Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
Commie_User
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 am

Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby Commie_User » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:06 pm

Super Mario's an easy one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12020

Even we Commies yearned but had to make do with the Ocean Mario Bros licence, or the Giana Sisters hack for a pirate Super Mario. Still, we had Gryzor, which was NES Contra under a new name.

But there must have been titles the BBC owners really coveted in the actual heyday, such as Lemmings. (I'll have to check out Weenies, which appeared much later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oocm4U_sbo )

Which games would you have killed for back in the 80s?


User avatar
jgharston
Posts: 2660
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Whitby/Sheffield

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby jgharston » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:17 am

When I was teaching at Camp Beaumont we they had two suites of BBC Masters and two suites of Commodore 64s. The C64s seemed to be used mostly for games, the Masters for programming, office applications, and art.

However, there was one game on the C64s that I particulary noticed, and ever since have tried and failed to remember or find out what it was called. It was a multi-screen plan-view moving character thing (think Atic Atac) where you were some sort of tortoise-like reptile searching through caves for (I think) food and your eggs and hatchlings.

I wish I could remember what it was called.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

TopBanana
Posts: 1037
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby TopBanana » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Gribblys Day Out ?

User avatar
FourthStone
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:29 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby FourthStone » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:42 pm

I spent school holidays at an Aunts house, they had an Apple II clone (which I now own), there were many apple games I would dream about playing on the beeb and for which are part of a list that I would like to convert / clone / port one of these days.

Includes:
Conan Halls of Volta
Sammy Lightfoot
Crisis Mountain
Loderunner
Apple Cider Spider
Aztec
Hard Hat Mack

Probably a few more, hmmm I think I just realised that platform games from BITD were my favourite thing to play.

User avatar
FourthStone
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:29 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby FourthStone » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:47 pm

jgharston wrote:However, there was one game on the C64s that I particulary noticed, and ever since have tried and failed to remember or find out what it was called. It was a multi-screen plan-view moving character thing (think Atic Atac) where you were some sort of tortoise-like reptile searching through caves for (I think) food and your eggs and hatchlings.

I wish I could remember what it was called.


Dino Eggs maybe? Description sounds spot on.

User avatar
Pernod
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:01 pm
Location: Croydon, UK

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby Pernod » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:59 am

FourthStone wrote:Loderunner

We already have that, by Software Projects.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

User avatar
flibble
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:29 am
Contact:

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby flibble » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:41 am

Some sort of JPRG, a final fantasy or Zelda. A whole genre of games that's missing :)

User avatar
Arcadian
Posts: 2733
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby Arcadian » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:59 am

FourthStone wrote:I spent school holidays at an Aunts house, they had an Apple II clone (which I now own), there were many apple games I would dream about playing on the beeb and for which are part of a list that I would like to convert / clone / port one of these days.

Do it!! :D

Just checked out the videos for all of those on Youtube, that Conan game looks really smart!!
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

Image
ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)

User avatar
jgharston
Posts: 2660
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Whitby/Sheffield

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby jgharston » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:11 am

FourthStone wrote:
jgharston wrote:However, there was one game on the C64s that I particulary noticed, and ever since have tried and failed to remember or find out what it was called. It was a multi-screen plan-view moving character thing (think Atic Atac) where you were some sort of tortoise-like reptile searching through caves for (I think) food and your eggs and hatchlings.
I wish I could remember what it was called.

Dino Eggs maybe? Description sounds spot on.

No, that's side view, the game I remember was plan view, like Atic Atac:

Image

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

RobC
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby RobC » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 am

Top three for me were:
1. Bomb Jack [from playing the arcade version as I thought the home computer versions C64, Speccy etc.) weren't very good].
2. Ant Attack
3. SkoolDaze [both from playing on my friend's Speccy].

I'm still hopeful that I'll get round to finishing BeebJack one day and somewhere have a Beeb version of Ant Attack that allows you to walk around the city.

SkoolDaze has been ported to the Oric so maybe that could be ported across to the Beeb too :)

I've also been thinking about doing a version of Wonder Boy using my VideoNuLA board as it would be a good use of the extra colours and horizontal scrolling.

Andy1979
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby Andy1979 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:15 am

Used to love playing the Dizzy games (e.g. Treasure Island Dizzy) - seems these were available for most platforms, except the Beeb.

User avatar
Rich Talbot-Watkins
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: Palma, Mallorca

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:15 pm

I always longed for a proper version of Gauntlet, but could never really see how it would look nice on a Beeb, even if it could run at a decent speed. Between jerky scrolling, hi res / no colours, or chunky res with colours, it always seemed like an impossible task.

That said, I've since imagined how you could probably do it quite nicely in MODE 2 with the smooth vertical scrolling hack, if you could find a fast way to render all those baddies!

User avatar
kieranhj
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:11 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey, UK

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby kieranhj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Paradroid.

Given that the original is C64 I'm quite tempted to have a go at porting it after I've finished Prince of Persia (and had a nice long sit down.) The author, Andrew Braybrook, is on Twitter - I might ping him to see if he has the original C64 sources anywhere...

paulb
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby paulb » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:I always longed for a proper version of Gauntlet, but could never really see how it would look nice on a Beeb, even if it could run at a decent speed. Between jerky scrolling, hi res / no colours, or chunky res with colours, it always seemed like an impossible task.

That said, I've since imagined how you could probably do it quite nicely in MODE 2 with the smooth vertical scrolling hack, if you could find a fast way to render all those baddies!


I would also have mentioned Gauntlet back in the day, but now I realise that Dunjunz was a better game in many respects. Obviously, the graphics weren't as fancy as Gauntlet, but the gameplay was a lot more flexible and interesting than just slogging through wave after wave of monsters. Icarus was also pretty nice, but later levels were a bit stupid with regard to the number of baddies you had to deal with, and it all became rather linear as I seem to recall.

Gauntlet also wasn't very impressive on most home computer platforms (as far as YouTube comparisons show), meaning that it was probably yet another title that appealed because of its arcade reputation rather than it being a great game in its own right, especially as delivered on practically all of the 8-bit machines. Still, I'm not saying that it wasn't fun or wouldn't have been worth having.

User avatar
tricky
Posts: 1823
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Contact:

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby tricky » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Gauntlet looses a lot for me single player, or in free play mode.
RichTW, on one of my floppy discs from BITD (can't read it now), I have a demo with lots of monsters, they are 8x8 with the screen in 12x12 blocks (mode 1, 4 pixel high character rows) self erasing, where horizontally moving monsters are in sync, vertical are in sync and stationary "idle" in their 8x8.
This allowed lda, sta, sta, sta etc with each type in an unrolled list, it allows lots to be drawn, but the screen does look a little bare.
Hardware scrolling was in 4x4 pixel blocks with the sprites in the unused bytes per row with multiple copies for animation.

crj
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Postby crj » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:53 am

Ah, Dunjunz!

I guess I have my level designs. Somewhere...


Return to “general”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest