game title just one carefully positioned space away from a major copyright infringement and a game in which binge-eating banana sandwiches and attacking cats was positively encouraged.

Occasionally maddening when a deadly spider appears on your choice of grid space a nanosecond before you land on it, and as hard to progress beyond the ninth or tenth level as it is easy to race through most of the preceding eight, this 1983 mid-price release nonetheless remains a tremendous amount of fun even now, and is as bright, noisy and (mostly) responsive as a game of its type can probably be. There won't be many BBC Micro titles I've hit space for another game of more than this quirky little number.

Graphics - 6
Sound - 6
Gameplay - 10
OVERALL - 7.3

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

Return to “software: games - high scores”