Acorn Computer Music & Visual Artists

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
qUE

Acorn Computer Music & Visual Artists

Postby qUE » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Anyone know of any group(s) or individuals which do or did Music and/or Visuals with an Acorn Computer. We're toying with the idea of doing an event in Bristol where everyone can show off either what they do now, or what they did, or stuff that never made it out of the home computer.

No specified genres, happy with cacophony of chiptune and video memory corruption madness :)

If there are any professional Music Artists (like Benjamin Damage), would really like to hear. Although I suspect their schedule might be booked up and they likely don't use the Acorn anymore, but can only ask!

qUE
invertedlightsource.com

steve3000

Re: Acorn Computer Music & Visual Artists

Postby steve3000 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Sounds interesting!

What do you mean by 'visuals'? On screen coded graphics/demos? Or using the computer to control external kit, laser, lighting, etc.? There are certainly one or two ex-demo coders lurking.

Same for music - are you talking about computer generated output? Or midi/sequencer based?

Dave Footitt

Postby Dave Footitt » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:00 pm

There's a few listed on the ol' wiki

qUE

Postby qUE » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Steve, visuals either or, lighting would be utterly amazing though :)
MIDI or Chip based stuff (I do MIDI techno/electronic music on the A3000 personally), the idea is more just to get something Acorn related going. I'm mainly just gauging interest and seeing how many artists are out there to see if we've got a chance at pitching it for funding and venue.

Dave, the wiki link wasn't that helpful, we'd have absolutely no chance of getting people like Vince Clarke to play I'm absolutely sure of it ;)
Although if Vince Clarke said he would play I'd probably wet myself and then start looking at something like Wembley to host it.

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 pm

Wasn't there a music visualisation demo for the higher end machines at one time? That could be ARM 3 or StrongARM RiscPC depending on when it was. I only remember that it had a strange name (not helpful) and that I didn't have a powerful enough machine to run it on.

I think it was Flux. According to the Arcade BBS page: "Flux v1.30 by Peter Knight. Bloody good oscilloscopey thing"

I couldn't really try it out properly. Good luck! :)

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 pm

I found a nice gallery of demo images and links to demos while rummaging around for Flux. Interesting stuff.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:25 pm

qUE wrote:Steve, visuals either or, lighting would be utterly amazing though :)
MIDI or Chip based stuff (I do MIDI techno/electronic music on the A3000 personally), the idea is more just to get something Acorn related going. I'm mainly just gauging interest and seeing how many artists are out there to see if we've got a chance at pitching it for funding and venue.

Well, providing I'm not swamped with work/university course/etc. at the time, I'd like an excuse to finally finish this off:

As for lighting, I did know some folk at uni who BITD wrote a program to control a disco lighting rig from an A3020 as part of their final year electronics project (I think they used a user port card to control it? although I vaguely remember they had a sound sampler too...). They had plans to finish the software and go commercial, but as far as I know, that never happened. I'm still "LinkedIn" with one of them so will drop him a line to see if anything of this still exists...(although it's a very long shot...!)

Anyhow, as for on-screen visuals. RasterMan(TM) can produce some pretty spectacular colour combinations on a standard VIDC1 Archimedes...and this should be ready for the April show :D ...more news on that in the next couple of months.

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:27 pm

davidb wrote:I found a nice gallery of demo images and links to demos while rummaging around for Flux. Interesting stuff.

Those pics bring back memories!

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:40 pm

By a very nice guy I met : it's been one of my best 'Archie' days ever ! (one of the other best days was when Steve agreed to come back to the Archie)
Alain Brobecker.
And he was honestly impressed by what I did ... never heard it had been done before either on the Archie or the ST ...
Last edited by Zarchos on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulb

Postby paulb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:59 pm

Does anyone else remember the Tecnation Bit Bopper?

qUE

Postby qUE » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:14 pm

steve3000 wrote:
qUE wrote:Steve, visuals either or, lighting would be utterly amazing though :)

Well, providing I'm not swamped with work/university course/etc. at the time, I'd like an excuse to finally finish this off:

As for lighting, I did know some folk at uni who BITD wrote a program to control a disco lighting rig from an A3020 as part of their final year electronics project (I think they used a user port card to control it? although I vaguely remember they had a sound sampler too...). They had plans to finish the software and go commercial, but as far as I know, that never happened. I'm still "LinkedIn" with one of them so will drop him a line to see if anything of this still exists...(although it's a very long shot...!)

