Compukit UK101

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
Seldon2k

Re: Compukit UK101

Postby Seldon2k » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:37 am

Hi again,

Just read the post about the Beeb trick '*tape3' but that will only work for un-modded 101's. Most people, (NOT me), converted their tape interface to 600 baud.

The 32kB DRAM board mentioned earlier was produced by Audio Computers.
My Floppy Disk Interface only mentioned in my intro to the forum was by Premier Microsystems. Many thanks for the warm greetings BTW.

The comment about the BASIC problem reminded me that most people seem to be unaware that the BASIC ROMs were re-written or patched over several years.
My fully converted 101 had only one ROM unchanged. The MOS was CEGMON and 3 of the 4 BASIC ROMs were upgraded.
Someone needs to find these ROMs to use with the superb emulator written by baldwint. I can't remember if I backed up the ROM's to BBC floppy, probably not.

Oh and PeteB my first 101 printer was a Teletype KSR33 and had an 8-0-80 (+/- 80v) interface, I built a switcher with 2 off MJE340 transistors powered from a 60v DC supply and that worked perfectly.
The 101 had to have the 110 baud mod, (108.5 if I remember correctly), and I had to tweak the Teletype to print correctly.
It was an ASCII printer so I didn't need to convert the data, (see next paragraph).
My 2nd printer the DEC LA36 was 20mA and easier to interface.

I do remember converting a MC program written for another machine, probably a SYM-1, to convert an ASCII stream to Baudot. That was for a friend of mine who had a VIC-20 that I interfaced to his 5-Bit ASR-33 Teletype.
I found the program in a copy of Micro that I bought in about 1980.
Micro the 6502 Journal was a magazine like American publication, copies can be found on-line here:
http://6502.org/documents/publications/micro/

Bye for now,
Terry

baldwint

Postby baldwint » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Seldon2k wrote:Hi,
Some of my code was written for the Hi-Res Graphics board that used 6kB of Static Ram (3 x 6116's) to achieve 256x192 resolution. It used a 6847 CRTC IC and effectively turned the 101 into a Dragon 32 or Tandy CoCo.
This is not supported in the emulator of course, although I did approach the author with the specs of the card.

Hi Terry - it is still on my list of things to try to add, but not quite as simple as I'd first hoped ... :-)

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi Terry,

I wonder if your issue with running machine code from the 32K DRAM was down to insufficient refresh cycles.

I have a Ramamp ROMRAM board for the Beeb that uses a couple of DRAM chips and refreshes in "spare" cycles when the RAM is not being accessed. Problem is, if a RAM gets stuck executing code in a tight loop, there may not be sufficient spare cycles for refresh, and eventually parts of the RAM will get corrupted and crash.

Out of interest, what was/is the DRAM chips involved?

Dave

Seldon2k

Postby Seldon2k » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi Dave,

The Audio Computers 32kB board had a dedicated chip to refresh the DRAM.
When I find the paperwork I will scan it and post it here.
richard_g recently acquired a 101 in the Red ABS case that has the same board.
The DRAM refresh IC is the 24pin DIL under the Tested label.

Tim, I understand thanks anyway for looking into the possibility of adding this board.

An extremely patient,
Terry

richard_g

Postby richard_g » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Seldon2k wrote:Hi Dave,

The Audio Computers 32kB board had a dedicated chip to refresh the DRAM.
When I find the paperwork I will scan it and post it here.
richard_g recently acquired a 101 in the Red ABS case that has the same board.
The DRAM refresh IC is the 24pin DIL under the Tested label.

Tim, I understand thanks anyway for looking into the possibility of adding this board.

An extremely patient,
Terry

Hi Terry - great to have you aboard!

I've spent most of the last 12 months collecting as many of my most valued 8-bit machines as I could. I composed a hit list that I've worked my way through. The Compukit was probably top of that list as it was the first computer I ever laid eyes on. My brother built it from a kit so I got to see the whole build process too. It's the machine that really blew my mind as an 11 year old and set me on a lifelong love for all things microprocessor based. I work with ARM based system-on-chip designs these days which for some reason never seem as much fun, so I hark back to the classic old 8-bitters and love every one of them.
Most recent acquisition (today) was a Nascom 2 system with keyboard, 32K expansion RAM, PSU board and docs.

My Christmas projects include getting the red cased Compukit up and running (as you spotted, It's missing the 6502 which sits on the expansion board socket). As I said previously, I'm going to strip it back to the minimum and build back up from there. I've not even switched it on yet.

If you could post any docs for the Audio Computers 32kB then I'd be really grateful.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:21 pm

I have been testing my latest acquisition, a cased UK101 with 2K video RAM, 8K RAM and the CEGMON monitor, and discovered the heat sink for the LM323K regulator is running very hot. The 3A rectifier diodes are also very hot.

When I say very hot I mean to the touch. They were fairly uncomfortable - you would not want to be touching them for long.

Is this normal for the UK101? It has been 30+ years since I last used one and I cannot remember them being that hot.

I am from the old school; I over-engineer. If a component needs to pass close to 3A it would have to be rated at least 5A in my book. Having said that the regulator heat sink meets my approval being a matt black, finned, aluminium one about 6"x4" and at least 1" thick and, although the heat sink is hot, the regulator is a lot cooler.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

Seldon2k

Postby Seldon2k » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi,

Yes, it is normal for them to run almost too hot to touch!
Don't forget the temp of the regulator is a function of the input voltage to it. Perhaps someone has used a transformer with too high a secondary voltage. It should be 8v-0-8v RMS if I recall correctly.
Power to Dissipate as Heat = ( Vi - Vo ) x I. As Vi goes up so does the temp.

The positioning of the regulator right next to the HOT Static RAM chips (2114's) was a very bad decision as is generally agreed.
Upon feeling how hot my 101 was I instantly decided to remove the regulator and fit it to an external massive heatsink.
I actually constructed an external dedicated supply using an LM317T and a pot to adjust the final voltage as measured at the fuse on the board.
oh, if you pop the Fuse FS1 out you can measure the current drawn by the UK101 across the socket. I think is was about 2.x A, most of that being drawn by the 2114 RAM.

I hope this was of help/reassurance.

Terry.

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:29 pm

I feel reassured, thanks, Terry.

The voltage measuring and tinkering will have to wait until the Christmas holidays when I have some time. I plan to uprate the diodes. BITD I actually used an old valve 6.3v heater transformer to provide the power, which is why, I imagine, I thought things were cooler. That gave me about 9v into the regulator.

The heat sink is truly massive on this one and is away from the RAM at the back of the case so that should not be a problem. The case has a lot of room inside; I could always add a small transformer to provide power for a fan to cool things. Maybe even heatsinks for the RAM chips.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

jimmydeath

Postby jimmydeath » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:00 am

As I say...

If anyone can take a high res scan of both sides of the PCB then maybe we can do something..?

I was thinking of doing the same and scanning the one I was restoring however how did you plan on getting round the ROM/Graphics chip issue. If I recall they have three positive going enables which I have not found on any available PROM or EPROM in which case the PCB layout would have to change and thus it wouldn't be a replica.

Regards

James
Attachments
UK101a.jpg

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:55 pm

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 wrote:Hi, I have started to archive Galactic Hitchhiker but cannot get any output from makeuefam -i ....

So not sure what to do next... maybe I need to tell makeuef that it is 300 baud?

I had the chance today to experiment with my 'new' UK101. I downloaded the RAW file that b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 so kindly provided and loaded it into Audacity on my XP machine. I used Audacity to export the file as a WAV file, which I then burned onto a CD.

Putting the CD into my mini-HiFi system I recorded the file onto cassette tape and, after experimenting with the tone and volume controls on my Ferguson 3T07, the file loaded and ran first time. =D> =D>

I know that 'one swallow doth not a Summer make' but storing UK101 software on audio CDs is looking to be a promising venture.

My next venture in this field will be to investigate Dabeaz's python scripts to convert text files to WAV files as a way of getting software into my UK101. [-o<

The python scripts and more can be found here http://dabeaz.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/us ... sette.html
- John

erazmus

Postby erazmus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:07 pm

jimmydeath wrote:
As I say...

If anyone can take a high res scan of both sides of the PCB then maybe we can do something..?

I was thinking of doing the same and scanning the one I was restoring however how did you plan on getting round the ROM/Graphics chip issue. If I recall they have three positive going enables which I have not found on any available PROM or EPROM in which case the PCB layout would have to change and thus it wouldn't be a replica.

Regards

James

James,
That picture you attached fascinates me. Is that an unbuilt UK101 kit that you have? What would it take to convince you to get some high res scans of the PCB? I have toyed around with the idea of making a reproduction, but I haven't been able to find an unpopulated PCB to make new gerbers from.

richard_g

Postby richard_g » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:09 pm

I've got a Compukit which I'm going to strip back to a bare board at some point soon. It's one of three I picked up recently but this one needs a good deep clean.

I'll get some hi-res scans posted or maybe even some gerbers hopefully.

erazmus

Postby erazmus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:39 pm

richard_g wrote:I've got a Compukit which I'm going to strip back to a bare board at some point soon. It's one of three I picked up recently but this one needs a good deep clean.

I'll get some hi-res scans posted or maybe even some gerbers hopefully.

I would love to see a reproduction kit option available and I'm willing to help out in whatever way I can to make it happen.

I'll keep working on sourcing original parts. There was a mention of a potential problem with PROMs with the wrong polarity chip selects. I thought that there were jumper pads on the original Compukit motherboard that played with address decoding, so it may be possible with just jumpers. If not, a simple adapter board between the motherboard and an EPROM would work and preserve the motherboard. Didn't later Compukits come out with all EPROMs anyway?

jonb

Postby jonb » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:23 pm

..and in the meantime, Grant Searle just published a new, more complete UK101 design on FPGA..

http://searle.hostei.com/grant/uk101FPGA/index.html

Basically, the guy's a genius...

Seldon2k

Postby Seldon2k » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi All,

I vaguely remember cutting a track near a link position W#? and then inserting a link wire between 2 of the 3 positions.
This was when I changed from the Mask programmed MOS ROM to a 2716 2kB EPROM containing CEGMON.

Wow Richard, if you don´t find time to do this I hereby volunteer my time to strip, clean, and scan your dirty 101.

As an Electronics Engineer I could do this without lifting tracks, damaging via's etc.
The PCB would then be cleaned with Trichloroethylene (yes, I still have some) and IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol aka Isopropanol aka Propan-2-ol).

The scanning would be done using my Epson Perfection 3490 Photo.

If you are happy with the results and the time saved :D I just ask to be allowed to retain it to rebuild [-o<

Another comment is about the HOT and GREEDY 2114 Static RAM, if the board is entered into a CAD package the RAM used could be upgraded.
I suggest a 6116 for a 2kB Video RAM replacement and a single 6264 for the 8kB main RAM to stay as original as possible.
Or for those who like big programs the extra space could be used to add a 62256 with decoder for a total of 40kB of cool SRAM 8)

One last point that may have been raised before but has anyone tried to source ALL of the components from a BOM list.
Despite what some may think there are issues replacing LS with HC types etc.
If this has not been done I could undertake to source the parts.

Finally the keyswitches used in the UK101 I seem to recall seeing a reference elsewhere on this forum to a compatible switch being found but what about the keycaps!

Hopefully,
Terry

Seldon2k

Postby Seldon2k » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi Jon,

I have just seen your post about Grant's update.
It seems a vast improvement over his previous serial accessed UK101 design.

I am sure there will still be a small number of purists say who would want a full sized 101.
I for one would like BOTH :D

Terry

jonb

Postby jonb » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Yep, and I built the earlier design, see here:

http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?t=1795

Unfortunately the pictures seem to be not rendering, they are on page 9 of the thread.

erazmus

Postby erazmus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Seldon2k wrote:Another comment is about the HOT and GREEDY 2114 Static RAM, if the board is entered into a CAD package the RAM used could be upgraded.
I suggest a 6116 for a 2kB Video RAM replacement and a single 6264 for the 8kB main RAM to stay as original as possible.
Or for those who like big programs the extra space could be used to add a 62256 with decoder for a total of 40kB of cool SRAM 8)

I forsee a complete reproduction as well as perhaps an enhanced version with mods for better RAM, new keyboard, etc. As for the original reproduction, I'm aware of at least 3 versions of the original - the non-soldermask one, the green solder mask version, and the green solder mask version with "EPROM" in the top copper layer on the lower left of the board. I suspect this one has the jumpers pre-set for EPROMs.
Seldon2k wrote:One last point that may have been raised before but has anyone tried to source ALL of the components from a BOM list.
Despite what some may think there are issues replacing LS with HC types etc.
If this has not been done I could undertake to source the parts.

Finally the keyswitches used in the UK101 I seem to recall seeing a reference elsewhere on this forum to a compatible switch being found but what about the keycaps!

I've started a BOM with links to suppliers on my Compukit site http://www.compukit.org/Parts_List Surprisingly quite a few non-LS 74 series are still available new.

erazmus

Postby erazmus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Seldon2k wrote:Hi Jon,

I have just seen your post about Grant's update.
It seems a vast improvement over his previous serial accessed UK101 design.

I am sure there will still be a small number of purists say who would want a full sized 101.
I for one would like BOTH :D

Terry

I'm in the process of building Grant's FPGA design. I've ordered the same FPGA board that he's used because it's cheap enough to be permanently dedicated to building this. In the meantime, I've brought up his design on a Terasic DE-2 board. I'm playing with the video timing signals to get something that will give me a native 60Hz composite signal - the world's first 60Hz Compukit ? :)

jonb

Postby jonb » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm playing with the video timing signals to get something that will give me a native 60Hz composite signal - the world's first 60Hz Compukit ? :)

Err, don't they call that an Ohio Superboard? :D

erazmus

Postby erazmus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

jonb wrote:Err, don't they call that an Ohio Superboard? :D

Yeah, but the Superboard II didn't have pirated BASIC :)

jimmydeath

Postby jimmydeath » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Hello

I wrote a huge tome yesterday which was lost when I previewed it and clicked on the picture link :( so here goes again, slightly amended as there have been a bunch of posts since then.

When I bought the UK101 it wasn't a kit but I dismantled it because it was badly built and had some replacement parts which were too modern for a 1979 computer. Turning it back to a kit also allowed me to relive my 16th birthday when I got a kit as a present and then sold it a few years later as an impoverished student :(

Yes I did take scans before I rebuilt it however they are 700Mb TIF files, I think I got good enough detail see attached sample.

The Monitor ROM can be replaced directly with a 2716 EPROM and some link changes (no PCB changes) the same goes for the BASIC ROM set but only if you replace the four PROMs with a single 8kx8 device in location U12. I replaced mine (missing one of the original PROMs, BAS03 - anyone got a spare?) with a 2764 without having to mod the board other than link
changes. Even though the 2764 has more pins enough of them line up with that of the PROM such that I could fit it to a second socket with a few links to reroute some of the pins to make it a direct plug in (see pic). I think that there is a Cyrix device that has the right number of pins to make it a direct fit but I haven't had chance to track one down. You can't put EPROMs in locations U9 to U11 without PCB mods

I think that the only component that will give a problem from the point of view of not being able to use a replica PCB (by which I mean a 100% copy) is the character generator. TTL chips are not a problem, you can still get the processor, 6850, 2114s,8T28s and even the correctly sized 100nF ceramic disk capacitors if you look hard enough.(modern 5mm disks just don't look right)

The question is then if PCB changes are required to accomodate say a 2716 in place of the character generator then it isn't going to be a replica so wouldn't it be easier to do your own layout?

Regards

James
Attachments
UK101b.jpg
UK101a.jpg
pcb.jpg

erazmus

Postby erazmus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:45 pm

jimmydeath wrote:Hello

I wrote a huge tome yesterday which was lost when I previewed it and clicked on the picture link :( so here goes again, slightly amended as there have been a bunch of posts since then.

When I bought the UK101 it wasn't a kit but I dismantled it because it was badly built and had some replacement parts which were too modern for a 1979 computer. Turning it back to a kit also allowed me to relive my 16th birthday when I got a kit as a present and then sold it a few years later as an impoverished student :(

That's a beautiful way to re-live the experience. I couldn't afford the kit as an 11 year-old, so after much pestering, my parents bought the bare PCB for me. I then spent the next several months making orders to places like Maplin a week at a time with as many parts as I could afford that week.
Yes I did take scans before I rebuilt it however they are 700Mb TIF files, I think I got good enough detail see attached sample.

That's excellent detail. I would love to find some way to obtain those scans from you. With your permission, I'd be happy to host them on my site for the world to look at. Perhaps a Dropbox link or other method to get the files? You certainly went through tons of work to get the bare PCB, so I don't want to undermine what you have, and if you want to keep the scans yourself, I completely understand.
I think that there is a Cyrix device that has the right number of pins to make it a direct fit but I haven't had chance to track one down. You can't put EPROMs in locations U9 to U11 without PCB mods

I know the PROM problem is one that is faced by the vintage arcade machine community, and I know that they have found several creative methods around it. I seem to recall seeing a little flash-to-DIP pcb board that they use for emulating antique PROMs.
I think that the only component that will give a problem from the point of view of not being able to use a replica PCB (by which I mean a 100% copy) is the character generator.
This is just another PROM problem, I believe.
The question is then if PCB changes are required to accomodate say a 2716 in place of the character generator then it isn't going to be a replica so wouldn't it be easier to do your own layout?
As I mentioned previously, once we've got a digital representation of the original board, we can produce a replica (for the purists, like me), as well as a next-gen version with all sorts of modern upgrades. Similar things have been done with Apple I and Altair replicas in recent years.

