Possible new HS Challenge

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Possible new HS Challenge

Postby KarateEd » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi Folks,

We have at least 2 types of gaming going on at the moment; one where you just play and post, no real head to head challenge, just a nice play once in a while when you have time, in other words, no real pressure. We have the Quest to become ELITE! which is a long term game play with the intent to just finish the game while sharing your exploits, a good bit of fun.

I'd like to propose we have a third game type going and it would be pretty much on the same lines as we had been doing before we went with these two other styles of play. I think there is value in all three game play types and there may be some that wish to have the HS Challenge resurrected.

Please use this thread 2 ways.....

1/ If you have interest, show it here and if so, please give me 3 games you'd like to put into the HS Challenge.
2/ Also let me know how long you would like a season to be. We used to go 10 x 2 week periods plus a 2 week Champ Challenge for 22 weeks. Is that too long, too short, just right? Comments please.

We'll endevour to get this off the ground by the beginning of October if the interest is there so please don't dally with your input.

Thanks very much,

Ed......:-)

Tom_Lindberg

Re: Possible new HS Challenge

Postby Tom_Lindberg » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Great!

10 x 2 week periods sounds good.

I nominate: 3D Bomb Alley, Cybertron Mission and Strykers Run.

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:15 pm

Is it allowed to drop in and out of the third option?
That is, have a bit of competitive play, but not be considered for the overall season?

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:07 am

I want to be in but I faded out of the last set of rounds and haven't even fired up Elite yet! So interested but ... gah!

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:11 am

I'm in Ed! Do you want to limit the games to ones that have not been played before or can we nominate from the full library of beeb games? I promise to not nominate Starship Command again! One problem is I'm not sure I can remember all the games we've played!
My three are:
  1. Arcadians
  2. Frogger by Tricky
  3. Tetris

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:03 pm

tricky wrote:Is it allowed to drop in and out of the third option?
That is, have a bit of competitive play, but not be considered for the overall season?

Well, of course, your name will still show up but it's up to you how competitive you wish to be.... if you can't make it to every single game, it's not a problem, you'll just end up with a final score that's lower..... it's a self-imposed penalty so to speak but by all means, give us 3 games you like, they may get chosen, the draw for the games is totally random. My wife is mostly blind so I have her pick out of a bowl of names....so please, join the fun.

Ed......:-) aka, one of 2 of the mgmt.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:04 pm

richardtoohey wrote:I want to be in but I faded out of the last set of rounds and haven't even fired up Elite yet! So interested but ... gah!

C'mon Richard, there may be a game pulled that you like, so give us 3 you do like and we'll put them in the pool.... we always enjoy having you in the competition......it gives us hope.

The mgmt (1 of 2) aka Ed......:-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:05 pm

sydney wrote:I'm in Ed! Do you want to limit the games to ones that have not been played before or can we nominate from the full library of beeb games? I promise to not nominate Starship Command again! One problem is I'm not sure I can remember all the games we've played!
My three are:
  1. Arcadians
  2. Frogger by Tricky
  3. Tetris

We are starting out fresh so if we've played it before, it's wiped from our memory. Moving forward, we'll keep track of course but for now, it's open doors.....

From 1 of 2 mgmt to the other mgmt...... aka Ed......:-)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Just a bit of info folks,

We'll be using previously created rules that will have a link in each round we play. If you haven't been involved before, please have a quick read.

We want this to be fun for everyone of every level so there are some things we do to keep it fun, like not sitting on an easy level, building up points that way, there's really no fun in that and the reward, really is getting better at the game, wherever we end up in the list of players.

OK, we need a minimum of 10 games to get this show on the road and it's the 21st, so if you're chatting with people, please mention that we're about to start a new season and come and join us.

Ta for now,

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:16 am

If I have time then definitely up for having a go at this, suggestions

Vindaloo (Tynesoft)

Mikie (Imagine)

Zenon (Impact)

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:57 am

Calling all players, c'mon folks, let's have some fun.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:16 am

Are we allowed to choose games requiring a paddle (or analogue mouse in beebem)?

If so, Circus (by Exidy) emulated by tricky http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=943&hilit=circus#p7660

Mr. Ee! - Micro Power 1984

Tapper - U.S. Gold 1985 (beginner)

If no paddle games, Meteors - Acornsoft 1982

I may not make every game, but would love another hi-score challenge.

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:20 am

Yay, nice to see this back again!

I'm going to nominate:

Nightmare Maze
Mouse Trap
Android Attack

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm

tricky wrote:Are we allowed to choose games requiring a paddle (or analogue mouse in beebem)?

If so, Circus (by Exidy) emulated by tricky http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=943&hilit=circus#p7660

Mr. Ee! - Micro Power 1984

Tapper - U.S. Gold 1985 (beginner)

If no paddle games, Meteors - Acornsoft 1982

I may not make every game, but would love another hi-score challenge.

Hi Tricky,

I'm not sure everyone has the ability to play paddle games so unless it can be explained how everyone, whether they have the hardware or not could use a paddle, we'll probably say no to that. I don't know the parameters surrounding that. I don't want to restrict games unless there is a very good reason. For now, I''ll put you down for Meteors instead of Circus and if you could explain how everyone could play a paddle game (some like only hardware such as Beebs and Masters, etc) then we can put it in a later round.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi Folks,

We have enough games to start, however, you may nominate up until next Saturday 1:00 PM UK time. After that, we cut it off for nominations and that will give me time to both choose the first game and get the game page set up.

Return to “software: games - high scores”