Atom keyboard switches

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom
numbersix

Atom keyboard switches

Postby numbersix » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:40 am

I've got an issue 4 Atom on the bench at the moment and having replaced the regulators, a couple of video memory chips and fixed some sticky keys with contact cleaner and reflowing the solder I am left with just three keys which still don't work, Y, F and C.

Is it possible to remove the black inserts after desoldering the contacts or is the only route taking the entire keyboard frame off as Martin has done in another thread? The switches look like an absolute nightmare and I don't want to break anything more than it is already.

hoglet

Re: Atom keyboard switches

Postby hoglet » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:32 am

A couple of things to try before doing anything more drastic.

1. Resolder the connections to the affected key, even if the look reasonable.
2. Short the pads together under the affected key with a piece of wire, and see if the letter appears on the screen. If it doesn't the fault is elsewhere.

numbersix

Postby numbersix » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks, I have reflowed the solder already on those keys, but it didn't help. I'll try shorting the pads this afternoon and see if it helps.

numbersix

Postby numbersix » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Y now works on its own, but C and F don't. They work fine if I short it with wire so it mut be the contacts. Return and 8 have started to fail as well. I think it's time to sell it before I just get overly frustrated with it.

Return to “acorn atom”