TheCorfiot

Re: Matchbox sized 6502 / Z80 / 6809 Co Pro

Postby TheCorfiot » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:53 pm

As Always Dave, My Saviour ;)

Thanks and have a great Christmas :)

EtchedPixels

Postby EtchedPixels » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Received mine. Took a bit of fiddling and I think actually it was just the plugging unplugging and swearing that fixed it by cleaning the contacts, but it's now running nicely in my BBC B with Turbo MMC.

I do have a few questions on the firmware/software side of things so I can get a cable soldered up and start hacking on it

- Did any of the external memory versions get memory banking support, particularly Z80 and 6809. I know there was some minimal banking mention for the 65C102 but I don't see that anywhere obvious in the vhdl either. That would allow stuff like NtriOS/9, Fuzix, MP/M and CP/M 3 to run on them.
- Where should I be looking for documentation on the Z80, x86 and 68K firmware interfaces. Is there an Acorn document they match ? Also the Z80 BIOS extensions and disk tables for CP/M (thhinking about CP/M 3 and also an ANSI console)
- Does anyone have a known good recipe for reloading firmware under Linux rather than Windows ?

Merry Christmas, hic

Alan

flynnjs

Postby flynnjs » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:03 pm

> Took a bit of fiddling and I think actually it was just the plugging
> unplugging and swearing that fixed it by cleaning the contacts,

Now that's a down to earth failure mode I hadn't really considered. I'd just
assumed that all "wonkyness" would be due to bus loading or PSU noise.

> Did any of the external memory versions get memory banking support

I did have that working on 6502. But just checking Dave's repo shows
ram_addr <= "000" & cpu_addr
in several places so I guess it's not currently available. Fairly trivial to
put back in.

> - Where should I be looking for documentation on the Z80, x86 and
> 68K firmware interfaces.

I'd start somewhere around here:
http://mdfs.net/Docs/Books/Z80CoPro/

> Merry Christmas, hic
> Alan

Glad you're having fun. Merry Christmas all.

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi Alan,
EtchedPixels wrote:- Did any of the external memory versions get memory banking support, particularly Z80 and 6809. I know there was some minimal banking mention for the 65C102 but I don't see that anywhere obvious in the vhdl either. That would allow stuff like NtriOS/9, Fuzix, MP/M and CP/M 3 to run on them.

A one point about a year ago Jason had version of the 6502 Co Pro that included bank switching, but I don't think that code ever made it to my Git Repository. None of the other Co Pros ever had it. But I think this would be fairly easy to add.
EtchedPixels wrote:- Where should I be looking for documentation on the Z80, x86 and 68K firmware interfaces. Is there an Acorn document they match ? Also the Z80 BIOS extensions and disk tables for CP/M (thhinking about CP/M 3 and also an ANSI console)

I'm not sure what you mean by the firmware interface - the MOS API that that firmware presents to higher levels of software?

Most of these designs are sufficiently accurate copies of the original Acorn hardware that we are able to run the original firmware, so any documentation that applied to the original should still be valid. In the case of the 6809, that's a new design, and Jonathan Harston (JHG) developed the firmware, actually years before any real hardware was existed that would run it.

The best place to look for documentation is Jonathan's site. Here's some useful starting points:
http://mdfs.net/Software/Tube/Z80/
http://mdfs.net/Software/Tube/6809/
http://mdfs.net/Software/Tube/80x86/

For the 80x86, this is also a great resource:
http://www.cowsarenotpurple.co.uk/bbcco ... index.html
EtchedPixels wrote:- Does anyone have a known good recipe for reloading firmware under Linux rather than Windows ?

I use Ubuntu 14.04 as my main development OS, and the Xilinx 14.7 ISE software mostly works on this. There are some issue with the Xilinx supplied USB cable drivers not working on modern Kernels. But this alternative has worked well for me:
http://rmdir.de/~michael/xilinx/
Once you have the drivers in place, the instructions are the same as for windows.
EtchedPixels wrote:Merry Christmas, hic

Likewise :lol:

Dave

EtchedPixels

Postby EtchedPixels » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:51 am

Yep the API and also the memory maps. In particular I couldn't find much for the 68000. I'll go have a good read at it and see what I need to get sorted. 6809 is my first interest there, and the source to the ROM image is very helpful. Even without banking it ought to be able to run Cubix (http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/d6809/index.htm). Too many toys not enough time :D

Thanks for the pointer to the cable driver. I have ISE running (well as close as it ever gets to that) already for the Papilio and other FPGA toys.

