Tatung Einstein TC-01 with TM-01 colour monitor fault

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
stevendt

Tatung Einstein TC-01 with TM-01 colour monitor fault

Postby stevendt » Sun May 28, 2017 7:10 am

Tatung Einstein TC-01 Video Output

Hi, I posted this on Amibay as well, but there may be more Einstein user's here . . .

I have just bought a Tatung Einstein TC-01 with TM-01 colour monitor. Although it was advertised as working, the monitor is not working, I just get blue on blue output from the TC-01, so I guess that the R&G channels are faulty in some way.

The Monitor has a selector switch for YUV/RGB analogue or RGB TTL and the TC-01 can be selected internally between YUV or RGB analogue.

To prove that the TC-01 was working, I wanted to make up a cable to take the video output to a TV, so I made up a cable to connect the YUV output to the component inputs of my TV, however, my TV reports "Invalid Format" when the component input is selected. I have checked my cable and the TC-01 video configuration, so it looks like the component output is either faulty or not compatible with my TV.

Is anyone here using a TC-01 with component output to a TV? Is there anything special about the required cable?

On a more positive note, I was able to make up an RGB cable and get the RGB output working with the SCART (RGB) input on the same TV.

I'm probably going to be out of luck with the TM-01 monitor, I've not got any experience trying to repair monitors, but I'll probably give it a go at some point, (yes, I know about dangers), but don't really know where to start - even with the service manual that I have found :(

regards
Dave

1024MAK

Re: Tatung Einstein TC-01 with TM-01 colour monitor fault

Postby 1024MAK » Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 am

Is it possible to feed the output of another RGB source into the TM-01 monitor?

The input video signal stages of RGB monitors (be it analogue or TTL levels) are not that complex. However, it could also be a problem with the tube base PCB, or the guns themselves.

One advantage of RGB monitors, is the three channels are normally the same, so it is easy to compare the signals on the three channels if they are all fed with the same signal (black and white picture).

One other possibility is that the monitor is not detecting a valid sync signal. Some more modern TVs and monitors display a single colour screen in the absence of a valid sync signal. But I'm not sure about this monitor.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

stevendt

Postby stevendt » Mon May 29, 2017 8:02 am

Hi Mark,

yes, that should be possible. The monitor has inputs for TTL and Analogue RGB, I just need to make up more cables to take the output from, say, my Memotech FDX or BBC to the monitor.

That's the easy bit, then I need to work out what to do to try and fix the monitor :) Thanks for the suggestions though, maybe I can trace through the TTL colours and spot any obvious differences in signal levels with a B&W input

regards
Dave

RobC

Postby RobC » Mon May 29, 2017 8:48 am

I would definitely test out the monitor with a different source. When I had a similar problem with my Einstein 256, the problem turned out to be a faulty transistor in the Einstein's video circuit.

stevendt

Postby stevendt » Mon May 29, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Rob,

thanks for the input. I did wonder if an Einstein fault could be the problem, but the RGB analogue output works fine into the SCART RGB input on my TV.

Though oddly, the component output doesn't, hence my question on whether there was anything "special" about the component output.

I will try another video source with the monitor though

regards
Dave

stevendt

Postby stevendt » Mon May 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Well, I have confirmed that it is definitely the monitor that's faulty.

Taking the RGB output from my BBC Micro into the monitor's TTL input displays the BBC Micro boot text in blue !

regards
Dave

RobC

Postby RobC » Mon May 29, 2017 5:55 pm

Funnily enough, I've just been watching a video on YouTube where Tom from Ident Computers fixes a Cub that refuses to display red.

Might give you some pointers?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbTpmzyy_64

(Usual warning about messing about with monitors applies!)

stevendt

Postby stevendt » Tue May 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi Rob,

thanks for the link. It was quite interesting, but, not too helpful.

Either the guy had consulted a medium off camera, or he was just lucky :-)

I have gone about as far as I can I think. I have proved that the input board seems to be working and I get 'scope traces for the 3 colours similar to what I see in the manual extract that I have. Unfortunately, the other boards in the monitor are different to the schematics that I have, so I can't really trace the signals too much further. I will give it more thought over the weekend though

regards
Dave

Return to “other vintage computer hardware, software and games”