Friendly Electron Club Newsletter

These forums are for community collaboration on archiving, magazine scanning etc. to avoid work duplication and agree conventions / define standards
jms2

Friendly Electron Club Newsletter

Postby jms2 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Found this in some old papers at my parents' house this weekend.

Back in 1987, I was getting a bit bored with my tape-only Electron so I came up with a three-pronged strategy to rekindle my interest:

1) Buy a Slogger Turbo Driver
2) Join a club for Electron users
3) Buy a disk interface

This didn't work out as planned. Slogger took weeks to fit the turbo board, and whilst it worked, it either tended to make games way too fast or had no effect at all. When loading off tape, this was very annoying.

As for the club, I joined an obscure organisation called the Friendly Electron Club. However, I found that it didn't provide anything I couldn't already get from Electron User - and shortly after I joined I got a letter saying it was being wound up! As you'll see from the attachment, the Newsletter is not really up to the standard of EUG.

FEC-nov-dec-1987.zip
(3.6 MiB) Downloaded 68 times

As for buying a disk interface, the man in Electronequip in Fareham advised me not to bother and to buy a second hand BBC instead. My plan having failed completely, that's what I did!

Anyway I hope this is of interest to someone. Maybe the organisers of the club are on here somewhere?

Zarchos

Re: Friendly Electron Club Newsletter

Postby Zarchos » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 pm

:wink:

Reading you're in Derby reminds me I'm old as I was at the Uni there in ... 1996 !
And I just loved it (not the Uni, but Derby and the surroundings).

aerworuld

Postby aerworuld » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing this John. I'm glad you didn't give up on the Elk altogether ;-)

jms2

Postby jms2 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Glad you both liked it!
I wasn't happy about giving up on the electron, but at the time it was a sensible thing to do. It's only now, in a retro context, that the electron's expansion possibilities really begin to make sense. :D

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:03 am

Quote from page 3:

"Mrs. S. J. Bridges would like to hear from anyone who has successfully typed in the 'Cliffhanger' program from the Input series."

She'd be waiting over 23 years....

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eug/70/a-clif.html

Return to “community projects”