High Score Challenge - S6 - R1 - Zenon

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Re: High Score Challenge - S6 - R1 - Zenon

Postby KarateEd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:54 pm

richardtoohey wrote:So does this explain why I always come last? [-o< [-o< [-o<

(Only joking!)

Ummm, no Richard, the relative order would still be the same..... and ..... it's still my bad!!.......

Ed......:-)

Tom_Lindberg

Postby Tom_Lindberg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:29 pm

KarateEd wrote:
tricky wrote:Every time I get to 20K, I get a couple of waves of cyan sticks with magenta blobs on the end and loose a life and then just as my invulnerability runs out, here come many red triangles to spoil my day! - I think my random number generator is set on "unfair"!

Yeh, me too tricky.... oh wait, I've only been over 20k once.....sigh.

Yep, and me too. Ruining just about every game I play. How I did 42K is beyond me. Have not been close since! The only strategy I can think of is to cling on to the red machine laser and thrust a bit up and down continuously firing. If you only walk on the ground you are a bit vulnerable to the sticks and triangles.

Tom_Lindberg

Postby Tom_Lindberg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:43 pm

KarateEd wrote:
1024MAK wrote:Ed, when the rules post is updated, it should be explained that the calculation method has changed. Include the new formula, but also keep the earlier formula. If the date of the change is known, include this detail as well. Otherwise when someone looks back at previous threads, there may be confusion.

Mark

Ok folks, just figured out what happened. Tom was quite correct in pointing out the 'flaw' in the calculations. I thought I had the most recent of the spreadsheets with the updated calculations in it, that was not the case. I've made a slight blunder in that direction so, I will correct it, and put in the calculations as they should be and we're all good, no need to change what works and there won't be a change to the way the score has been kept.

My bad!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

You're doing great KarateEd. We are happy for the job you are doing :) And always will be!

I admit that I have my own private spreadsheet calculating scores because I continuously like to update and simulate various situations. So that's why I noticed something was 'off'. Unfortunately I don't have a superbrain which having a quick glance at the hi score table produced an alert :lol:

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm not sure how much I like this one, I've never played it before but always thought it was a good looking game.

zenon1.png

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Not played this one before... not a huge fan TBH. Sluggish player movement versus super-agile nasties, and ropey collision detection. I wonder if this game could be hacked to make it more fun?

zenon-37000.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:26 am

JoolsH wrote: I wonder if this game could be hacked to make it more fun?

Where's tricky when you need him?

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 am

I'm not really into hacking games, but you could draw quite a bit more in the time available ;)
JoolsH, that's quite a high score for level 2!
What I'm trying to say is did you read the bit about not point scamming.
Either way, ii it's the games fault.
If we playa game like this again, maybe we should score in levels not points.

Tom_Lindberg

Postby Tom_Lindberg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:36 pm

I second that. I feel the scoring in this game is somewhat flawed. What is the main goal? To get the highest possible score? To advance through the levels?

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Tom_Lindberg wrote:

I second that. I feel the scoring in this game is somewhat flawed. What is the main goal? To get the highest possible score? To advance through the levels?

Unfortunately, it seems like people are having trouble moving through the levels on this game, I know I am and I can see people aren't getting very far along on the levels. We do need the high score part of the game otherwise we will have 4 or 5 people all getting to level 2 or 3 or 5, doesn't make for a very good competition that way.

We are going to get a game that once in a while people are just going to get high scores on levels due to lack of skill getting all the way through the level so we have to trust that people aren't just sitting on a level collecting points and that they are coming by their points honestly. We do come across games on the Beeb like this once in a while and we just have to put up with the game's flaws, it's actually part of the charm of this competition - we play the games enough to discover the game's quirks. It does happen reasonably often, we have to remember what era we're playing here, 8-bit, early to mid 80s and at that time games were still an experiment.

So..... try to advance through the levels as your skill allows and get a high score all at the same time. A good example of this is Tom's score..... level 4 with 40k+ points.

Let's just go and have fun playing the game, quirks and all.

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Another alternative for the next game like this is to add our own end of level bonus.

Eg. For this would have been somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000.

Edit, But as I think you imply, the high score challenge is agood excuse for us to play old games with some incentive to not just give up ;)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:03 pm

tricky wrote:Another alternative for the next game like this is to add our own end of level bonus.

Eg. For this would have been somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000.

Edit, But as I think you imply, the high score challenge is a good excuse for us to play old games with some incentive to not just give up ;)

All good thoughts and you correctly got my point about old 8-bit games.... just play them until their quirks appear to us. Sometimes we just don't give the games a chance to reveal their 'special' nature but when we do, good things happen. Take Ducks! for instance, few of us on here really knew the game but realized after extensive play how beautifully well written it was even with it's quirks. It was at times frustrating but many 8-bit games are.... why? Because they were HARD but FAIR in many cases. Today's games rely too much on great graphics but poor game play.

