planetoid.png

RULES
:arrow: The aim is to score as many points as possible
:arrow: Post scores and screenshots/photographs in this thread
:arrow: The rules are here.

DISK IMAGE
:arrow: Planetoid

INSTRUCTIONS
:arrow: Posted here by topcat96 - thanks!

SUBMITTING SCORES
:arrow: Please cut and paste the following code replacing NAME and SCORE with your name and score.
:arrow: This will enable the scorekeepers to simply cut and paste your score into the table.

Code: Select all

[tr][td]NAME[/td]
[td]SCORE[/td][/tr]

HIGH SCORE TABLE
NAMESCORE
TopBanana384125

TopBanana

Re: High Score Table - Planetoid

Postby TopBanana » Fri May 20, 2016 1:37 pm

A quick one to start with.

PlanetoidHS.PNG

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sat May 21, 2016 3:40 am

TopBanana wrote:A quick one to start with.
Sigh, who crushed us last time (wasn't just me who was crushed, either!)

Great game, though, a talented man was Mr. Raine.

helpful

Postby helpful » Sun May 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Cripes, not sure I could have beaten that even BITD! Certainly can't get near it now :-(
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

sydney

Postby sydney » Sun May 22, 2016 5:45 pm

helpful wrote:

Cripes, not sure I could have beaten that even BITD! Certainly can't get near it now :-(

Keep watching, he's only warming up!
Have a look at season 2, round 8.
It seems I didn't submit a score back then so might try to get a few games in tonight.

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sun May 22, 2016 6:07 pm

sydney wrote:Keep watching, he's only warming up!

:shock: :lol:

Not so sure these days, old age, infirmity (therefore slower reactions) and a serious injury last year to the middle finger of my right hand hamper me these days, partly the reason I wanted to post a score on both this and Guardian, before it's too late ! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by TopBanana on Sun May 22, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

leenew

Postby leenew » Sun May 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi Mr. Banana,
Do you have any vids of you playing one of your real Defender machines??

Lee.

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sun May 22, 2016 7:51 pm

'Fraid not Lee - are you requesting one ? (Bit of an odd request :roll: :lol: )

leenew

Postby leenew » Sun May 22, 2016 9:57 pm

:mrgreen:
Defender was my game of choice when I was a young 'un but no matter how hard it tried I could never beat 176000.
I never had access to all of the "secret" strategies that are well known now, but now I know them, I am too old and crap to make use of them :lol:
I always like watching people who are good at stuff! Playing guitar, singing, doing maths, playing games, whatever!
So.... yeah! I want a video :D
Lee

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Mon May 23, 2016 2:05 pm

leenew wrote:So.... yeah! I want a video :D

Don't hold your breath mate ! :shock:

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon May 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Out of interest have you played Defender and variants on other systems andif so how does Planetoid compare? I'm sure I read somewhere that Planetoid is considered (one of?) the best.

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Tue May 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Not huge amounts - Guardian on the C64 back in the 80s and Planetoid at college, although I always got told off as the IT teacher thought it would damage the keyboards on the Beebs. :lol: At the time Planetoid was the closest thing to the arcade version I could get my hands on.

However having played it only in the high score competition, I think Guardian plays better than Planetoid, although the latter is much prettier.

By far the best version on a console or PC is the one included with the WIlliams Arcade Classics CDRom for the PC - it's as perfect as you can get without a cabinet in front of you. I played it to death when it came out.

The problem with Defender is replicating the controls, keyboards and joysticks just don't work as well as the layout on a cabinet so if you really love playing the game properly you have to at least have some sort of replica control panel that works with Mame or a JROK board.

Or your own cabinet :-)

Or two :shock:

Cabs.PNG
Last edited by TopBanana on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leenew

Postby leenew » Tue May 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Nice :mrgreen:

Lee.

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 pm

I think this is the benchmark we ought to aim for - I found it in an old Beebug.

PlanetoidsBBHS.PNG

If the print is too small for you to read it shows a score of 875185 for Planetoid - that's quite a feat.

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:09 am

TopBanana wrote:I think this is the benchmark we ought to aim for - I found it in an old Beebug.

PlanetoidsBBHS.PNG

If the print is too small for you to read it shows a score of 875185 for Planetoid - that's quite a feat.

