I've got an Acorn Atom... Woot Woot :) (changed title (again) :)

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom
waltermixxx

I've got an Acorn Atom... Woot Woot :) (changed title (again) :)

Postby waltermixxx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:46 am

I have a lovely ZX-UNO setup up as an Acorn Atom, and as great as it works, I was hoping it would satisfy my need for an Acorn Atom but
typing on a PS/2 Keyboard spoils the illusion. So I was wondering, at the risk of sounding both pathetic and unappreciative:

Pathetic me: Does anyone have an extra Acorn Atom they can to sell a canadian who's first store bought computer was an NTSC Acorn Atom from Global Electronics, in the Avenue Rd and Eglington area. I'm not looking for an NTSC model per say, Pal would be totally cool :)

now for the unappreciative part: ( I suspect a lot of work went into the Core for the Acorn Atom.... but i was wondering....
how difficult it would be to use the 36 expansion pins on the zx-uno to support a matrix keyboard:
as laid out by the original Acorn schematic.... 10 x 6 matrix with 3 additional lines for shift, Ctrl, and Repeat (I think). :)

i would create the keyboard with keys on a pcboard. :) these keys with clear keycaps would be good:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-Pcs-B ... 5,201560_1

the keycaps are clear so I could print out what the letters are and insert them under the clear cover.

or perhaps use an arduino to ps/2 and use the ps/2 connector already on the ZX-UNO?

has anyone built such a beastie?

At this stage I think an Arduino to PS/2 might be easier? 6 x 10 +3 data lines + 2 for PS/2 (for the matrix) I wonder if a propeller might be better?
Last edited by waltermixxx on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

waltermixxx

Re: At the risk of sounding pathetic...I want an Acorn Atom... :)

Postby waltermixxx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 am

Ok so I found an old HP keyboard from 2003 which is ps/2, removed the little controller board,
and now mapping out the matrix. Then I can use the row and columns for the keys I need. :)

that may be the quickest solution... (pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/66577016@ ... 7613941532)

But I still do want an Acorn Atom :)

cheers. :)

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:00 am

waltermixxx wrote:now for the unappreciative part: ( I suspect a lot of work went into the Core for the Acorn Atom.... but i was wondering....
how difficult it would be to use the 36 expansion pins on the zx-uno to support a matrix keyboard:
as laid out by the original Acorn schematic.... 10 x 6 matrix with 3 additional lines for shift, Ctrl, and Repeat (I think). :)

I don't think that would be too much work....

I also strongly dislike the using a PS/2 keyboard on AtomFPGA.
waltermixxx wrote:i would create the keyboard with keys on a pcboard. :) these keys with clear keycaps would be good:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-Pcs-B ... 5,201560_1

the keycaps are clear so I could print out what the letters are and insert them under the clear cover.

I also "made" an Atom keyboard out of an old BBC keyboard:
IMG_0925.JPG

See this thread for more details:
viewtopic.php?p=109690#p109690

This was made for Roland's "New Atom" design, which I think is no longer available due to the unavailability of GODILs.

Dave

waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 am

Very nicely done.

Inspirational. :0)

I will keep at it.

crj

Postby crj » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:08 am

It might be worth knowing that there are places that'll do custom key caps as a one-off. These people charge $3.75 each, which is far from out of the question. (I've never bought any, though, so this isn't a personal recommendation for that specific company.)

waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:58 pm

I appreciate that. :)

I have begun to try and map out the matrix on the ps/2 keyboard encoder,
but there are a number of keys that dont move or change the cursor when you shot out connections on the
matrix points...

I was wondering is there an acorn keyboard test program that indicates what you are pressing?
so if you press the REPEAT key it will indciate "REPEAT" or CNTRL, or SHIFT ?

as I am simply shorting connection on the little board... it would be handy if there was an application that either highlights on a graphic keyboard what is pressed, or indicates via text what is bring pressed, :)

any suggestions would be great. :)

cheers. :)

John Ferguson

Postby John Ferguson » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:26 pm

If you look on the UK EBay site you will find one for sale.

John

waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:09 pm

I found this program for scanning the keyboard.... I suspect this will work with the ZX-UNO FPGA Acorn Atom?
it's from a book ( I will put the book info in once I find it again... closed that window...) hmmmmm I dont see any references to printing the code for the key pressed or anything so this may not help me.... I will have to look more closely at this... ok did some more "looking into this" and it appears the result of the keyboard scan is stored in #80, i guess i would do a peek #80 and display the code... first run it with a working ps/2 keyboard and make note of the values for the keys I need ( the arrow keys, rept, and crtl etc. ) then go back to the ps/2 interface from the salvaged keyboard and continue mapping. :)

keyscan.png
Last edited by waltermixxx on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:15 pm

John Ferguson wrote:If you look on the UK EBay site you will find one for sale.

