Turbo XT

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
SarahWalker

Turbo XT

Postby SarahWalker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:58 pm

Inspired by Andy1979's 386 Restoration thread, and martinw's posts a while ago on his IBM XT, I thought I'd share my current project.

A while ago I picked up a 10 MHz Turbo XT compatible board. Normally I'd play with this a little and then put it in the box with my other motherboards, I figured I'd try to do something with this one. I had to actually Make Stuff to get this working, so I'm a little proud of this.

DSC_0002_8.JPG

As you can see this doesn't currently have a case (does anyone have a spare slimline desktop AT case btw?). What it does have :
  • Turbo XT board, with an 8088 at a whopping 10 MHz, with 640kb RAM
  • PS2 keyboard connected via PS/2 -> AT adapter and then an XT2AT converter :
DSC_0001_9.JPG

• EGA graphics, hooked up to my TV via an EGA->SCART cable. This uses a bit of logic to convert the CGA/EGA positive separate syncs into negative composite sync, and also to handle the IBM magic around colour 6 (which on RGBI should be dark yellow but is actually brown). I probably need to remake some of this, as the SCART plug is stuffed a bit full. 9V battery could probably be replaced by 5V from something else, maybe the parallel port.
DSC_0002_9.JPG

• MFM hard disk controller with a 20MB Kalok drive. I think this drive may have originally come from an Arc. A few bad sectors but it mostly seems to work! It is completely full however - 20MB doesn't get you very far even on an XT.
  • Sound Blaster 2
  • Generic 1.44 MB floppy drive on a 16-bit multi-I/O card
DSC_0003_8.JPG

Other things I'd like to do with this :
  • Get a case!
  • Track down a 360kb floppy drive
  • Get a second MFM hard drive - if I can find one!
  • Maybe an 8087, though I'm not sure what I'd do with it

martinw

Re: Turbo XT

Postby martinw » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 pm

That looks very cool Sarah :)

This is an excellent forum BTW.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.p ... st+century

Where I bought my 8087, still not sure what to do with it though :D

Martin

Andy1979

Re: Turbo XT

Postby Andy1979 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 am

Nice work Sarah - I'm glad mine didn't require that many modifications as I'm not sure I'd know where to start.

My MFM drive, controller and 360K floppy actually came from an XT clone that I found in a skip at university about 16/17yrs ago. I didn't have space to keep the case sadly. I was sure I'd kept the motherboard as well because I recall it did work, but I couldn't seem to find it.

I've also found the Vogons forum quite useful, though more from perspective of games from early 90s onwards, mostly on 386/486/pentium class machines.

Return to “other vintage computer hardware, software and games”