A few people were messing about with Elite and their matchbox copro's at Cambridge and I've been hankering for a bit of action ever since. I've set the copro to 4Mhz which is plenty fast enough and I've began my quest to become Elite - something that eluded me bitd as I only managed to get to Deadly. I'm going to try to have two or three sessions per week and post my progress in this thread. Feel free to join me and play along posting your progress on the way.
Some things I've learned:
- I'm not as good at elite as I think I am! I headed off to Zaonce with a load of Liquor and immediately had my arse handed to me by a group of pirates. I tried again with much the same result. The third and fourth attempts were no different so I decided to keep to safe systems until I could afford a Beam laser to replace the pea shooter my Cobra was currently armed with.
- The electron version of elite, while an impressive technical feat, is pretty poor compared to the Tube version. Too few ships, no suns, one kind of space station, terrible slowdown, no colour, no Thargoids. I loved elite on my elk but this is a whole new ball game.
- Save at every Space Station twice. I guarantee you'll think you saved your game and launch only to be given a sound thrashing then realise you've not saved for the last hour and a half.
- The matchbox copro is well worth buying just to play elite with.
- When loading a saved game make sure you pay attention and press 1 to load and don't simply press 2 like you always do and end up saving a brand new commander Jameson over your current saved game.
- Ensure you regularly save a backup under a different name so that the above mishap doesn't wipe out too much progress.
- Have lots of money before you start the missions. LOTS of money!
Legal Status: Clean
I headed off to a nice safe trade route between Diso and Leesti to build some credits to buy a nice shiney beam laser. I then headed back to Lave where I was immediately ambushed by a Thargoid and three remote craft, I survived and headed on to Zaonce.