Quest to become ELITE!

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
sydney

Quest to become ELITE!

Postby sydney » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:57 pm

I've finally gone and done it, I've started a game of Elite! Just so everyone knows this thread contains spoilers about the missions in elite.
A few people were messing about with Elite and their matchbox copro's at Cambridge and I've been hankering for a bit of action ever since. I've set the copro to 4Mhz which is plenty fast enough and I've began my quest to become Elite - something that eluded me bitd as I only managed to get to Deadly. I'm going to try to have two or three sessions per week and post my progress in this thread. Feel free to join me and play along posting your progress on the way.
Some things I've learned:
  • I'm not as good at elite as I think I am! I headed off to Zaonce with a load of Liquor and immediately had my arse handed to me by a group of pirates. I tried again with much the same result. The third and fourth attempts were no different so I decided to keep to safe systems until I could afford a Beam laser to replace the pea shooter my Cobra was currently armed with.
  • The electron version of elite, while an impressive technical feat, is pretty poor compared to the Tube version. Too few ships, no suns, one kind of space station, terrible slowdown, no colour, no Thargoids. I loved elite on my elk but this is a whole new ball game.
  • Save at every Space Station twice. I guarantee you'll think you saved your game and launch only to be given a sound thrashing then realise you've not saved for the last hour and a half.
  • The matchbox copro is well worth buying just to play elite with.
Added 8/9/16
  • When loading a saved game make sure you pay attention and press 1 to load and don't simply press 2 like you always do and end up saving a brand new commander Jameson over your current saved game.
  • Ensure you regularly save a backup under a different name so that the above mishap doesn't wipe out too much progress.
Added 12/9/16
  • Have lots of money before you start the missions. LOTS of money!
Current progress:

Commander Sydney
System: Zaonce
Credits: 972.4
Legal Status: Clean
Rating: Poor

I headed off to a nice safe trade route between Diso and Leesti to build some credits to buy a nice shiney beam laser. I then headed back to Lave where I was immediately ambushed by a Thargoid and three remote craft, I survived and headed on to Zaonce.

trixster

Re: Quest to become ELITE!

Postby trixster » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 pm

I've started playing again recently on my rpi CoPro Beeb once hoglet and biged implemented the 4mhz core. I did make Elite bitd on our family BBC b (now my BBC b), as did my dad and my brother, but I'm keen to do so again and this time on tube elite.

It only takes a few hours of trading to get enough cash to trick out your cobra with military lasers, full kit and up to at least Competent. I'm going to spend some more time flying between the stars this week!
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + RPi2 CoPro + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:27 pm

At the risk of showing off I also started playing tube elite recently (got to love the matchbox co-proc) and have got as far as Dangerous and I have even done a mission!

I only ever had cassette model B elite before so military lasers and missions are an eye opener!

I also briefly owned a BitStik (bought purely to play Elite) and while it was great for combat I have to say I was a little disappointed. The twist to control the speed was difficult to use and caused problems with docking computers. Also there was a 'dead spot' in the middle with little flight adjustment for the amount of travel (another *. member has the same) which was good for flying but awful on the maps. Never meet your hero's... The final nail in the coffin was the fact I was sure I would break it while vigorously avoiding pirates.

Sadly life has got in the way of me paying elite for a while now. But I will become Elite! One day...

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:04 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:Sadly life has got in the way
I know that feeling. Not sure I want to get rid of life, though, might miss it. :-k

Getting back to Elite definitely on my TODO list (sometimes you just have to start, eh?) Had the BBC tape version originally, then migrated to the disc version. Can't remember where I got to ... probably Dangerous ? Maybe ? Played a lot but never got to Elite.

And definitely have to at least try the Co-Pro version - got all the kit, so need to clear away distractions and have a blast!

