RULES
:arrow: The aim is to score as many points as possible
:arrow: Post scores and screenshots/photographs in this thread
:arrow: The rules are here.

DISK IMAGE
:arrow: boulderdash.zip

INSTRUCTIONS
:arrow: Anyone got the instructions?
:arrow: It is possible to start from a screen of your choice and apparently screen I is full of diamonds!

SUBMITTING SCORES
:arrow: Please cut and paste the following code replacing NAME and SCORE with your name and score.
:arrow: This will enable the scorekeepers to simply cut and paste your score into the table.

Code: Select all

[tr][td]NAME[/td]
[td]SCORE[/td][/tr]

After posting your score it will look like this:
NAME
SCORE

HIGH SCORE TABLE
NAMESCORE
MatthewThompson6873
KarateEd3702
JoolsH2389
simonsideburs2233
sydney2078
richardtoohey1482
CMcDougall957

SimonSideburns

Re: High Score Table - Boulderdash

Postby SimonSideburns » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Love this game. Got stuck on the first one with amoeba this go.

I just find the controls leave a lot to be desired now and then. One minute you can't seem to move even though you press the direction key, other times you shoot two cells over when you only wanted to move one.

Still, much better than the ZX Spectrum version where you could walk off the side of the screen and then had to wait while the scrolling caught up.

Anyway, here's my first effort. 2233 points, starting from skill level 1, level A (usually referred to as A/1):

Boulderdash (first go).png

Will strive to do better.

By the way, if you were to start from screen I (I think that's the one), there's loads of diamonds to collect so you're bound to get a higher score. Maybe the rules should stipulate that participants must start from the same screen.
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Is there a redefine key option somewhere ? I'm trying to play it with BeemEm but the 'up' key is at the top left on my keyboard ... it's a real challenge.

sydney

Postby sydney » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Zarchos wrote:Is there a redefine key option somewhere ? I'm trying to play it with BeemEm but the 'up' key is at the top left on my keyboard ... it's a real challenge.

You can redefine keys in one of the beebem menus.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:49 pm

sydney wrote:
Zarchos wrote:Is there a redefine key option somewhere ? I'm trying to play it with BeemEm but the 'up' key is at the top left on my keyboard ... it's a real challenge.

I tried that, to no avail.
Oh well, never mind.

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Zarchos wrote:
sydney wrote:

Oh well, never mind.

Could you temporarily change the keyboard settings of your computer to a GB keyboard. Alternatively I believe the RISCOS BBC Micro emulator is quite good. I used it on my raspberry pi regularly last year. I'm not sure if that will suffer from the same problem though.

My first go: 1113

boulderdash1.png

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:13 pm

SimonSideburns wrote:I just find the controls leave a lot to be desired now and then. One minute you can't seem to move even though you press the direction key, other times you shoot two cells over when you only wanted to move one.

I concur. Are you playing on an emulator or real machine? I'll try it out on real hardware later to see if that improves things.

By the way, if you were to start from screen I (I think that's the one), there's loads of diamonds to collect so you're bound to get a higher score. Maybe the rules should stipulate that participants must start from the same screen.

While this is a good point I'm not going to stop people from starting where they want as this is a feature of the game. I will mention the advantage gained by starting on screen I in the top post.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:46 pm

sydney wrote:
Zarchos wrote:
sydney wrote:

Oh well, never mind.

Could you temporarily change the keyboard settings of your computer to a GB keyboard. Alternatively I believe the RISCOS BBC Micro emulator is quite good. I used it on my raspberry pi regularly last year. I'm not sure if that will suffer from the same problem though.

My first go: 1113

boulderdash1.png

Thanks for your help.
I did that (it's easy with Windows 10) but still I was unable to remap the key on the left of the '1' key BeebEm sees as the UP key, top row of the keyboard, to be another key.
Strange. It's a pity as I was rather good at BD (and Lode Runner, Mrs Pacman, and Highway Encounter. Oh yes BombJack too).

SimonSideburns

Postby SimonSideburns » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:04 pm

sydney wrote:
SimonSideburns wrote:I just find the controls leave a lot to be desired now and then. One minute you can't seem to move even though you press the direction key, other times you shoot two cells over when you only wanted to move one.

I concur. Are you playing on an emulator or real machine? I'll try it out on real hardware later to see if that improves things.

I'm on BeebEm, but from memory it's just as bad on real hardware.
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:39 pm

Yes, it is just as bad on real hardware. What a shame! I'm really enjoying it and this could spoil it for me.
I'm not sure starting on level I is going to help many people who are new to the game as it seems impossible to me - think I'll have a look on youtube to see how its done!
I think I've discovered a bug on cave C where it's possible to score enough points to get a extra life, die, gain an extra life, die in an infinite loop. I'm not sure though. Anyone know how many points to get an extra life?

