RISC iX System Administrator's Guide (draft 1 of 2)

These forums are for community collaboration on archiving, magazine scanning etc. to avoid work duplication and agree conventions / define standards
davidb

RISC iX System Administrator's Guide (draft 1 of 2)

Postby davidb » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:07 am

Last year, terjeio entrusted me with a collection of RISC iX manuals and software. The idea being that they should end up at the Centre of Computing History along with other historical Acorn items. So far, they've made their way back to the UK where I tried to sneak in a quick scan of the manuals. Unfortunately, I could only manage to do a fairly low quality scan of the first half of the RISC iX System Administrator's Guide. Still, it might be useful for someone, so I'm uploading it here.

It is only a rough scan. I had to get as many pages scanned as possible onto a low memory netbook, and I had to correct the contrast afterwards. In the future, when these materials reach their destination, I hope that someone can do a much better version.
Attachments
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_1_of_2_pp_71-86.zip
RISC iX System Administrator's Guide (pages 71-86).
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_1_of_2_pp_51-70.zip
RISC iX System Administrator's Guide (pages 51-70).
(3.37 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_1_of_2_pp_31-50.zip
RISC iX System Administrator's Guide (pages 31-50).
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_1_of_2_pp_11-30.zip
RISC iX System Administrator's Guide (pages 11-30).
(3.57 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_1_of_2_pp_0-10.zip
RISC iX System Administrator's Guide (pages 0-10).
(3.27 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_cover_thumbnail.jpg
Front cover of the RISC iX System Administrator's Guide.

RobC

Re: RISC iX System Administrator's Guide (draft 1 of 2)

Postby RobC » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:04 am

Thanks so much for doing this. I've only just started playing with RISCiX on my R260 and, as I don't have any manuals, this has been invaluable.

davidb

Postby davidb » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:28 am

You're welcome. :) I was hoping to get a lot more scanned in over the festive season but just didn't get the time. Hopefully it won't be too long until I get another chance to do some more.

Wookie

Postby Wookie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:49 pm

Nice one, I'm planning on putting Risc iX on my A310, so having this documentation available is brilliant, keep up the good work it is appreciated :-D
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

flibble

Postby flibble » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:11 am

Hi davidb,
as a quick test I ran the jpgs into adobe acrobat to make a PDF, and did the OCR on them, it seems to work fine, looking forward to the second half :)

http://www.marutan.net/misc/RISC%20iX%2 ... 02-opt.pdf

davidb

Postby davidb » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks for doing that. I thought about wrapping it all up in a PDF but figured someone else would probably do it eventually. :)

I'll try to find some time to do the other half of the manual, and the others, the next time I'm at the scanner. No idea when that will be yet.

davidb

Postby davidb » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:32 pm

I've done most of the rest of the System Administrator's Guide - just not the index nor the printouts of man pages! :shock:
I've also done the X.desktop Guide and most of the Operator's Guide. The trouble is: where should I upload the big archives of images? I don't want to push the forum over the attachment limit. :)

davidb

Postby davidb » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:00 pm

paulv, flibble, do either or both of you want to host these scans, too?

paulv

Postby paulv » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:04 pm

I'm happy to, yes :D

Paul

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Yep, I'd love to put them up on my RiscIx pages

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Do you need somewhere to upload them too temporarily, I'll try to figure something out and pm you.

davidb

Postby davidb » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:28 pm

It would be great if you could process the scans to make PDFs. Maybe Paul could host the original scans.

paulv

Postby paulv » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:34 pm

I've just had a look at the scans, quite a bit of processing required, cropping, rotating and prepping but they look great and I should be able to PDF and OCR them with Bridge, Photoshop and Acrobat :D

Paul

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi Paulv, before you use up your time, I've already started, mostly done on the first (some missing pages reported back to davidb), working on second atm.

davidb

Postby davidb » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Yes, sorry, I meant to say a few things about them.

The Operations Guide is missing pages 8-12. I messed up when trying to remember what the offset was between pages and file names - did you spot the error in the manual that probably led to this? ;)

The System Administrator's Guide is missing almost all the printed man pages(!) and the index. I decided to spend time on the other manuals rather than laboriously scan in what you could basically get at the shell by typing "man <command>" because I had limited time to spend on this.