Some extremely good scores on that list :)

@Sydney

As requested, one set of Planetoid instructions ... :wink:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
ACORNSOFT GAMES

Planetoid
for the BBC Microcomputer Model B

Action stations! The Aliens are landing! Flying over the planetoid surface
your laser-ship speeds to the rescue, firing laser missiles and dodging
the enemy and their shell-fire. Save the life-forms while fending off
raiders, mutants, bombers, cruisers, spores and megacytes. Lightning
reflexes are required to play this game - the fastest ever seen on a
micro!

Complete with sound effects, full colour graphics, and table of Hi-Scores.

Planetoid
for the BBC Microcomputer Model B

Author Neil Raine

Your laser-ship is patrolling the surface of the planetoid. The scanner in
the top section of the screen shows the whole planet surface, and can
be used for long-range reconnaissance. The lower part of the screen
displays the section over which the laser-ship is flying.

The raiders can be seen hovering around the surface on the look-out for
life-forms, which they can drag off into space. As a raider ascends with
a life-form, you can destroy it with your lasers, or with the "smart
bombs" which disintegrate everything hostile within sight. Having
annihilated the raider, you can intercept the plummeting life-form and
set him back down on the surface.

If you don't rescue a life-form before the raider carrying him reaches
the top of the screen, the raider will mutate. You will then have to
contend with a mutant, while also being attacked by bombers, spores,
and megacytes, all of which are to be avoided at all costs, and killed
before going on to the next wave. Cruisers are also dangerous, but
don't have to be destroyed before you move on to the next wave.

When megacytes are destroyed they release a cloud of spores - use the
smart bombs wisely, as you only have three to begin with.

Look out when only one life-form remains, since if the raider abducting
him reaches the top of the screen the planetoid explodes, and all the
raiders become mutants. However, after every five attack waves you
get a new planetoid, and a new set of life-forms to defend.

You start off with three ships, but for every 10000 points you score you
gain a ship, plus a smart bomb.

Controls

A Up
Z Down
Shift Thrust
Space Reverse
Return Laser bolt
Tab Smart bomb
H Hyperspace (ship dematerialises, and materialises in another position)

Score

Score 500 for each life-form caught in flight, and 500 for each one safely
returned to the planetoid surface.

Scores:

Raider 150 Cruiser 150
Mutant 150 Spore 250
Bomber 150 Megacyte 1000

Bonuses for each surviving life-form at the end of each wave are as
follows:

First wave 100 Fourth wave 400
Second wave 200 Fifth wave 500
Third wave 300 Subsequent waves 500

Three numbers are displayed at the top of the screen: the first shows your
score and the second and third show the numbers of remaining laser
ships and smart bombs respectively.

Copyright Acornsoft Limited 1982.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Struggling now - it's just insanely quick when you get past level 20.

PlanetoidHS.PNG

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:08 pm

So had a bit of a session today, I think I've reached my limit on this game, it is STUPIDLY, INSANELY fast at this level.

PlanetoidHS_01.PNG

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:43 pm

CMcDougall
Attachments
plan36350.jpg
ImageImageImage

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:18 pm

You need to practice more Colin ...... :shock: :lol:

Wouter Scholten

Hail to the king baby!

Postby Wouter Scholten » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 am

TopBanana wrote:I think this is the benchmark we ought to aim for - I found it in an old Beebug.

PlanetoidsBBHS.PNG

I did more in 1996: 888150

There are a few 2M and 3M scores in the mags from ca. 1986 IIRC, but I don't really believe them.

Since my 1996 high score I have not played Planetoid at all. I tried Galactic firebird a few days ago, didn't get that far (24K after a few tries, next day 27K) so wondered if my skills were crap now. So after 20 years, I tried planetoid again.

Day 1: First game: 4225. I had to get back into it. 2nd game 82275, that was better, I got the feel back, 3rd game 252600, nice, but far from the old high score.

Day 2: 363750, then 418775 and 497500. Higher than my high score when I was 18 or so (which was ca. 440K) but nowhere near 888K. Still, when you play like this it gets the adrenaline flowing, it's great. I guess it's that way with all games when you're really good at it, perhaps I will try galactic firebird again :)

Day 3: some crap scores compared to what I wanted to see (well, 300-490K), but good practice and I realised I still needed to get back a lot of finesse for the truly high scores. Then late at night 546900.