Alan

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:11 pm

EtchedPixels wrote:Yep the API and also the memory maps. In particular I couldn't find much for the 68000.

The 68000 was Eelco's work:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... f=3&t=9916

Merry Christmas!

Dave

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:45 pm

fordp wrote:Wow well done guys, this must be the fastest Beeb in the world.

I am still loving this thread and if I am correct there is lots to come. I have certain plans I will keep under wraps for now.

Dave,

Any idea when the port to Matchbox LX9 will be available. I have a colleague who is very good with a soldering iron ;) There is no rush as I do not have my Matchbox LX9 yet.

I've just done the port of the SPI Co Processor bridge to the real Matchbox LX9 hardware:
https://github.com/hoglet67/CoPro6502/c ... 49dbe918ca

Here's a piccie of a Raspberry Pi Model B connected up to a Matchbox LX9 board (one of Jason's original prototypes):
IMG_0199.JPG

Here it is with the 6502 Pi firmware running:
IMG_0200.JPG

Tube Elite is quite zippy:
IMG_0201.JPG

Here it is with the ARM Pi firmware running:
IMG_0202.JPG

This must be a record for BBC Basic speed on an actual Beeb:
IMG_0203.JPG

The 6502 Pi firmware seems 100% stable.

The ARM Pi firmware currently has some issues, in that loading will frequently hang. I'm not sure what the cause of this is yet. It could be a regression due to us enabling the MMC/Data Cache recently. It could be an incompatibility with RamFS. I'll look into this in due course, and report back in the other thread.

Here's a build of the LX9 firmware that replaces the BIST design in slot 4 (0100) with the SPI Co Pro bridge:
LX9CoProCombined_20151230_1407_dmb.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 39 times

This should be regarded as very experimental!

The Raspberry Pi connects to the "test" signals Matchbox board that drive the LEDs:

Code: Select all

Matchbox LX9 Board              Raspberry Pi Model B

Test(0) <<<<===== SSEL <<<<=====  SPI0_CE0N (Pin 24)
Test(1) <<<<===== SCK  <<<<=====  SPI0_SCLK (Pin 23)
Test(2) <<<<===== MOSI <<<<=====  SPI0_MOSI (Pin 19)
Test(3) =====>>>> MISO =====>>>>  SPI0_MISO (Pin 21)
Test(4) =====>>>> IRQn =====>>>>  GPIO17    (Pin 11)
Test(5) =====>>>> NMIn =====>>>>  GPIO18    (Pin 12)
Test(6) =====>>>> RSTn =====>>>>  GPIO7     (Pin 26)
Ground  ========================  Ground    (Pin 25)

Test(0) is the LED furthest from the board edge

A few things to note:

1. To avoid conflicts when a Raspberry Pi is connected, I went through each of the designs and made sure the test signals were not being driven. This means the LEDs will not light up in any of the other designs.

2. The Co Pro SPI design is temporarily replacing the BIST design in slot 4, i.e. DIP settings 0100, *FX 151,230,4. We should think whether there is a better position for it.

3. I'm a bit paranoid about power supply sequencing, since the Raspberry Pi is likely to be powered independently. For now, I would suggest powering the Beeb/Matchbox up first, and then the Raspberry Pi. At the end, power the Raspberry Pi down first, and then the Beeb/Matchbox. The only reason for this specific sequencing is that Raspberry Pi's are cheaper/more available than Matchbox LX9 boards! An alternative would be to put some resistors in the cable. Jason, any thoughts on this?

4. On my prototype board there are no LEDs fitted. It's possible we will have problems with signal levels on production boards with LEDs, because the output drive is currently set to only 2mA. This depends a bit on the LED/resistor values Jason has fitted. But it's easy to increase the drive a bit if needed.

5. On the second batch of production boards there is a 5x2 header for the test connector. I've just ordered a board from Jason's Web Shop. At the moment, I'm not sure of the pinout of this, or the appropriate connector. Jason??

6. If the Raspberry Pi is not present, the Co Pro SPI design will hang the Beeb (as the tube is detected but the start message is never sent)

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fordp

Postby fordp » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Great work Dave, I am looking forward to getting my Matchbox LX9 connected to my Raspberry Pi Zero. I intend to power it from the Tube 5V supply so power sequencing should not be an issue.

