Poorly issue 4 board

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom
decle

Poorly issue 4 board

Postby decle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:21 pm

Like many before me, I have a poorly issue 4 board that I hope to resurrect.

In a previous life this was heavily modified with piggybacked RAM, selectable ROMs and what I believe was a screen noise cancelling circuit. I have stripped off the homebrew changes and reverted to a minimal 2K configuration with ICs that are known to be good. This is an approach that served me well when fixing an issue 5 board.

The first problem appears to be that neither the video or main clock are running at the correct frequencies. The main clock seems to be running at ~1.5KHz. I've done the obvious things, checked power, connections, tried a couple of different LS04s in IC45, removed IC44, changed the crystal. All no dice.

I'm concerned that the noise cancelling might have had some changes to the clock circuit, although I cannot see any track cuts, and it is not obvious to me why it would have.

I'm using the schematic here for reference:

http://goffart.co.uk/museum/schematics/atom.pdf

I assume it will be applicable to both the issue 4 and issue 5 boards as far as clock generation is concerned (it seems to be).

Has anyone else seen similar behaviour? Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

decle

1024MAK

Re: Poorly issue 4 board

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 pm

How (as in what test gear) are you measuring the clock frequency?
And just as important, at which connection / pin are you measuring it?

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

decle

Re: Poorly issue 4 board

Postby decle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 pm

1024MAK wrote:How (as in what test gear) are you measuring the clock frequency?
And just as important, at which connection / pin are you measuring it?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tip, looks like I had a combination dead IC44 & an attack of analogue numptiness. I'm testing with a cheap USB logic analyser, and it did not occur to me that the clock circuits would need appropriate loads to resonate at the correct frequency (at least I assume that is what is occurring). So with a working LS393 in IC44 and examining the clock on pin 10 of that, rather than anywhere associated with IC45 I can see 1MHz. I'm guessing this is also why I'm seeing wonky frequencies on IC9, my observations are upsetting the experiment. As the video clock feeds directly into the 6847, I don't believe I can observe it directly. However, looking at *HS and *FS on pins 38 and 37 they look to be clocking at 15.7KHz and 59.9Hz respectively so I think all is now well on the clock front.

Right, onward. What is not working next...

Thanks

decle

Return to “acorn atom”