Anyhow, as for on-screen visuals. RasterMan(TM) can produce some pretty spectacular colour combinations on a standard VIDC1 Archimedes...and this should be ready for the April show :D ...more news on that in the next couple of months.

I didn't know QTM was a full tracker, I thought it was just a player. I've also done quite a bit myself on !WIMPTracker (it was free on a copy Archimedes World). Tracker is definitely viable, although will have to figure out how get a machine without the filters going into a decent mixer.

Disco lighting rig sounds insane, would really like to see that :)

I'm buying an arcade video converter which should hopefully make the A3000 and other Acorn machines usable on a projector. I've got a soundsystem, mixer and everything bar projector to do the gig. (although quite a few venues have them already), will likely have a word with the artspaces we have in Bristol. I've actually played at Watershed in the past, so I know they're okay with things like this, likely even more so when it's retro computer technology :D

qUE

Postby qUE » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:26 pm

Zarchos wrote:By a very nice guy I met : it's been one of my best 'Archie' days ever ! (one of the other best days was when Steve agreed to come back to the Archie)
Alain Brobecker.
And he was honestly impressed by what I did ... never heard it had been done before either on the Archie or the ST ...

Sorry the translation to english ended up a bit fragmented, no matter :)

I was trying to rack my brains who Alain was then I remembered they're Baah from Arm's Tech. Is Alain in the UK?, I wouldn't want to ask someone to travel over from France unless they really wanted to and they had someone to crash with of course.

qUE

Postby qUE » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:27 pm

paulb wrote:Does anyone else remember the Tecnation Bit Bopper?

Paul, thanks for the heads up, I'll give them a shout and see if they can still do stuff on the Arc. and it's not to much trouble for them.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:53 pm

qUE wrote:
Zarchos wrote:By a very nice guy I met : it's been one of my best 'Archie' days ever ! (one of the other best days was when Steve agreed to come back to the Archie)
Alain Brobecker.

I was trying to rack my brains who Alain was then I remembered they're Baah from Arm's Tech. Is Alain in the UK?, I wouldn't want to ask someone to travel over from France unless they really wanted to and they had someone to crash with of course.

Alain is a maths teacher and is now in the South of France.
He's been an important contributor to the 'star info' articles in BBC Acorn User, mainly with routines using mathematics formulae, of course ;-)
He's not into computing anymore, and uses his spare time creating (and having them distributed) logic and mathematical card games for youngsters.
One year ago he's been interviewed by a local TV station and you can watch that here : http://www.matele.tv/default.asp?catego ... eo_id=1424
You can fast forward to 30:00 unless you're interested by French cheese (it's the 1st part, and it's very interesting too :wink: )
Last edited by Zarchos on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

qUE

Postby qUE » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Zarchos wrote:
qUE wrote:
Alain Brobecker.

Alain is a maths teacher and is now in the South of France.
He's been an important contributor to the 'star info' articles in BBC Acorn User, mainly with routines using mathematics formulae, of course ;-)

Ah, ok. Yeah pretty sure Yellow Pages inspired me to learn ARM, although having to tackle 6809 head-on for college exams was what got me into assembler :)
Seems a fair few maths bods in Acorn Coding past.

trevj

Postby trevj » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:01 am

Is anyone here going to RISC OS experience 2015? It'd be good to cast the net further across Europe. If there are more involved then the case for applying for funding will be strengthened.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:14 am

trevj wrote:Is anyone here going to RISC OS experience 2015? It'd be good to cast the net further across Europe. If there are more involved then the case for applying for funding will be strengthened.

I might go there.
Unfortunately if everything is in Dutch (quite normal in the Netherlands), it won't be much fun :(

steve3000

Postby steve3000 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:30 pm

qUE wrote:I didn't know QTM was a full tracker, I thought it was just a player. I've also done quite a bit myself on !WIMPTracker (it was free on a copy Archimedes World).

QTM was always intended to be a full tracker, I just ran out of time writing the front end (I was at university doing an intensive course completely unrelated to computers!). Most/all the necessary back-end code was written in '95/'96, and the editor front end was mostly written in '97... when I packed up the computer.