Cheers.
FordP (Simon Ellwood)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so!

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:56 pm

hoglet wrote:The ARM Pi firmware currently has some issues, in that loading will frequently hang. I'm not sure what the cause of this is yet. It could be a regression due to us enabling the MMC/Data Cache recently. It could be an incompatibility with RamFS. I'll look into this in due course, and report back

I've just had a quick look at this, and it's looking like the same incompatibility with RamFS 1.00 that the 6809 Co Pro has. The ARM firmware is currently making use of the interrupt from Tube release to terminate the data transfer. RamFS 1.00 send a Tube Release at the end of *RUN, but not at the end of *LOAD.

I've tested with Acorn DFS, and that seems to work correctly.

I need to go back and refresh my memory of where Jonathan got to with his RamFS 1.01 Patch for this issue.

Dave

iainjh

Postby iainjh » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi!

I saw (in another thread in dec) andygarton was having troubles with a datacentre-equipped model B and the co-pro (mine also a internal-datacentre equipped B, with a batch 1 co-pro with Nov 15 firmware and the extra capacitor added, no cable)

I'm still having very similar problems, on *FX... enabling the co-pro and control breaking it i usually get **BASIC>, corruption or just a * prompt (basic seems not to be loaded in that case) and I'm stumped what to try next.

I shall post a pic of the B tonight and confirm what roms etc are in it, and try unplugging the data centre again, but its a Retroclinic B with internal datacentre, XADFS, RAMFS and a 1770 board / dfs.

I booted it last night from elite on floppy, but after 30 seconds i get various screen corruption also.

Z80 seems more happy, but I may be wrong as I dont have a 3.5" disk with cp/m on.

is this an un-resolvable bus loading issue or are there any clues please of what I can test/ how I can try to resolve?

cheers for any help!

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:44 pm

hoglet wrote:I need to go back and refresh my memory of where Jonathan got to with his RamFS 1.01 Patch for this issue.

The 1.01 patch fixes all Tube tranfers execpt for OSGBPB. I've had my system powered down to do some electrical work over the last few days, but it's all on again now so I can update the patch. Unfortunately, my Master doesn't turn back on again, so until I dismantle it and work out what's wrong and fix it I won't be able to test anything.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:04 pm

jgharston wrote:
hoglet wrote:I need to go back and refresh my memory of where Jonathan got to with his RamFS 1.01 Patch for this issue.

The 1.01 patch fixes all Tube tranfers execpt for OSGBPB. I've had my system powered down to do some electrical work over the last few days, but it's all on again now so I can update the patch. Unfortunately, my Master doesn't turn back on again, so until I dismantle it and work out what's wrong and fix it I won't be able to test anything.

And I can confirm that the 1.01 patch does fix the hang I was experiencing in the ARM Co Pro.

Dave

flynnjs

Postby flynnjs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:19 pm

iainjh wrote:I booted it last night from elite on floppy, but after 30 seconds i get various screen corruption also.

Have you got just the cap across the level shifter on the 3v side or the 5v one too?
Have you tried without the DC?
Have you seen the thread about full inserting the board if not using a cable?

iainjh

Postby iainjh » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi

I think I have both caps - I added one of them, with my rubbish soldering! - this visible in the pic. Is the level shift one in place? Ignore the tape which is just covering up the flashing header.

I've unplugged the DC user port cable. It does control-break cleanly more often without the DC, but still produces garbage and a hang on a *prompt etc 30% of the time. Elite executive still crashes 100% of the time within 5 seconds.

The pics here are booting from elite exec on 3.5" floppy (I created that from .img off I bell's site, using the DC to *import it to disk)

Z80, pushing it by loading the fastest core setup, hangs on a * prompt also so I was wrong that behaved better.

Can you see from this pic if the board is in far enough? It feels like it is and ive put in on and off 20+ times.

cheers for your help!

iain
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender_4.jpg
IMG_2846.JPG
FullSizeRender_6.jpg
FullSizeRender_1.jpg
FullSizeRender_3.jpg
FullSizeRender_2.jpg
FullSizeRender_5.jpg

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi Iain,
iainjh wrote:I think I have both caps - I added one of them, with my rubbish soldering! - this visible in the pic. Is the level shift one in place? Ignore the tape which is just covering up the flashing header.

