Exidy Sorcerer II with S-100 Expansion Unit

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
DutchAcorn

Exidy Sorcerer II with S-100 Expansion Unit

Postby DutchAcorn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Just had to get this: an Exidy Sorcerer II with some nice expansions:

An S-100 expansion unit:
S-100.jpg

Vista S-100 floppy interface and two 48TPI full-hight single sided floppy drives:
floppy.jpg

A hacked-up EPROM cassette, converted to a RAM and IO module
ram+io.jpg

And a Basic Pac.

- The Sorcerer itself works and the RAM module seems to work (it reports a higher top when inserted).
- One of the drives works.
- The Basic Pac has two dead roms (of the four).
- The S-100 unit: I don't know yet if that works.
- The other floppy unit I suspected that the PSU was faulty so I attached a known good PSU. Resulting in a smoking PCB :shock: One or two 74 chips seem fried.
failed.jpg

About the floppy drive: I am looking for the address to call from the monitor to access the drive. I'm sure I saw it somewhere but I can't find it now...

I'll update the thread if I can report progress...

Thanks!
Paul

DutchAcorn

Re: Exidy Sorcerer II with S-100 Expansion Unit

Postby DutchAcorn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:...About the floppy drive: I am looking for the address to call from the monitor to access the drive. I'm sure I saw it somewhere but I can't find it now...

Found it: its D900. :D So the disk system is fired up by issuing the command "GO D900" from the monitor. The few disks I tried so far worked. It is fun to see Pirate Adventure run on the Sorcerer:
pirate.jpg

DIL 14 sockets and a 74LS20 + 74LS74 are on order to see if those bring back life to the disk drive...
Paul

Return to “other vintage computer hardware, software and games”