Last year, I dug back into the editor code, added 8 channel support and updated it for 32bit/Raspberry Pi compatibility (that's where the screen shot is from). For the moment, I've limited it to just a tracker-display, but with a bit of work I can enable the editing functions. You can download the tracker-display as part of QTM v1.45 from here, !QTMdisply works on RISC OS 3.1 - RISC OS 5.2 :)
qUE wrote:Tracker is definitely viable, although will have to figure out how get a machine without the filters going into a decent mixer.

Bypassing the filters is fairly straight forward on the early Archimedes (A310, A4x0, A540, A3000, A5000), I've done this on my A310. It looks a little more fiddly on the later models (A3010, A3020, A4000, A4), because of the plug-in audio filter 'card' Acorn used, something to try on a long weekend... RiscPCs, A7000s and newer kit like Raspberry Pi don't have the filters, so music sounds so much better.

qUE wrote:I'm buying an arcade video converter which should hopefully make the A3000 and other Acorn machines usable on a projector.

I'm sure a few folk on here have used these video converters with good success rate, with BBC micros. Take a look :)

qUE wrote:I've got a soundsystem, mixer and everything bar projector to do the gig. (although quite a few venues have them already), will likely have a word with the artspaces we have in Bristol. I've actually played at Watershed in the past, so I know they're okay with things like this, likely even more so when it's retro computer technology :D

That would be great. Just need to generate interest on some of the retro forums and get a suitable crowd of together! :)

qUE

Postby qUE » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:11 am

steve3000 wrote:
qUE wrote:I didn't know QTM was a full tracker, I thought it was just a player. I've also done quite a bit myself on !WIMPTracker (it was free on a copy Archimedes World).

QTM was always intended to be a full tracker, I just ran out of time writing the front end (I was at university doing an intensive course completely unrelated to computers!). Most/all the necessary back-end code was written in '95/'96, and the editor front end was mostly written in '97... when I packed up the computer.

Last year, I dug back into the editor code, added 8 channel support and updated it for 32bit/Raspberry Pi compatibility (that's where the screen shot is from). For the moment, I've limited it to just a tracker-display, but with a bit of work I can enable the editing functions. You can download the tracker-display as part of QTM v1.45 from here, !QTMdisply works on RISC OS 3.1 - RISC OS 5.2 :)

That's really neat, someone's just asked me about Digital Symphony's compatibility with the Pi, I had to explain the issues most Trackers have with newer hardware, but it's really good there'll be at least one working for the Pi :)

steve3000 wrote:
qUE wrote:Tracker is definitely viable, although will have to figure out how get a machine without the filters going into a decent mixer.

Bypassing the filters is fairly straight forward on the early Archimedes (A310, A4x0, A540, A3000, A5000), I've done this on my A310. It looks a little more fiddly on the later models (A3010, A3020, A4000, A4), because of the plug-in audio filter 'card' Acorn used, something to try on a long weekend... RiscPCs, A7000s and newer kit like Raspberry Pi don't have the filters, so music sounds so much better.

Oh I've done it several times, although in mono because the tracks sounded better that way, I've got plenty of A3000s to hack around if we're short of computers :D

steve3000 wrote:
qUE wrote:I'm buying an arcade video converter which should hopefully make the A3000 and other Acorn machines usable on a projector.

I'm sure a few folk on here have used these video converters with good success rate, with BBC micros. Take a look :)

Yep, it's where I got the idea, plus I need it to do some tutorials for the system I'm doing.

steve3000 wrote:
qUE wrote:I've got a soundsystem, mixer and everything bar projector to do the gig. (although quite a few venues have them already), will likely have a word with the artspaces we have in Bristol. I've actually played at Watershed in the past, so I know they're okay with things like this, likely even more so when it's retro computer technology :D

That would be great. Just need to generate interest on some of the retro forums and get a suitable crowd of together! :)

Yeah, I have no idea of other places to try for BBC Micro musicians other than here of course and maybe csa.acorn. I was hoping some more people kicking around who have access to the Hybrid and UMI stuff and even anyone who's meddled with the TI chip in the beeb. Posted on vintagesynth, but no replies yet. Might try directly messaging the user groups.

qUE

Postby qUE » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:55 am

Well unfortunately this has had far less feedback than I'd hoped for. For anyone in the Westcountry I'll be at the Bristol RISC OS user meet-up this Wednesday (11th March) you're welcome along, will definitely have a chat with everyone about ideas in making this possible or even broadening the spectrum to make it more likely.

qUE