ABug and StarDot preservation fund

These forums are for community collaboration on archiving, magazine scanning etc. to avoid work duplication and agree conventions / define standards
sydney

ABug and StarDot preservation fund

Postby sydney » Wed May 20, 2015 7:29 am

Hi all

Dave Moore and I have set up a fund for use by ABug (Acorn & BBC Micro User Group) and the StarDot site to enable us to buy useful things and help with the procurement of MIA software titles or other items that need preservation.

The exact details of how the fund will be used are yet to be finalised and input from donators is welcomed. I'll add more details on how and when the fund can be used when it has been finalised.

Our first purchase was 12 folding tables for use at ABug meetups, which were in most part funded by the acquisition of a RISC PC & Archimedes by Zarchos at the Wakefield show. The computers (together with some books and other items) had been kindly donated by Jill, widow of the late Andy Dennison - a keen RISC OS (and formerly, BBC Micro) user whom we sadly lost earlier this year.

The tables are now set up at the new Acorn HQ in Bolton.

I'll attach a spreadsheet detailing all income and expenditure to this post and update it when needed.

One more thing, please buy some books from me, the wife is starting to complain about them!
Attachments
fund.zip
(10.54 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

Elminster

Re: ABUG and Stardot preservation fund

Postby Elminster » Wed May 20, 2015 9:00 am

Perhaps a membership scheme where we all get a shiny gold card and discounts from all the Acorn shops (not many but better than nothing).

One of those paypal donate things would probably be good, as I bet everyone here has paypal for ebay use.

Or what about an agreement with retro hardware makers, where X pence goes to ABUG/Stardot.

Failing that a bake off.

BTW my wife complains about the 14 books I already bought off you. Besides I have all the others already.

poink

Postby poink » Thu May 21, 2015 2:19 am

sydney wrote:One more thing, please buy some books from me, the wife is starting to complain about them!

For anyone else wondering where to find these books:
Abug Book Sales (from this post)

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu May 21, 2015 2:35 am

poink wrote:For anyone else wondering where to find these books
Thanks, I was wondering but too embarrassed to ask. :oops: :roll:

Have bid on three, hope "they" ship to NZ. :D

Glad to see the fund under way and things happening. =D>

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Thu May 21, 2015 11:19 am

Have bid on three, hope "they" ship to NZ. :D

Just bid on all of them so there is money in kitty for bacon sandwiches.

Another idea that was floating around in my head, based on idea mentioned above about a percentage of new hardware going to stardot/abug funds. Could act as a kickstarter type resource. Encouraging more hardware projects would equal more cash.

Or a project venture capitalist where abug puts up the development cash and then gets a return greater than its investment (assuming we all buy whatever it is).

Just some brainstorming ideas.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Thu May 21, 2015 3:58 pm

So is the name of the fund is the "ABUG and Stardot preservation fund"?

I occasionally sell a BBC without a DFS (3 so far) and included a MMC solution developed here on Stardot. I made a donation to the Museum of Computer History for those but this fund would of course be much more appropriate.

A paypal account would be handy (but I think paypal also charges for charity accounts).

As a money raiser someone could offer ready made UPURS cables (+ROM?) for cost+P&P+fund donation.

I would think ready made MMC/SmartSPI kits would also be popular but I am reluctant to suggest unfair competition with the commercial TurboMMC.

Just some thoughts...
Paul

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu May 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Elminster wrote:Just bid on all of them so there is money in kitty for bacon sandwiches.
Hhhhmmm, I'm sure there is a flaw in your argument (other than I won't see the bacon sandwiches ... hhhhmmm =P~ bacon). :-k

Return to “community projects”