Dunjunz & Dragons

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
sixxie

Dunjunz & Dragons

Postby sixxie » Mon May 15, 2017 6:11 am

I always loved Dunjunz as a kid, and even playing with other school-age people (so not exactly cooperative), I couldn't get enough of it. Always sad there was never a Dragon version. And so!

http://www.6809.org.uk/dev/dunjunz/

No releases yet, just a bunch of videos, hopefully I'll have something to show at the Dragon meet-up in Cambridge on the 3rd of June.

Oh, and thanks here to davidb for the level format documentation implicit in his set of Python tools :)

davidb

Re: Dunjunz & Dragons

Postby davidb » Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 am

Looking good! I enjoyed reading your development diary for this. It's great to see how the game progressed. :D

I should probably document the level format instead of relying on others to read my code. :oops:

I was a bit confused when you said this about level 25:
That's 24 levels all in 32K. Actually it's 25: the last level isn't available as a separate file (presumably because it contains the chalice), and the only reference I have for that is some screen captures and videos on the web.

The data for the level should be in the Level25 file, though how the chalice is stored is unclear to me.

sixxie

Postby sixxie » Tue May 16, 2017 5:15 am

davidb wrote:I should probably document the level format instead of relying on others to read my code.

The code is the documentation! Ahem.

The data for the level should be in the Level25 file, though how the chalice is stored is unclear to me.

Is that a separate file on the Electron? There's no Level25 file on the Beeb disk, I assumed it was baked into one of the executables.

joachim

Postby joachim » Tue May 16, 2017 8:52 am

sixxie wrote:

Is that a separate file on the Electron? There's no Level25 file on the Beeb disk, I assumed it was baked into one of the executables.

I noticed this when I was researching for that thread about differences between the BBC and Electron levels. It's exactly as you suspect — Level25 is a file on the Electron tape but it's baked into one of the main game files on the BBC disc.

IIRC it is basically formatted like the other 24 level files, including the EOR encryption, but only the top couple of rows are a real level and most of the rest is ASCII text for the you-have-won message (quite possibly it contains the chalice graphic too). Unfortunately I don't remember exactly which file it's in.

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue May 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Level 25 is still supplied as a separate file in the BBC cassette version, so you could use that.

sixxie

Postby sixxie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:29 pm

In case anyone's interested, while not quite finished, the Dragon (and Tandy CoCo) version is playable, completable (in theory) and available for download:

http://www.6809.org.uk/dunjunz/

Source code here:

https://github.com/sixxie/dunjunz

Default game mode is "easy" at the moment (while still testing) which deals less damage and divides the doors & keys into two different colours to increase your chance of getting the right key.

Edit: in the end I just manually created level 25 data from watching gameplay videos :)

davidb

Postby davidb » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Glad to see you're still making progress. :)

joachim

Postby joachim » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:53 am

sixxie wrote:Energy drainers (flashing purple/yellow squares) reflect your shots and drain you if you stand on them. 20 shots to destroy.

It's definitely fewer than 20 shots to destroy it with the barbarian, in the original. I always assumed it was 100 total damage.

sixxie

Postby sixxie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 am

You're right! 12 shots from Barbarian. Cursing that I didn't test that before - Barbarian is one of the two characters you can reasonably control under emulation (ye olde beebem for Linux is all I have). For Fighter (the other one a PC keyboard lets you control sanely) it happens to come to 20 :)

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:16 am

I thought it was always 12 shots, regardless of the damage value of the player's weapon.

sixxie

Postby sixxie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:22 am

And now you're freaking me out a bit, because of course fire it up and test with Fighter and... you're right.

Where on earth did I get 20 from then? I'm blaming cosmic rays.

sixxie

Postby sixxie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:22 am

And it's done!

At least until one or other of the sound boards in development "wins" in the Dragon/CoCo world and it becomes time for "Dunjunz+".

Any remaining inconsistencies can just be filed under "nothing's perfect" :)

I don't suppose Julian Avis has ever materialised online? Google isn't throwing up anyone that sounds like a game developer...

davidb

Postby davidb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:36 am

Well done! :D

Hopefully the word will get out about your version of Dunjunz and we'll hear from Julian Avis.

Return to “other vintage computer hardware, software and games”