Some of the scans look very bad, though that's mostly because those pages are blank (and very thin) and content from the other side bleeds through, plus the scanner really overcompensated in the contrast department. :( You could probably just blank out large parts of those pages to get the intended effect.

I think of all these scans as drafts, just a temporary measure to get the content online somewhere before it gets done with better equipment and more time. I was using a low memory netbook to store the scans and that limited the resolution to 150dpi, which is actually more than enough for what the manuals contain, and it also prevented me from previewing the scans until later. Basically, I just went into the room with the scanner, plugged it in and tried to get up to about 2 pages per minute. I learned a lot about scanning ring-bound manuals, so later scans are a bit less distorted than earlier ones.

Apart from pages in the above manuals that need to be (re)scanned, there's one more manual to do: the User Guide. This is larger than any of the others. I hope to get some of it done the next time I'm in the UK.

paulv

Postby paulv » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:28 am

davidb wrote:Some of the scans look very bad, though that's mostly because those pages are blank (and very thin) and content from the other side bleeds through, plus the scanner really overcompensated in the contrast department. :( You could probably just blank out large parts of those pages to get the intended effect.

The trick here is to use a black layer behind the paper. It increases the contrast and creates impressive results. Most scanners come with a white layer which makes the issue of text showing through worse.

Another trick with the front cover is to rotate the source by 45deg. and scan it, then rotate it in a package to make it square. Doing this reduces the moire patterning you get when scanning 4 colour process images.

flibble wrote:Hi Paulv, before you use up your time, I've already started, mostly done on the first (some missing pages reported back to davidb), working on second atm.

I've also done one so it may be worth comparing and contrasting to see how we both do for quality/filesize etc.

Paul

flibble

Postby flibble » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:53 pm

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Here's my operations guide. Slightly larger pdf at 11.5MB..

http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/user/custom/Acorn/32bit/RISCiX/manuals/RISCiX-Operations-Guide.pdf

EDIT: I should add, mine isn't OCR'd as the quality of the OCR my software produced wasn't good enough to bother publishing it.

Paul
Last edited by paulv on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks for doing the post-production, guys. I know this stuff takes a lot of time and effort, too. :)

flibble

Postby flibble » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Hiya, I went to my parents over Easter and picked up my copies of 3 of the RISC iX manuals, ran them through the scanner yesterday and today. [1]

• Acorn R140 Operations Guide
  • Acorn R140 RISC iX User Guide
  • Acorn R140 RISC iX X.desktop Guide

and I found a copy of this, though it was previously scanned on Chris's Acorns

• R260 R225 A540 Installation Guide

I've put them up here

http://www.4corn.co.uk/articles/docs/

davidb, I don't have the system administrators guide, so if you could scan the remaining pages (man pages etc), for completeness sake :)

[1] Incidentally I've now figured out how to dismantle and reassemble the older ring bound manuals without trashing them, so there might be a few more manuals on the site sometime in the future :)

davidb

Postby davidb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Excellent! It's good to know those manuals don't have to be trashed to be scanned. :D

Also, it's good to know that I won't need to scan the User Guide, which is huge. :lol:

I'll try to schedule the System Administrator's Guide for scanning.

davidb

Postby davidb » Wed May 25, 2016 11:29 pm

Here's a stack of rough and ready scanned and processed pages from the end of the manual. The original PNGs are available on request - not that they're adding a lot to what you're getting here. They might be useful if you want to start from the original scans and process them differently.

Where you see reversed pages, it usually means that the side of the page was blank and the scanner has picked up the reverse of the previous page. I did remember the advice about inserting sheets of paper between pages but really didn't have much time to mess with this. Hopefully all the useful information is readable.
Attachments
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_4_of_4.zip
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_3_of_4.zip
(4.34 MiB) Downloaded 30 times

davidb

Postby davidb » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Of course, I forgot to upload part 2 and needed flibble to remind me. #-o
Attachments
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_2c_of_4.zip
(4.62 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_2b_of_4.zip
(4.85 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
RISC_iX_System_Administrator's_Guide_draft_2a_of_4.zip
(4.67 MiB) Downloaded 18 times

Return to “community projects”