Retro Hardware Web Site - Looking for design ideas

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
daveejhitchins

Retro Hardware Web Site - Looking for design ideas

Postby daveejhitchins » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:52 am

I'm hoping to build the Retro Hardware web site, with my daughters assistance (she does it for a living - using WordPress), to provide space for Forum members to post details of their hardware projects - It's been on my list of jobs-to-do for way too long.

My stumbling block is what it should look like! So, I'm looking for design ideas . . . I'm not in any way artistic, as you may have gathered, so maybe everybody can have a say in what the site should look like - that's if we have some ideas to choose from!

My initial thoughts were to have a front page detailing what the site was for and how to navigate. Also, on the same page, tabs pointing to the project authors work . . . I'm thinking people would be able to manage their own projects/pages or present them for insertion.

All suggestions welcome . . .

Thanks in anticipation [-o< :mrgreen:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

jonb

Re: Retro Hardware Web Site - Looking for design ideas

Postby jonb » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:01 am

The most important thing for a resource like this is navigability and ease of discovery. I've seen quite a few wikis that became unmanageable due to a lack of editorial control over where things are put. Don't let it grow organically otherwise it will quickly become unwieldy. You need to choose an organisational structure and police it.

Other considerations:
  • Who will own the content?
  • How do you propose to accept new content?
  • Will you maintain the pages to ensure writing quality? (That's an editorial consideration).
  • Will you allow authors to offer things like PCBs, finished items, drivers, etc? And if you do, how will you manage disputes?
  • How will you manage the content itself (I mean, from the perspective of not allowing offensive or copyrighted material to be uploaded.)
  • Do you plan on hosting the material fully (images, videos, software)?

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks for this Jon . . . Lots of thing to consider. Here are my off-the-cuff thoughts:

jonb wrote:Other considerations:
* Who will own the content?

I'm expecting the individual project owners to Own their material - I'm hoping that published projects will be open source - other projects would be welcome too e.g. RetroClinic's Data centre!
jonb wrote:* How do you propose to accept new content?

I'm considering, if possible, to give access to 'publishers' so they can look after their own pages. Alternately, if presented for publication, on the site, then, preferably, already formatted, however, if there is a common template - that could be used.
jonb wrote:* Will you maintain the pages to ensure writing quality? (That's an editorial consideration).
Ah! That's something I myself would benefit from - I can write lots of words, however, I don't often get them in the right place - just look at my User Guides :roll: So, I suppose an Editor would be good - But, I feel, not absolutely necessary . . .
jonb wrote:* Will you allow authors to offer things like PCBs, finished items, drivers, etc? And if you do, how will you manage disputes?
Yes, yes, yes and that would be down to to the individual- hoping, of course, that they would be few and far between!
jonb wrote:* How will you manage the content itself (I mean, from the perspective of not allowing offensive or copyrighted material to be uploaded.)
Again, this would be down to the individual publisher - As the site would be for individuals to publish their own work - then if it's copyright I'd be expecting them to indicate this. Maybe that would be part of the publishing requirements e.g. The status of the Project would have to be indicated at the very start, in unmissable form!
jonb wrote:* Do you plan on hosting the material fully (images, videos, software)
Yes, probably no - maybe a pointer to YouTube? - yes - but also, maybe, just a pointer to GitHub ??

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

jonb wrote:The most important thing for a resource like this is navigability and ease of discovery.

Agreed

jonb wrote:Don't let it grow organically otherwise it will quickly become unwieldy. You need to choose an organisational structure and police it.

I'd be careful with this. You don't know when you're starting exactly what sort of content you're going to end up hosting. So you can design an elaborate hierarchy which turns out not to fit the content - lots of empty spaces and some over-filled slots. I'd advise maturing the categorisation as the content grows. And I'd certainly advise tag-based and not a hierarchy.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:11 am

Is the idea to be sort of like hackaday but for Acorn related stuff?

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Elminster wrote:Is the idea to be sort of like hackaday but for Acorn related stuff?
I suppose it could be! Open a project and detail the design and development - But not actually like StarDot e.g. It won't be a Forum! You could provide a 'contact' address!

Return to “general”