Tatung Einstein TC01 PSU upgrade

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
wyerd

Tatung Einstein TC01 PSU upgrade

Postby wyerd » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Spurred on by Simon Inns's PSU upgrade of his BBC Master (http://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=794), I adapted it for the TC01. Details on how I did it are available here http://primrosebank.net/computers/einstein/einstein_psu_rep.htm

Thanks to STEVENDT for hosting the documentation.

sirmorris

Re: Tatung Einstein TC01 PSU upgrade

Postby sirmorris » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:45 pm

=D> =D> Nice write up!

wyerd

Postby wyerd » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:53 pm

sirmorris wrote: =D> =D> Nice write up!

Thanks!

simoni

Postby simoni » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Oddly enough I just got a TC01 and it's in need of a new power supply :)

Looking at the construction of the power supply I don't think you need a 3D printed frame to get the job done. You could simply take a spare piece of plastic (I used plexiglass since I had some lying around), mark it to the shape of the PCB, score it with a knife and snap it to shape.

Then lay it over the plastic stand-offs and mark the locations with a pen; drill some 3-3.5mm holes in the material and simply lock it in place using the original stand-offs. Then you can use 4 more self-adhesive stand-offs to fix the meanwell PSU in place.

I'm still waiting for the PSU to be delivered, but here's a picture to show what I mean:

TC01 PSU.jpg

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Sounds like a great idea :D

However, with mains voltage items, or where high fault currents could flow, I prefer threaded stand-offs held by machine screws and nuts. I've seen too many self-adhesive stand-offs and self-adhesive cable clips fail to trust them. Yes, most stick well for a year to two. But on some the adhesive fails and...

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

simoni

Postby simoni » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Good point Mark; perhaps I will just drill 4 more holes in the plastic and use nylon tube stand-offs instead with some M3 screws and nuts. I've got parts for that around (although the adhesive is usually very good if the surface is clean, smooth and oil free - which the new plastic part is).

Still, my main point was that the TC01 can be done without a 3D printer; which I hope might be useful to someone out there :)

Return to “other vintage computer hardware, software and games”