Ian

JonTr7

Postby JonTr7 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:46 pm

jimmydeath wrote:Hello

The Monitor ROM can be replaced directly with a 2716 EPROM and some link changes (no PCB changes) the same goes for the BASIC ROM set but only if you replace the four PROMs with a single 8kx8 device in location U12. I replaced mine (missing one of the original PROMs, BAS03 - anyone got a spare?) with a 2764 without having to mod the board other than link
changes. Even though the 2764 has more pins enough of them line up with that of the PROM such that I could fit it to a second socket with a few links to reroute some of the pins to make it a direct plug in (see pic). I think that there is a Cyrix device that has the right number of pins to make it a direct fit but I haven't had chance to track one down. You can't put EPROMs in locations U9 to U11 without PCB mods

I think that the only component that will give a problem from the point of view of not being able to use a replica PCB (by which I mean a 100% copy) is the character generator. TTL chips are not a problem, you can still get the processor, 6850, 2114s,8T28s and even the correctly sized 100nF ceramic disk capacitors if you look hard enough.(modern 5mm disks just don't look right)

Regards

James

Hi James

I'm going to strip one of my UK101 back to the bare board and then rebuild it hopefully better quality soldering. If I come any were close to excellent job you've done with yours I will be well pleased.

Can you tell me were you got the headers fitted to J2 and J3. The only ones I can fined are to small.

I have a spare BASUK03 prom that you're looking for. If you PM me your address I'll send it to you.

I have 2 UK101s and one is the EPROM version. This as the layout changes for using BASIC, monitor and character gen EPROM, so if these changes are made any new board surely it can still be called a replica. I think the biggest problem to make a exact replica is going to be sourcing new keycaps.

John

jimmydeath

Postby jimmydeath » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:52 pm

Hello John

Thanks for your reply.

Can't remember where I got the headers from, probably a radio rally but I have a couple spare that you can have if you like. Note: the pins are a bit large for the PCB so I had to file them down.

I didn't know that there was an EPROM version but it makes sense that if they redesigned it to use Eproms in place of the Monitor and Basic PROMS then they might as well do it for the Character generator too.

Sounds like that would be a better PCB to replicate rather than the older version. People are still welcome to a copy of my scans but as they are rather large I would only want to upload them once to someone who can host them, in the mean time I have attached a compressed version of them.

Thanks for the offer of a BAS03 PROM, i'll send you a PM about that and the connectors shortly

Regards
James
Attachments
UK101 PCB Topside.jpg
UK101 PCB Bottom.jpg

erazmus

Postby erazmus » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 pm

jimmydeath wrote:Sounds like that would be a better PCB to replicate rather than the older version. People are still welcome to a copy of my scans but as they are rather large I would only want to upload them once to someone who can host them, in the mean time I have attached a compressed version of them.

I will gladly donate the space and bandwidth on http://www.compukit.org to host the scans for anyone to grab them. Let me know your preferred way to get them to me - I can give you an FTP site, or we could use Dropbox, or any other method you think would work.

Ian

jimmydeath

Postby jimmydeath » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Hello Ian

FTP transfer sounds good, i'll RAR the files up for ease of uploading

Regards

James

erazmus

Postby erazmus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:17 am

jimmydeath wrote:Hello Ian

FTP transfer sounds good, i'll RAR the files up for ease of uploading

Regards

James

James,
FTP account is set up. I appear to be too new here to PM you, so could you email me at ian@compukit.org and I will send you the username and password to use.

Thanks!

Ian

Seldon2k

Postby Seldon2k » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:09 am

Hi James,

I eagerly await a link to these images and many thanks for providing them.
The underside appears to be in need of a good clean but that may not be so bad in the larger files.

Memory, (ever fallible), tells me that Basic ROM's 1, 2 and 4 were upgraded.
Has anyone posted these or tried to use them in the emulator.
They fixed the incorrect 'error message' display and the garbage collection routines.
IF I ever backed these up it would have been using my BBC so I would have to go through a mass of floppies to find them.

Terry

jimmydeath

Postby jimmydeath » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:08 am

Hello.

Ian - E-mail sent

Terry - The scanner seems to pick up flux residue better than the eye (or at least mine) plus I didn't want to apply too much IPA only to have to do it again once I replaced all the components since it can remove the solder resist if you are not careful.

The residue doesn't prevent you seeing any off the tracks, indeed you can even see some fractured traces that I needed to repair

Regards

James

Return to “other vintage computer hardware, software and games”