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:31 am

sydney wrote:I loved elite on my elk but this is a whole new ball game.
Oh! Just wait until you have a go (You MUST, by the way) at Elite Dangerous . . . My Son-in-law has a copy - - - Oh boy - The graphics . . . Getting used to the virtual reality does take a while - you just have to persevere. I didn't quite manage to dock, though :lol:

Dave H :D

p.s. It was one of the very few game I actually played more than a few times - one of the others was Lemmings :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

dixiestoat

Postby dixiestoat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:02 am

I never got past Dangerous.
Most of the time Competent... or Mostly Harmless....
Which pretty much sums me up really....!!! :lol: :lol:
If in doubt, CTRL-BREAK thou should clout..

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:03 am

I once reached the rank of Deadly and then those blasted Thargoids came alone and pummelled my ship into interstellar dust :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now I have my matchbox co-pro on order, Tube Elite will once more grace my game playing hours :D

Elite ranking, here I come!

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:25 am

I thought Thargoids no longer apeared after you completed the second mission. But it's a long time ago :?

Looking at missions: I never played 2nd proc Elite bitd but there is a bit of a mystery concerning the missions. Does it have more missions than the BBC B version? And if so, what are they?

So please keep us informed on the progress of your quest (in the coming years :lol: ).
Paul

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:33 am

DutchAcorn wrote:I thought Thargoids no longer apeared after you completed the second mission. But it's a long time ago :?

Looking at missions: I never played 2nd proc Elite bitd but there is a bit of a mystery concerning the missions. Does it have more missions than the BBC B version? And if so, what are they?

So please keep us informed on the progress of your quest (in the coming years :lol: ).

A trip into hyperspace (or witch-space, as the game calls it) puts you at risk from ambush from Thargoids, who have a technology which allows them to lurk there. In some versions of the game you can force a hyperdrive failure by holding full pitch and roll while jumping, but you'd have to be either suicidal or very well armed to attempt it.

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:26 pm

So trixter, Lardo Boffin and topcat96 - are you going to join in and post your progress here? And richardtoohey, surely this is the opportunity you've been waiting for! Drag yourself away from all that nicely paid work and spend some quality time with your beeb. :lol:
trixster wrote:It only takes a few hours of trading to get enough cash to trick out your cobra with military lasers, full kit and up to at least Competent.

I spent another half hour last night and a couple of hours this morning and I'm loaded and on my way to Dangerous.
daveejhitchins wrote:
sydney wrote:I loved elite on my elk but this is a whole new ball game.
Oh! Just wait until you have a go (You MUST, by the way) at Elite Dangerous . . . My Son-in-law has a copy - - - Oh boy - The graphics . . . Getting used to the virtual reality does take a while - you just have to persevere. I didn't quite manage to dock, though :lol:

I've not played Dangerous yet and may never do as I'm really not into modern gaming at all, but if there is one game that may change my mind this would be the one. Before I got back into Acorn and retro computing I played Oolite solidly for almost 2 years which was pretty good.
DutchAcorn wrote:Looking at missions: I never played 2nd proc Elite bitd but there is a bit of a mystery concerning the missions. Does it have more missions than the BBC B version? And if so, what are they?

There were no missions in electron elite so this is something I'm looking forward to. While typing this I realised I played the C64 version to death too but I can't remember the missions from that though I must have completed at least one as I'm sure I had a Naval Energy Unit.

Progress update:
Commander Sydney
System: Orso
Credits: 8515.0
Legal Status: Fugitive
Rating: Competent

I've done a lot of trading, fighting, stealing, murdering and running away.
I made a fortune trading in Liquor and Computers then fully kitted out my Cobra with everything you can buy with the exception of side weapons. I've got a military laser up front and a beam laser at the back, an energy bomb and a full compliment of missles. My current legal status is due to the bloody docking computer crashing with a transporter just before I landed at Orso. It's not the first time I've been on the wrong side of the law though, it seems collecting escape pods and selling the contents on as slaves is frowned upon in a great many places. I just shoot them now.
My dogfighting skills have improved significantly though I try to avoid Anarchy systems as I've had to use my escape pod a couple of times when visiting them. Thargoids haven't been much of a problem to date as there has only ever been one mothership to deal with, interestingly you can pick up the drones as alien items even if your hold is full as they get stuck to the side of your ship apparently. Not been to witch-space yet though I'm tempted to force a mis-jump to see what all the fuss is about.
I'm in the Orso system at the moment as I decided I'd like to see what the other side of the galaxy was like. I might head off to the top left corner now.
orso.png

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Just done a bit googling and found this: Interactive Oolite map

Oolites galactic maps are identical to the BBC version of elite so this can be used to find the shortest route between two systems. Nice to know since I'm working on the first mission now and need to get to Reesdice asap!

