MIST FPGA Computer

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
martinw

Re: MIST FPGA Computer

Postby martinw » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:59 am

terriblefire wrote:My MiST board (original prototype version) died! :(

I probably wont be able to do any updates for a bit.

That's sad :(

terriblefire

Postby terriblefire » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:33 pm

Zarchos wrote:
terriblefire wrote:My MiST board (original prototype version) died! :(

I probably wont be able to do any updates for a bit.

Sad news when you've got such fantastic projects.

Could you tell us more about yourself and your relation to the Acorn machines and in particular the 32 bit systems ?

I'm not really an Acorn guy. Except that we used acorn at school. But I find building and debugging retro machines in FPGAs very relaxing.

I was working on an Atari FPGA core when i realised Till Harbum was further ahead except in a few areas. So he took my MFP implementation and merged it with his and I started my own Archie project.

I became a bit of an ARM fanboy in recent years and wanted a platform to develop some interesting hardware. I've got a few Acorn machines now including a A540, A4000, A3000 & RPC (StrongARM). But I also do Amiga stuff too. I have a bunch of Amiga machines and custom boards made for them.

I've been travelling a bunch for work lately so i've not been able to keep my channel up to date or do much new work. But hopefully thats changing now.

Bests
Stephen

terriblefire

Postby terriblefire » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Just a little note to say I got my MiST board working again so I may post some updates. Once again the major feature missing is an SD card driver which I am struggling to write and given my day job is software its not something i get too enthusiastic about.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:06 pm

martinw wrote:
... I'll do a bit of a blog here if anybody is interested, and we can swap experiences if anybody else has any as well :idea:

A blog would be lovely, with plenty of pics and in layman's terms perhaps. Though things seem to have come a bit of a cropper here.....

dragon.jpg

How much is emulation and how much is ULA, or however they do things to make it 'real'?

Hendricus

Postby Hendricus » Thu May 18, 2017 4:03 pm

martinw wrote:
So I tried it on my LCD which initially complained, but when I gave it enough time :wink: it worked 8)

Martin, what did you need to do to get a picture? I tried with the latest core, with the rom files of RiscOS 3.10 (merging the 4 rom files on Windows using command "copy /b rom1+rom2+rom3+rom4 rom" and then renaming the 'rom' file to 'riscos.rom' and copied to the SD card. I used a blank SD card where the latest core was renamed to 'core.rbf'. I do not get anything displayed or sound at startup. The MiST gives 4 orange LED flashes and repeats that a few times when I use the reset button.

UPDATE: I tried with the other core (archimedes_150407_r991.rbf) and that one worked. So there is probably a compatibility problem with the latest core.

Return to “other vintage computer hardware, software and games”