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Boulderdash - hooray !! one of my all time favourites, from memory (and playing again) I think it's an extra life every 500 points and the screen will flash when you get one, watch out the diamonds can fall as well as the boulders and all boulders will fall off a ledge whatever type of block, also do not block the exit in and the butterfly things have to be squashed with boulders to make diamonds.

I'll dig out my copy and add any other information, watch out for the noisy algae later on.
Attachments
Boulder1.jpg

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:06 pm

bit of an improvement.
Attachments
Boulder2.jpg

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:45 pm

anyone got the instructions?

sorry for delay :oops: Si / Ed ( =D> / =D> ) busy doing nothing after work....
Attachments
covA.jpg
covB.jpg
ImageImageImage

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:56 am

The puzzle elements are good, but the controls are a bit spongy as others have noted. Think I'll stick to Repton for my boulder action puzzles.

bd.jpg

sydney

Postby sydney » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:19 pm

This is almost a brilliant game. It is spoiled by the terrible controls. I can fly through caves A,B and C then it come to D and every time I lose 5 lives on that cave purely through the controls. If Rockford would move one square when I tap the key once then I'd be able to complete cave D with ease too. He insists on moving two squares so I find it almost impossible to get all four butterflies without losing a life. I really like this game and the controls are ruining it for me! AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

boulderdash2.png

Off for another go!

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:55 pm

Not bad, controls are a bit over-eager as previously mentioned, though...

Attachments
boulderdash-2389.png

sydney

Postby sydney » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi score table updated - upload soon.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:06 pm

I really like this game, but i'm starting to find the controls a bit annoying at times, I don't know if all versions are like this or whether the BBC version got a bit messed up. Anyway new high score .
Attachments
BD4.jpg

sydney

Postby sydney » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:23 pm

MatthewThompson wrote:I really like this game, but i'm starting to find the controls a bit annoying at times, I don't know if all versions are like this or whether the BBC version got a bit messed up. Anyway new high score .

I really like the game. I've tried to get into the Repton series many times but it just doesn't click with me. Boulderdash however I think is great but the controls let it down so badly.
I do think it's deliberate as I think if the controls were good the game could be too easy. I've not played it on any other platfom though so couldn't say how it compares.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:36 am

sydney wrote:
MatthewThompson wrote:I really like this game, but i'm starting to find the controls a bit annoying at times, I don't know if all versions are like this or whether the BBC version got a bit messed up. Anyway new high score .

I really like the game. I've tried to get into the Repton series many times but it just doesn't click with me. Boulderdash however I think is great but the controls let it down so badly.
I do think it's deliberate as I think if the controls were good the game could be too easy. I've not played it on any other platfom though so couldn't say how it compares.

That's the thing despite endless comparisons with Boulderdash and Repton, they can never talk about Repton without mentioning Boulderdash, they are nothing like each other , it's like comparing Galaforce with Electron Invaders ! Boulderdash is more of an arcade game where as Repton is more strategic.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:37 am

sydney wrote:

That's the thing despite endless comparisons with Boulderdash and Repton, they are nothing like each other , it's like comparing Galaforce with Electron Invaders ! Boulderdash is more of an arcade game where as Repton is more strategic.
Last edited by MatthewThompson on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:38 am

New high score.
Attachments
BD5.JPG

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

New high score.
Attachments
BD5.JPG

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:23 pm

never had /played this BITD :shock:

just had a quick go, and it's a different kettle of fish from the Repton's :x

and Mr T. has beat me 8-[
Attachments
bd957.png
ImageImageImage

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:42 am

CMcDougall wrote:Mr T. has beat me 8-[
You might as well dig a hole in the garden (if it isn't frozen over?) and go lie in it. Life is over. :lol:

sydney

Postby sydney » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:38 pm

Table updated.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:22 am

Ok, time to throw my hat in on this one too....first time I've played boulderdash..... weird game.....

Ed......:-)
Attachments
BD3.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:13 am

OK, getting stuck on screen 4, got through the yellow nightmare, now I'm being chased by whatever the heck those are.

Attachments
BD6.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:08 am

Another small bump up.....I think I'm addicted.....fun game!

Attachments
BD7.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:17 am

So Matt, the 4th screen, what is the goal? I managed to destroy all 4 of the beasts that were locked up and then I expected to see an open door somewhere but, nope.....is there something else you have to do in this level?

Return to “software: games - high scores”