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:26 pm

sydney wrote:So trixter, Lardo Boffin and topcat96 - are you going to join in and post your progress here? And richardtoohey, surely this is the opportunity you've been waiting for! Drag yourself away from all that nicely paid work and spend some quality time with your beeb. :lol:

I have an MMC, a 16 image RAM ROM board (both by ctorwy31) and a matchbox size co-pro to plug in first and set up ... Once that's done, let battle commence! \:D/

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:15 pm

topcat96 wrote:I have an MMC, a 16 image RAM ROM board (both by ctorwy31) and a matchbox size co-pro to plug in first and set up ... Once that's done, let battle commence! \:D/

Great to hear you'll be joining me, it's lonely out in space!

Progress update:

More things I've learned:
  • When loading a saved game make sure you pay attention and press 1 to load and don't simply press 2 like you always do and end up saving a brand new commander Jameson over your current saved game.
  • Ensure you regularly save a backup under a different name so that the above mishap doesn't wipe out too much progress.

Commander Sydney
Galaxy: 2
System: Atgeaner
Credits: 2543.7

As mentioned above I'm currently working on the first mission which is to find a stolen ship last seen in the Reesdice system. I raced across the galaxy to find the ship had moved on from Reesdice so I followed to find they had bought a Galactic Hyperdrive and jumped to Galaxy 2. I engaged my galactice hyperdrive and arrived in Galaxy 2 in the Ororra system but there was no trace of the stolen ship. There are 10 systems within 7 light years of Ororra so I've started a systematic search of those systems to try to pick up the trail.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks for describing that - I've always wondered what the missions are about.

[I think I'd prefer it if I didn't see a full description of all the missions, but just a description from the inside as each one comes up. More of a story that way.]

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:09 pm

sydney wrote:So trixter, Lardo Boffin and topcat96 - are you going to join in and post your progress here? And richardtoohey, surely this is the opportunity you've been waiting for! Drag yourself away from all that nicely paid work and spend some quality time with your beeb. :lol:

I have just moved from a Turbo MMC to a Retroclinic Datacentre so I have had to find and migrate my save games etc.! I'm glad I could find them and not loose a lot of Elite time...

I have recently finished mission one - it took a lot of planet searching to find the slippery cad! I seem to remember being able to pick up a hint from the system when you arrive by viewing the local system data or similar. If the ship had been there then you got a message about a strange ship. It took ages to find.

I am currently: -

Docked at Tezaeded
Cash: 15363.1
Legal status: Clean
Rating: Dangerous

Equipment: pretty much everything. Front and read military lasers.

I very much now feel the need to get back into this. BCPL and Bard's Tale (on my speccy) will have to wait!

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm going to say here and at the top of the first post that this thread contains spoilers just in case someone wants to find out how to complete the missions for themselves.

Another item for the list of things I've learned: "Have lots of money before you start the mission. LOTS of money!"

I've done loads of googling the past few days and have come accross a couple of things that are worth mentioning:
  1. Quest for Elite by ZorzoPlays. It seems someone had the same idea as me but decided to record it and post it to youtube! 81 episodes so far but nothing since May last year.
  2. The February '86 issue of The Micro User had a pull out section on cheating on elite with a save game editor and an explanation of the save game file format. Using this information I've been able to find out the exact number of kills so far. It's as simple as pressing ctrl-n for paged mode then typing *DUMP E.SYDNEY (replace SYDNEY with your commander name). Bytes 47 and 48 hold the magic numbers which can be decoded with PRINT &(byte 48)(byte47). I'll be including the number of kills in my progress reports