I've unplugged the DC user port cable. It does control-break cleanly more often without the DC, but still produces garbage and a hang on a *prompt etc 30% of the time. Elite executive still crashes 100% of the time within 5 seconds.

Apologies if you've already answered these:
- Have you ever used an original Co Pro on this machine (someone else reported problems with a tarnished tube socket)?
- What kind of RAMROM board is fitted (I'm thinking of data bus load)?
- What Matchbox Firmware are you running with?
- Do you have another machine you could test in?

Dave

iainjh

Postby iainjh » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Hi!

its not got a ramrom board, the main board has been modified by retroclinic to allow, the flysheet says: 10 sideways rom slots (up from standard 4), the machine contains 3 roms. first is os 1.20, then 2 'combiroms' with 2 sw ram slots at 15 and 11.

I did try an original acorn 6502 on this machine and a kortinck de0 -nano 6502 on this machine.. but that was 2 or 3 years ago, worked back then.

Some time after I bought I added a speech! eprom and seperately I added a retroclinic 1770 dfs board. thats all I can think of thats changed since.

at this point I hope I've not messed up the rom order or something equally stupid! it boots into 1770 DFS, then I shift break to boot from floppy, or *xadfs .or *ram if I want to use the datacentre or boot from the cf card.

I dont have another bbc - i can post the co-pro though if it helps check & eliminate the board.

I originally did have a tube cable from daveh, but it never booted at that point. then you suggested adding the capacitor, added the *fx soft switch, matters improved and it worked better without cable.. but thats where I am now.

firmware: thecorfiot flashed it for me around november time. how can I tell which firmware it is?

ps is it safe to use switch contact cleaner (servisol super 10) on the tube connector ? or clean it with pencil rubber, if that connector is suspect?

flynnjs

Postby flynnjs » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:28 am

So I have a DC, a 1770 FDC and SWRAM installed. The only thing left I can think
is I have upgraded to a CMOS CPU. I wonder if that is driving the bus differently
to a standard NMOS CPU. I'll see if I can find another CMOS CPU and post it to you
to try. Before that, can you find out what CPU you have, please?

iainjh

Postby iainjh » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 am

R6502AP
R6502-13

i think its a rockwell..

I have other machines here I can borrow a 6502 from. atari 800, c64(if those count), atom, pet. apple ii. None recent.

EDIT: or i can just buy one off ebay if someone can recommend a link?

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:33 am

Try removing Speech! :?:
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

iainjh

Postby iainjh » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:47 am

just tried it - exactly the same without the speech rom.

EDIT:

Jason: thanks for the offer. If you do have a good 6502 spare - yes please! I've actually just ordered another co-pro from your site; could it go in the same package, save you postage too.

if I end up with a spare co-pro I have a mate lined up for it.

TIA

flynnjs

Postby flynnjs » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:14 pm

I had a look, I have a CMOS processor you can try.

flynnjs

Postby flynnjs » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Iain, did you get the spare CMOS CPU? It would be good to get some feedback so we can let others know of it improves things.

iainjh

Postby iainjh » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:11 am

Hi, just got it today! Arrived with the shiny new co-pro board, thanks:)

tried it tonight, results:

With the cmos 6502 - tried with my original and the newly arrived co -pro; shift-break'ing Elite Co-pro off 3.5" disk - I left it zipping through space at a silly speed and it was rock solid, on 16mhz 65c02 and 4mhz, left it running on both for about 30 mins each inc on the cobra menu.

So that replacement 6502 seems to have made a world of difference off floppy disk. Thank you Jason!

However, trying to run a program in basic (or the games menu off the datacentre CF card)- exactly the same issues as before. *fx... to set the co-pro speed, control-break and get either *basic or ***basic (and freeze while loading the games menu).

One difference on the newer co-pro (I need check this) - it arrived with the dip switch set to boot cold into 65c02 co-pro 4mhz - I noted it booted cleanly ie I just get 65c02 4mhz message, and BASIC, ie i didnt get the * or *** before the BASIC text.

again for datacentre, *XADFS should reboot, but it doesnt. Shift break the games menu... same as before, a hang.

can you have a look Jason please at my *roms listing, is yours the same? I understand *XADFS and *YADFS are loaded into swram .. is that right/ all the same as yours? what can I test now?

tomorrow i need clarify if the dip switched set speeds are stable in regular cold-boot into basic and booting off floppy.

thanks again for all your help

flynnjs

Postby flynnjs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 pm

Doesn't surprise me the CMOS processor has changed something. There wasn't much left
to rule out. What manufacturer was your original NMOS CPU?