John

says may not post to Canada.
:(

waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 pm

I did some more sleuthing and found this code by Dave (Hoglet):

https://github.com/hoglet67/Ice40Atom/b ... oard.v#L49

which seems to map out the required codes from the PS/2 keyboard to the appropriate matrix selection on a real atom :)
this is very handy for my custom matrix based on a PS/2 keyboard module and home made keyboard for my ZX-uno :)

Thanks Dave!

waltermixxx

Re: I want an Acorn Atom... :)

Postby waltermixxx » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Happy to report that I was able to get an Acorn Atom from the Very Gracious Roland. The unit is on it's way, and I will post pictures once it arrives. The unit is has 16k of ram, and is fitted with the 6522 VIA and supporting chips. It comes with all three rom sockets populated with the MOS, Floating point Rom, and DISATOM. I will most likely need to remove the DISATOM in order to place the ATOMMC2 ROM in it's place when that arrives.

1981 here I come. :) OMD Joan of Ark plays quietly in the background slowly getting louder! :)

or ACDC For Those About To ROCK, if you swing in that direction. :)

I do like both. :)

Thanks again... :)

Now If I only had a RAM/ROM board. :)

Multiwizard

Postby Multiwizard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 pm

waltermixxx wrote:Happy to report that I was able to get an Acorn Atom from the Very Gracious Roland.

=D> \:D/ =D>

Greetings, Wim... :-)

roland

Postby roland » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 pm

waltermixxx wrote:Happy to report that I was able to get an Acorn Atom from the Very Gracious Roland.

Yeah .... I have to fund my trip to Manchester somehow ... so this way I can make two people happy :lol:

Waltermixxx wrote:I will most likely need to remove the DISATOM in order to place the ATOMMC2 ROM in it's place when that arrives.

Well, you can always piggy pack two 2532's and address one of them to #Exxx if you don't get a ramrom board. It's quite easy and non-destructive for the Atom. You just need an extra socket and a small piece of wire. Plus an eprom of course; you got one extra with the Atom so that is already settled.
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

1024MAK

Re: I've got an Acorn Atom... Woot Woot :) (changed title (again) :)

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:29 pm

Rock on :D =D> =D> =D>

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:19 am

I have experience stacking EPROMs. I did it on my My bbc model B and B + using eeproms as well as static rams. For the Atom, Based on the schematic I'm guessing you mean a wire from pin 9 on chip ic23? (74ls138?). Let me know where if that's not it.

Educated guess:

So solder a socket on top of the ATOMMC2 eprom except pin 20, cut pin 20 on the socket so it does not touch pin 20 on the ATOMMC2 eprom. Put the DISATOM eprom into the socket and solder a wire from pin 20 on DISATOM, to pin 9 on ic 23? (E000 chip select)

:0)

oss003

Postby oss003 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:10 am

No that doesn't work because the AtoMMC rom and DISATOM are both #Axxx versions.
You could install an #Exxx AtoMMC rom instead of a #Axxx version and place the AtoMMC rom on top.

Greetings
Kees

Prime

Postby Prime » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:10 am

oss003 wrote:No that doesn't work because the AtoMMC rom and DISATOM are both #Axxx versions.
You could install an #Exxx AtoMMC rom instead of a #Axxx version and place the AtoMMC rom on top.

But if he did that wouldn't it preclude the use of SDDOS which IIRC is an $E000 ROM?

I do have some RAMROM boards left, which I must get assembled at some point as I have a couple of people waiting for them, but have been busy with DragonMMC and the Apple II SDe project.

Cheers.

Phill.

oss003

Postby oss003 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:04 am

Prime wrote:But if he did that wouldn't it preclude the use of SDDOS which IIRC is an $E000 ROM?

SDDOS is an #Axxx rom so could be used instead of the DISATOM.
SDDOS is a standalone rom so doesn't need the AtoMMC rom.

You can use an #Exxx version of AtoMMC and an #Axxx version of SDDOS. This way you can directly read/write files on the SD card (AtoMMC) or use diskimages to read/write to (SDDOS).

Greetings
Kees

martinw

Postby martinw » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

8) =D>

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:23 pm

E000 AtoMMC requires a patched FP ROM.

oss003

Postby oss003 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 pm

sirmorris wrote:E000 AtoMMC requires a patched FP ROM.

For autobooting you need a patched Fxxx rom but you can manually boot the AtoMMC rom by linking to #EFC0.
The Floating Point patch is for BRAN, automatic ROM switching software.

Greetings
Kees

sirmorris

Postby sirmorris » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Manual linking's no fun though, is it? ;)

oss003

Postby oss003 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Manual linking is soooooo 80's ... but if you like manual linking, it is ........ :D

Greetings
Kees

waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Prime wrote:
oss003 wrote:No that doesn't work because the AtoMMC rom and DISATOM are both #Axxx versions.

But if he did that wouldn't it preclude the use of SDDOS which IIRC is an $E000 ROM?

I do have some RAMROM boards left, which I must get assembled at some point as I have a couple of people waiting for them, but have been busy with DragonMMC and the Apple II SDe project.

Cheers.

Phill.

I've sent you a private message requesting a spot on the waiting list if possible... :) or a kit of parts if possible so I can solder it on my own. :) Hoping either is possible. :)

Cheers. :) (please take my money!) :)

Return to “acorn atom”