Progress update:
Commander Sydney
System: Maesaron
Credits: 47.5!
Kills: 427

The ten systems surrounding Ororra took a while to search but on the tenth attempt, at Cearso, I found what I was looking for: "An unusual ship left Errius a while back". Errius - 39.6 light years away! Bugger!
I made my way to Errius as fast as I could but neglected to trade as I travelled so money began to be a problem.
I think it's probably not possible to get to the systems where the missing ship has been seen without visiting a one or two anarchies and they can be a problem. In fact I've never managed to even get close to the planet in one yet - I always end up using an escape pod.
On arrival at Errius I was informed of a sighting of the ship at Inbibe so immediately headed off in that direction. Only three short, peaceful jumps later I arrived to find the next sighting was at Ausar. It's only 2 jumps to Ausar but it's an Anarchy so I decided to stop off at Maesaron, the Democracy next door, to try my hand at a bit of bounty hunting/piracy to boost my funds to buy another escape pod!
I might head off and try to get to Ausar tonight and see where the wild goose chase will take me next.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi Sydney

Thanks for looking into how to find out the number of kills! That was going to be my job for the weekend. Now I can shoot stuff instead.

Kills: 850

Lardo

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:51 pm

After what turned out to be a short stint as a pirate I ended up shooting a number of Galcop Vipers and gaining Fugitive status. My Presence in Maesaron was clearly not going to be tolerated any longer, even if I could fight my way back the the station I doubt they'd let me dock so I decided to jump into Ausar there and then. I was immediately attacked by 4 pirates who I dealt with quickly. I was then approached by a Viper who didn't attack so I left him alone and he moved off towards the planet. Another Viper arrived just as the first passed off the edge of my scanner, again we left each other alone. Then another. And another. And another. Due to the presence of the police I was unable to jump so the journey to the station took a while. On the positive side I had no other problems with pirates.
Upon docking at the station I found the ship I was searching for had been spotted at Usleri so I quickly refueled and headed off. An uneventful journey found me at the station at Usleri in no time at all. The message here was the one I wanted to hear - my target was at Orarra! I refueled, stocked up on missles and prepared for battle.
Jumping into Orarra found me immedietly under attack from a group of pirates but once they were dispatched there was nothing. I waited, jumped around a bit and eventually decided to dock to see if there was any information there. I was told there was a pirate out there so I launched to get him. After leaving the safety zone around the station I was again attacked by 2 pirates then he showed himself. A short battle ensued which was prematurely ended with a lucky missle strike and victory was mine!
I returned to the station to be greeted by my Navy contact informing me I may be called up again sooner than I think! Oh and 5000 credits payed into my account.

I spent the next hour or so investigating the local area and it doesn't seem to have many good trade routes and there are lots of Anarchy systems. I might study the Oolite map I posted above to see if there is anywhere interesting to go.

Progress update:
Commander Sydney
System: Letibema
Credits: 7888.8
Rating: Dangerous
Kills: 806 (+123 not including the 256 for the constrictor)

I actually faced the Constrictor 3 times in total! The first time I got him with a missile, the second time I held off on the missiles and had a good old fashioned dogfight which ended when other pirates killed me off after the constrictor hit me with 2 missiles due to my destroyed ECM. 256 of my 806 kills came from beating the constrictor.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:53 am

So you get 256 kills for the constrictor? I feel slightly less smug about having 850 kills now #-o

Lardo

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:37 am

About this trading business - do you make lots of notes, or just have an eye for good prices?

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 am

sydney, thanks for these detailed progress logs. I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying reading them. Please keep them coming, and good luck on becoming Elite!

Dave

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:38 am

BigEd wrote:About this trading business - do you make lots of notes, or just have an eye for good prices?

You basically find an Agricultural planet as close as possible to a Rich Industrial and trade between them. Buy Computers from the Industrial to sell to the Agricultural and then buy food / textiles for the return journey.
Typically you should be paying around 60 to 65 credits per ton of computers and selling for over 90. Just like eBay!
Keep them as close as possible to reduce fuel costs.

Lardo.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:52 am

Sydney

If you are looking for a trade route in galaxy 2 try Tiriusri to Tezaeded in the top middle of the map.
You have a Rich Industrial and Average Agricultural close together.