I made pics (I may upload them later), but if I get close to 800K scores I will try to make a video of it which will show all the tricks of how to get high scores. I don't know if anyone wrote up a how-to for getting high planetoid scores: I didn't at the time and need to get back in my mind a few of the tactics or rather small finesses of how to deal with certain situations. Then I will write it all down.

And if you get to level 32, something interesting happens...

Wouter Scholten

Re: Hail to the king baby!

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Yesterday 2 improvements, and my 2017 high score is now 626825 (could have been much more, I shot my last man again long before the end). After that I did a few more 525-590K scores but I need to get flying patterns and tactics exactly right again to get to 800K. I know it's still off as I die too often in stupid ways and in all 500K+ efforts I wasted huge amount of lives and TAB bombs accidentally shooting the last man at level 30, aargh! (note that flying in the right patters and shooting very carefully is how I got accustomed to fly in 1996, and this is why I got to more than 400K then, flying on radar only... I usually just evaded bullets even without looking at the screen. The radar is far more important!

If anyone wants tactics already (for up to say 300K scores), let me know.
20170415_184839-e.jpg

leenew

Postby leenew » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:13 pm

I *Really* want to see a video of you scoring 600K+ :shock:

Well done indeed. =D>

Lee (176,000 on original Defender Arcade)

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 am

Wow :shock:

600k+ is some going, well done Wouter.

What's your strategy ?

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:46 pm

TopBanana wrote:Wow :shock:

600k+ is some going, well done Wouter.

What's your strategy ?

I will write it up soon, I was busy with other stuff this week. I played just one game, today, and while I was playing at around 150K I think it was, I thought I'd try to film it with my S5 also to see if there's a 30 or 20 minute time limit. But where was it? Had to shoot a baiter ('cruiser' in Planetoid), search quickly, shoot another baiter, search again, ca. 3 times, then I found it, then more of the same to set up the phone. Lost a life (up to then just 1 lost) and rhythm (which is why pause, which is what I added in 1984 along with 'Escape', does not work, you just lose a bunch of lives and a record score is out of the question. So in case of "Tea is ready!": either abandon the game or just let the tea get old and cold!), and it went downhill from there.

Well, then after a while, at near 300K, it was going reasonably well actually, but I got a warning sound, the phone's battery was almost empty and recording stopped! Allright, connect it to cable, restart camera app, but the phone doesn't stand up now with cable attached! Messing around cost more lives... And this lost me all rhythm, shot my last man at level 20, even with 30 smart bombs left (but far too few lives) it was clearly not going to be good but I used this game to practice shooting the baiters/cruisers and the spores without using smart bombs unless absolutely necessary (at the cost to dying too often). I just managed to get to over ca. 501K (with lots of smart bombs left over, hmmm).

So I will set up something to mount the phone properly now, with USB cable attached from the start of recording...

Wouter Scholten

Video - Planetoid

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Made a video, but it was going badly, lost all men at wave 30 again and I cursed a lot so I don't think I will upload it. Score 628925. Once I get over the problem of keeping 1 man alive at level 30 (and then 35), I should be able to score at least 700-800K.

2 games a day is enough at these scores, the games take almost 50 minutes each. Adrenaline overflow! :)

Wouter Scholten

Re: Video - Planetoid

Postby Wouter Scholten » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:Made a video, but it was going badly, lost all men at wave 30 again and I cursed a lot so I don't think I will upload it. Score 628925. Once I get over the problem of keeping 1 man alive at level 30 (and then 35), I should be able to score at least 700-800K.

2 games a day is enough at these scores, the games take almost 50 minutes each. Adrenaline overflow! :)

Didn't play a full game for a while, today just 1 game and I got to 635025. This was with losing the last man at wave/level 26 which lost me most of my lives and smart bombs. Things continued reasonably well from wave 30-35, but the same happened again at wave 36 and I didn't get much farther. So still the problem remains of keeping all men alive. I completed wave 38, but note that with my 1996 high score I was at wave 53...