I think we are fortunate to have lived during the times of 8-bit to be able to realize both the gaming genius programmed into many games (there were no boundaries at the time) and also the flexibility of the hardware. What a great era to have grown up in.

Perhaps what we may do is start a thread to see what people might like in this forum and what changes could happen. I hesitate to change what I feel is a fairly successful format but if we do make changes then I would like it to be changes by committee with the final vote in the hands of the the administrators of this forum....sound good?

Tom_Lindberg

Postby Tom_Lindberg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Perhaps what we may do is start a thread to see what people might like in this forum and what changes could happen. I hesitate to change what I feel is a fairly successful format but if we do make changes then I would like it to be changes by committee with the final vote in the hands of the the administrators of this forum....sound good?

Sounds good. I don't think we should make rash changes.. Let's play through season 6 and then maybe start a thread where we can voice some opinions.

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm not hating this game just feeling like it's a missed opportunity. I think it may have been better to lose the starfield and add some platforms with maybe a taller screen. It would have made a good sideways scrolling platform shooter, something like Hawkeye on the c64 albeit without the cool graphics and parallax scrolling.

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:21 am

tricky wrote:I'm not really into hacking games, but you could draw quite a bit more in the time available ;)
JoolsH, that's quite a high score for level 2!
What I'm trying to say is did you read the bit about not point scamming.
Either way, ii it's the games fault.

It's a higher score per level than I usually get, but not out of the question given it was nearly at the end of level 2. I wasn't deliberately hanging around doing nothing, I was just being careful in only making progress when it was safe to do so. Sometimes the game throws lots of awkward enemies at you at once, and it takes you a while to clear them up. Sometimes it gives you a load of high scoring worms one after the other. I didn't post the scores of the dozen games where I got a crappy score :) It's a bit of a crapshoot, and as mentioned it seems to be one of those games where if you're better at it you can get through the levels faster and end up getting less points, so it's not the best designed scoring system.

In any case, I got a better score, and got to level 4 this time, so the point is somewhat moot.

zenon-42050.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:41 am

JoolsH wrote:It's a higher score per level than I usually get, but not out of the question given it was nearly at the end of level 2. I wasn't deliberately hanging around doing nothing, I was just being careful in only making progress when it was safe to do so.

In any case, I got a better score, and got to level 4 this time, so the point is somewhat moot.

One thing I know about Jools is he doesn't purposely grab points on a level he's mastered. He's an honest player so folks, let's not worry about whether someone might be point whoring, let's just play the game and have fun.... I basically just wanted to be sure people were following the rules.... the games will be much more fun if we do it that way.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:02 am

And some of us are slow to progress through the levels and useless! :lol:

I've been trying the walk/hop/skip/jump on or close to the ground (trying to steadily advance) but usually getting annihilated quickly.

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:20 am

Well done Joolhs, I didn't mean to suggest you were cheating, just trying to get a high score and hadn't noticed the bit about making progress, as someone else hadn't.
That's a great score.
I did get nearly 20k on level 1 once, as you say sometimes you get high point items and if they are mixed with a few homing triangles or even bouncing sticks, then you can't help but make slow progress and if you don't die, a good score.
I'm hoping to get some time for a few more games.
On the 8 bit games, I have far more 8 but games in my favourites list than anything new, although my daughter and I do like the odd game of Lego or little big planet on the ps3.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:47 pm

richardtoohey wrote:And some of us are slow to progress through the levels and useless! :lol:

I've been trying the walk/hop/skip/jump on or close to the ground (trying to steadily advance) but usually getting annihilated quickly.

You and me both Richard.... LOL

Ed.....:-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:39 am

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed.......:-)

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:08 am

New high score.
Attachments
Zen2.jpg

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:46 pm

New high score.
Attachments
Zen3.jpg

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:50 pm

tricky wrote:Well done Joolhs, I didn't mean to suggest you were cheating, just trying to get a high score and hadn't noticed the bit about making progress, as someone else hadn't.
That's a great score.

That's alright, and thanks :)

Did play this a bit more the other day, but I didn't get anywhere near my last score and I've had enough of it now.

Tom - sorry about beating your score by such a puny amount. I'm not going to bother to play this again, so there's still time :)

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:55 am

I tried for another hour and a half yesterday and couldn't break 15k, I'm done to.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 pm

Yeh, this is a weird game. Sometimes it just flows, other times, most other times, it's a beggar to get anything done.

Tom_Lindberg

Postby Tom_Lindberg » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:03 pm

Tom - sorry about beating your score by such a puny amount. I'm not going to bother to play this again, so there's still time :)

Hehe! I was done 4-5 days ago probably! Congrats :)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:11 am

Final High Score Tables Updated.....Congratulations to JoolsH - you haven't lost your touch!!!.

Ed.......:-)

Tom_Lindberg

Postby Tom_Lindberg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:32 pm

A tiny correction regarding the high score table: JoolsH's score should be 42050 not 42080 ;)

Return to “software: games - high scores”