I have the following ROMs installed:
RamFS 1.00
ADFS 1.33
DFS 2.26
If I need anything else I load it into SWR from the DC.
I've never even heard of XADFS or YADFS.

Rather than *FX to change speed, can you set via DIP with your games stuff please?
Does this problem with games
- happen on boath boards?
- happen at all speeds (including internal and external RAM settings) ?

Also, be aware that there may be a few CoPros out there with the DIP 180 degrees rotated
so that unless you look closely ON/OFF are reversed (although the bit positions are obviously
still the same order).

firthmj

Postby firthmj » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:07 pm

*XADFS and *YADFS are the RetroClinic way of loading two different IDE supporting ADFS images into sideways RAM.

One point to note is that the ADFS 1.32 that *XADFS selects does not work well with Co-Pros - I've never worked out why, the original (non-IDE) ADFS it is derived from seems OK.

Perhaps with a way of running Hoglet's ICE system in a Beeb (and ideally on the CoPro too, but that might be trickier) the bug can be tracked down at some point.

For now, can you try with *YADFS, and see if that behaves better (this should report as "Acorn ADFS", and list as V1.33 in *HELP)

Though it pushes page sky high, that doesn't matter too much when a CoPro is active, as generally the main memory isn't used by much any more

Regards

Michael
Had fun at the
Meeting 13th May 2017

firthmj

Postby firthmj » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:10 pm

firthmj wrote:*XADFS and *YADFS are the RetroClinic way of loading two different IDE supporting ADFS images into sideways RAM.

One point to note is that the ADFS 1.32 that *XADFS selects does not work well with Co-Pros - I've never worked out why, the original (non-IDE) ADFS it is derived from seems OK.

Perhaps with a way of running Hoglet's ICE system in a Beeb (and ideally on the CoPro too, but that might be trickier) the bug can be tracked down at some point.

For now, can you try with *YADFS, and see if that behaves better (this should report as "Acorn ADFS", and list as V1.33 in *HELP)

Though it pushes page sky high, that doesn't matter too much when a CoPro is active, as generally the main memory isn't used by much any more

Regards

Michael

One other thing, getting a Beeb to "self reset" with a CoPro active involves a few more tricks than without, so it may be that the *XADFS and *YADFS commands aren't able to reset the system with the CoPro present. If that is the case, the BREAK (ideally CTRL-BREAK) should reset the system.
Had fun at the
Meeting 13th May 2017

iainjh

Postby iainjh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:04 am

Hi!

the old cpu appears to be a rockwell (Markings on it, are a few posts up)

I need an ADFS loaded to load from the Cf card.. even if the co-pro isnt actually running (as I understood most games arent 6502 co-pro friendly anyway).

As firthmj says, trying *YADFS, in basic it is a lot more stable! Not stable enough to run the games menu with shift-break however, that creates the same error.

Correct, *XADFS no longer triggers a soft break, as you say. But if I then control break it still doesnt reset properly, I get the * or *** on screen.

thanks for the guidance here, i feel I'm getting somewhere!

thursday or friday i'll try setting only with dip switches, off and 65c102, and will report back.

flynnjs

Postby flynnjs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:29 am

iainjh wrote:the old cpu appears to be a rockwell

I think I have the real Rockwell NMOS that I removed back in the day when
I upgraded to get the extra instructions. I'll try popping that back in my B
and see if any issues arise.

Would be good if we can get that CMOS device over the Andy G so that he
can try it as he's seeing similar issues.

iainjh

Postby iainjh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 am

Andy G if you'd like to PM me with your details, i'll send it on!

Can someone therefore suggest a supply of cmos 6502's or, if will do the job, a cmos 65c102? as I need buy one ASAP.

Ta

one more question about ADFS's that are patched for IDE and have low-enough page for games (ie alternatives to the *XADFS above I seem to be having problems with) -what ADFS's are others using successfully with their co-pro's and if fitted, datacentres?

AndyGarton

Postby AndyGarton » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks for the offer Iain but to be honest I don't have the skills, experience or confidence to switch my CPU and I really don't want to make things worse by breaking the machine without the co-pro as well!

Return to “acorn atom”