As to my tactics: Here's a start, not quite organised per level/wave: You need to learn movements e.g. of what happens with the mutants, how they pursue you. You can coax them to go along the top/bottom of the screen... Then shoot them. You can play a while, then shoot all men, to practice how to handle them. The cruisers behave very differently in Planetoid than in Defender or Guardian. In Planetoid they are not suicidal, well, up to wave 30 or so, then it is very hard to kill/evade them, then they move too quickly, so at higher levels it's imperative to shoot everything before they arrive. First 5 levels I let all raiders pick up men, then put them down, which is 1000 points per raider extra (this means level 1 about 17550 points, at level 2 I get to ca. 40000-42000 points, level 3 70000-75000). Later levels, after 5, this gets hard to do, it gets more important to shoot all the raiders quickly but first of all shoot those purple bomb layers! Avoid shooting the megacytes, do that at the end of the level. Shoot them, but I wait until they are at the right height, as this determines the flying patterns of the orange spores. Shoot the spores, don't waste smart bombs, but in later levels (15 and up) it's best to nuke a bunch of the megacytes along with a bunch of the bombers at the start of a level with a smart bomb, possibly 2 bombs. At wave 10 or up raiders move too fast and you need to kill them off shooting while keeping low waiting for them to get to you is best. move up/down to avoid their fire and to actually hit them. At level 10 I shoot all but 2 men myself to avoid getting mutants and then try to keep these alive through the next levels.

Keeping the last man alive is the essence of high scores (more than ca. 630K), though in later levels I remember that a big problem for scores higher than 800K is just how fast the aliens move, and if you are killed, a raider with man keeps going for a while which will kill off any chances of a good score. I try to keep 2 men alive, and 1 will become a mutant sooner or later, you can deal with those with the tactics alluded to above.

For higher scores I need to get to there to see (again) how it works, with shooting spores for example. They are very fast and I remember somewhere beyong 700K they are so fast that they overtake you, you can't do the shoot, turn around, shoot again way, but as they fly too far ahead you can shoot them then. It could be with cruisers this also works, memory is hazy on this.

Wouter Scholten

More on practicing/tactics for Planetoid

Postby Wouter Scholten » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:27 pm

More on practicing; Put a piece of cardboard in front of the bottom part of the screen so that you only see the radar. I tried it this night a few times, and got to 202375. This will make you better at using the radar in normal play...

Wouter Scholten

Planetoid:Getting closer: 673500

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:46 am

Getting closer to being as good as in 1996: 673500 and I can get far higher, Im back in top form! Well almost ;-) Killed my last man at level 37... Otherwise would have been over 700K. What also hinders me is that my BBC keyboard's space bar is acting up. Need to get a spare keyboard. Yes hammering the keyboard can't be good. I warned my sister not to do that, long ago when she played on my BBC ;-) 2nd picture is of flying on radar only with rest of the screen covered up...

20170430_023843.jpg
20170429_012233.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Planetoid:Getting closer still: 714100

Postby Wouter Scholten » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:19 pm

was going well until wave 20 where I shot my last man. disaster, had to complete thus level 20-24 as a mutant fest, not cool. Iwanted to quit but battled on for practice. then later at wave 37 I did it again, argh... And yet I went on to wave 42 and a score of 714100. I'm sure I can get to my old score then to 1 million. I progress much faster than my records in 1995-1996 so I'm only getting better with age ;-)
Attachments
20170501_001203.jpg

Wouter Scholten

Video of my game with score 628925

Postby Wouter Scholten » Tue May 09, 2017 12:21 pm

As I will likely not have time for a while to play (possibly not much time next 2 months), in the mean time I uploaded the video of my 628K score here:

https://youtu.be/hb4eQ15XOBw

Video size was set at the lowest in the S5 due to file size issues. For playing an hour it needs a lot of space, more than 1GB at lowest setting, but once I get a new SD card I will record in 720p. I may try the S2 too, which seems to give better video. Camera angle is also not optimal at all, next time it will be much better. My RX100 camera has a 30 minute recording time limit which is annoying (fooking EU bureaucrats!) but gives far superior video so I may set that up as well to record say the last part of the game for when I get to scores of 800K or more again.

So, what do you think, watchable, interesting, or too low res to make anything of it?

Return to “software: games - high scores”