And the best bit is that Tiriusri (the Agricultural planet) is a feudal plant so you get plenty of kills without the madness of an anarchy.

But beware the evil spotted cats!

Lardo

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:22 pm

One last thing!

If you are flying forward in a relatively safe system have your rear view on (F1). There tends to be a lot less to render behind you and you fly faster! Well technically I guess the game runs faster.
Remember to watch the radar for asteroids though!

Lardo

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 pm

BigEd wrote:About this trading business - do you make lots of notes, or just have an eye for good prices?

Have a look here for an in depth look at how it all works: http://typethinker.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/market-prices-in-acornsoft-elite.html

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Very interesting - thanks!

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:11 pm

hoglet wrote:sydney, thanks for these detailed progress logs. I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying reading them. Please keep them coming, and good luck on becoming Elite!

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll keep them coming thick and fast! The next few may be a bit boring as I'm going to try to get a lot of trading in so that money shouldn't be a problem in future. I was down to less than 10 credits at one point during the first mission! After I've made my fortune I may try looking for some Thargoids in witch-space or a bit more piracy!

I've been watching the videos posted on the ZorzoPlays youtube channel and I think I'm struggling in anarchy systems because my copro is making the game too fast. Was the original 6502 second processor 3 mhz? If so 4mhz is 33% faster and it may be giving the pirates the upper hand. To test this I've done 2 things:
1 Played the Master 128 vesion for 20 minutes.
I loaded my curent save game into the M128 version and jumped into an anarchy system. Whilst I still didn't make it to the station I lasted a lot longer. It was still difficult and I was unable to jump towards the planet as I was always attacked while waiting for my shields to recharge. I finally succumbed to a group of 4 pirates who came at me when my front shield was gone. I think I could do better with more practice. I also noticed the controls were a bit 'smoother', probably due to the fact that the game was running a bit slower and my reactions better equipped to handle the slower speed. I do find it hard to centre the cross hairs on an enemy in the tube version and less of a problem in the 128 version
2 Borrowed an electron from Dave Hitchins so I can see how my memories of the game match up to the reality.
I'd tried the game in an emulator but you can't beat the real thing! I had a quick play when I got back from Dave's but got distracted by the other goodies on the mega games cartridge! :oops: I probably won't have time for an electron elite session until the weekend but first impressions were not good.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:20 pm

(I think the cheese wedge 6502 copro is 3MHz but the internal one for the Master 128 is 4MHz) ["A Master 128 with an internal 65C102 co-processor became a Master Turbo"]

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:23 pm

(crossed posts with Ed....)
sydney wrote:Was the original 6502 second processor 3 mhz? If so 4mhz is 33% faster and it may be giving the pirates the upper hand.

The cheese wedge 65C02 Co Pro was 3MHz.

The Master Turbo 65C102 Co Pro was 4MHz.

Are you using the Matchbox Co Pro? At the moment that's running at 4, 8, 16 or 32 MHz. We have a new version in the works that uses a different core and does 4, 8, 16 and 64MHz. I'm wondering whether a different mix of speeds might be useful, e.g. 3, 4, 8 and 64 MHz.

What does everyone else think?

Dave

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:05 pm

hoglet and BigEd wrote:The cheese wedge 65C02 Co Pro was 3MHz.

The Master Turbo 65C102 Co Pro was 4MHz.

So the tube version of elite is probably designed for the cheese wedge @ 3MHz as it'll run on a beeb with a copro meaning I'm giving those pirates an extra edge.

hoglet wrote:Are you using the Matchbox Co Pro? At the moment that's running at 4, 8, 16 or 32 MHz. We have a new version in the works that uses a different core and does 4, 8, 16 and 64MHz. I'm wondering whether a different mix of speeds might be useful, e.g. 3, 4, 8 and 64 MHz.

What does everyone else think?

Dave

I think 3,4 and 64 would be all you'd need. 3 and 4 are 'historically' correct and 64 is flat out, is there any need for other speeds? I doubt elite will be much fun at 8MHz.

Return to “software: games - high scores”