Re: High Score Challenge S8 - R7 - Bumble Bee

Postby MatthewThompson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:06 pm

A new high score!
Attachments
BB66.jpg

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Got to the second carrot level (level 12).

The first carrot level is completely crazy - the spider timer is only two seconds or so! Fortunately there seems to be a limit to the number of spiders, so after a while they stop coming out. I somehow managed to complete the level, and get to level 12.

Level 12 seems to be like the Pac-man kill screen - as soon as you appear, a spider immediately appears on top of you and kills you. So, to get a better score I'd have to squeeze more points out of the previous screens - and I think I only left one fireball unused for the whole game, so unless I get lucky on the bonuses, this is as good as it gets.

Attachments
bumblebee-25260.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:39 am

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed...... :-)

Wouter Scholten

Bumble Bee: Awful game

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Early last week I scored 17450 getting quite far (in levels) without trying for maximum points but I'm not going to play it any further. The keyboard control is just atrocious. Try tapping up/down when going to left/right and most of the times it doesn't register. I bet this stupid game checks for keyboard input only when your bee gets to the edge of a square to see about a direction change, so you must press well in advance. This game is one of the worst I ever played and goes on my "I hate it" list! Next game please.
Attachments
20171201_055307.jpg

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm finding the controls fine. You don't tap the buttons - you keep them held down, starting from before you get to the crossroads, until after the bee has changed direction. Standard stuff for Pac-man types games.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 am

Same here, had no issues with control during this game, just hold down the key for the direction you are heading, no need for keyboard tapping.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:12 pm

New high score for me..... I've not gone away quite yet Matt......

BB13.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 am

The controls for this type of game are 'ok' at best in my opinion. Most mistakes that I'm making aren't ones of strategy, they are ones of key presses but let's remember, this is the 80s we're talking about so what should we expect.

For a game of this nature the keys work ok, otherwise the scores you are seeing wouldn't be happening.

Wouter Scholten

Postby Wouter Scholten » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:04 am

KarateEd wrote:The controls for this type of game are 'ok' at best in my opinion. Most mistakes that I'm making aren't ones of strategy, they are ones of key presses but let's remember, this is the 80s we're talking about so what should we expect.

For a game of this nature the keys work ok, otherwise the scores you are seeing wouldn't be happening.

No, the scores are happening despite the atrocious controls. I never liked snapper but there I never felt the forced moving in any direction was a big issue nor did I feel the need to examine how the controls work (needing to keep pressed in advance or if the game executes already noted keyboard inputs at a given point where you can change direction) as opposed to with this game. Blaming it on 'the 80s' makes no sense as there are many games with excellent control.

In this game the piss-poor control means inadvertently getting killed too often. I could train myself to get used to it, and I reached the same levels as you all, but I don't want to play any further, ever again.

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 am

Wouter Scholten wrote:
KarateEd wrote:The controls for this type of game are 'ok' at best in my opinion. Most mistakes that I'm making aren't ones of strategy, they are ones of key presses but let's remember, this is the 80s we're talking about so what should we expect.

No, the scores are happening despite the atrocious controls. I never liked snapper but there I never felt the forced moving in any direction was a big issue nor did I feel the need to examine how the controls work (needing to keep pressed in advance or if the game executes already noted keyboard inputs at a given point where you can change direction) as opposed to with this game. Blaming it on 'the 80s' makes no sense as there are many games with excellent control.

In this game the piss-poor control means inadvertently getting killed too often. I could train myself to get used to it, and I reached the same levels as you all, but I don't want to play any further, ever again.

The keyboard controls are not better or no worse than many of the 80s games so yes, I will say it is an 80s style of programming. As far as snapper goes, I don't feel much difference at all from snapper to this. I feel they are both well programmed if not a little clunky with keyboard control, however, that's just one man's opinion and I can see there may be differing points of view....but that's all they are, points of view.

We most certainly are not going to like every game, that doesn't make it a bad game. Every game I've ever played has a different 'feel' to it with keyboard controls or joystick for that matter. Taking the time to 'set into' how the 'feel' of a game is can be part of the fun if you let it.....

Personally, and it's just me, I've gotten more rewards from games I didn't like to start with but just stuck to it. This is a 2 week challenge and there is time to get the feel of any game if you choose to......

Anyway, sorry you don't like the controls but I don't think that necessarily stops this being a good competition. Not everything in a game can go our way and many I've played on here certainly don't but there is reward in trying.

I'm pretty certain you're going to like the next game though.... so happy times!!!

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:27 pm

After what felt like 100s of games, I finally beat my high score, I also got to the second carrot level, game over straight away. Found no issues with controlling the bee, was able to move easily and get out of tight spots with no problems at all, control very responsive, and moved to where I wanted to go every time, and that's using an Acorn keyboard with a PS2>USB adaptor on !BeebIT emulator on RISC OS !
Attachments
BB4.jpg

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Final High Score Tables updated for this round......

This was a pretty tough 'pacenstein' game where high scores were few but hard earned. Again, second time in a row,
JoolsH - came in first in a very close competition. Great game Jools and congratulations on a close win. =D> =D> =D>

Return to “software: games - high scores”