martinw

Retro gaming heaven!

Postby martinw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks Dave, the MGC is ace!

I now have my BBC and A3000

IMG_5300.JPG

Or my Electron and Atom.

IMG_5301.JPG

And a few more other combinations if required, may even make a little switch to get the Spectrum in the mix more easily too.

Thanks again to the MGC crew!

Martin

tricky

Re: Retro gaming heaven!

Postby tricky » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Very nice, its good to have a selection there so that they don't get lonely and you visit more often ;)

martinw

Postby martinw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:14 pm

tricky wrote:Very nice, its good to have a selection there so that they don't get lonely and you visit more often ;)

I completely agree 8)

trixster

Postby trixster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:04 pm

That's a great set up Martin!

I'm looking forward to getting my Atom back from the repair rescue centre and then I'll have a similar selection!
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD

martinw

Postby martinw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:58 pm

trixster wrote:That's a great set up Martin!

I'm looking forward to getting my Atom back from the repair rescue centre and then I'll have a similar selection!

Cheers Trixster, looking forward to some piccies when your Atom returns!

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Whoa, Electron Arcadians. My Electron was only an early-90s hand-me-down but I still have fond memories of that game, Snooker and the Welcome pack.

Though are the disk drives safe below the CUB? Screen interference isn't good, surely?

martinw

Postby martinw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:57 am

Commie_User wrote:Whoa, Electron Arcadians. My Electron was only an early-90s hand-me-down but I still have fond memories of that game, Snooker and the Welcome pack.

Though are the disk drives safe below the CUB? Screen interference isn't good, surely?

I never had an Electron as a kid but I'm definitely enjoying it now. I must admit moving straight from Arcadians on the BBC to the one on the Electron, it didn't feel quite as "fast" on the Electron. Galaforce 2 on the Electron is brilliant though, super slick 8)

It's pretty standard fare to have disk drives below monitors, I have built in drives within my Master monitor stand.

IMG_5304.JPG

Martin

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Well they knew what they were doing, which was enough!

The old 'don't put tapes next to the telly' mantra always ruled where I came from. Those proper screens must have been properly shielded, then.

martinw

Postby martinw » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Table bowing slightly :shock: :lol: 8)

IMG_5393.JPG

Martin

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Commie_User wrote:Well they knew what they were doing, which was enough!

The old 'don't put tapes next to the telly' mantra always ruled where I came from. Those proper screens must have been properly shielded, then.

While the disks are in the drive, the steel case protects them from any stray magnetic fields.
And at the front of glass screen, for CRT displays that don't have loudspeakers at the front, the magnetic field is fairly weak and therefore not a danger to disks during normal powered operation. However you should not have any disks near the CRT display when you switch it on, as then for the first 2 to 5 seconds the degaussing coil generates a magnetic field to remove unwanted magnetic fields in the shadow mask at the front of the tube.

In fact, colour CRT displays themselves are rather sensitive to magnetic fields. A strong magnetic field can magnetise the shadowmask to such an extent that the degaussing coil will be unable to restore the normal colours on the display.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

martinw

Postby martinw » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:49 pm

8) :D =D>

IMG_5451.JPG

Martin

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:17 pm

1024MAK wrote: However you should not have any disks near the CRT display when you switch it on, as then for the first 2 to 5 seconds the degaussing coil generates a magnetic field to remove unwanted magnetic fields in the shadow mask at the front of the tube.

Had I a Coleco Adam, my heart attacks may have been epic. With its other problems in that field (arf!), I may have just buried my media and had done with it.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:19 pm

OMG Martin, what are we going to do when we're old?

My mother laid it on about what my poor brother would have to do to clear my place when I (presumably eventually) snuff it.

It's all great to have, all the same.

martinw

Postby martinw » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Too true, they'll just need a big skip I suppose :cry:

Martin

Bonejour90

Postby Bonejour90 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am

I had such a great time with those consoles in my youth...

Great collection @martinw, I envy you so bad! :)

martinw

Postby martinw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 am

Yes, thank you @bonejour90, that's the reason I have them now, the Atom was a bit before my time, but I have this thing (there's probably a medical term for it :lol:) where I like to go further and further back in time with something (when it interests me).

I saw an old IBM PC when I first started working and I have one now.

IMG_5160.JPG

I've also done the same thing with early ICs (calculators with early ICs in them), transistors and valves (radios and hearing aids with old valves and early transistors in them (still looking for the eary transistor hearing aid)).

Chips 1.jpg

Chips 2.jpg

Early 70s Calculator ICs.jpg

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

I've been at it 7 years though (since I've been a member here actually)! and probably spent a small fortune, but I have no kids so I'm not spending anyone's inheritance :wink:

It's very addictive as I'm sure a lot of people here will attest to :lol:

Martin

VincentVega

Postby VincentVega » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 am

Oooh, nice. I particularly like the calculators, all laid out neatly.

I wish I had somewhere to display all my wares. Unfortunately they all live in the wardrobe and only occasionally come out to play.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am

Bonejour90 wrote:I had such a great time with those consoles in my youth...

For the most part, that's the nub of it. From 'It's not a console, mother!', to being the most nostalgic game rigs. Making music, my own micros and consoles are still used for proper things but games are what even the best of megazoids are doomed to in retirement.

And they do a great job. Especially the novelty where games weren't their forte.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 am

martinw wrote:I've been at it 7 years though (since I've been a member here actually)! and probably spent a small fortune, but I have no kids so I'm not spending anyone's inheritance :wink:

Pity that's not 17 years. People couldn't even give it away then. I dread to remember the full skips of yore. Still, those valves look attractive. It's all a good display, though.

And speaking as someone whose back rooms resemble the Computer Cavern warehouse, maybe Vince can have a small display where it's nice and rotate the stock. That's been handy on my shelves where I've had an Atari binge, then one for books or videos or Playstation 2.
Attachments
DSC02673.JPG
'Mmm, nice examples mate.'
DSCN0045.JPG
Thanks. That comment made my day!
Last edited by Commie_User on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

martinw

Postby martinw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:42 am

Commie_User wrote:
martinw wrote:I've been at it 7 years though (since I've been a member here actually)! and probably spent a small fortune, but I have no kids so I'm not spending anyone's inheritance :wink:

Pity that's not 17 years. People couldn't even give it away then. I dread to remember the full skips of yore. Still, those valves look attractive. It's all a good display, though.

And speaking as someone whose back rooms resemble the Computer Cavern warehouse, maybe Vince can have a small display where it's nice and rotate the stock. That's been handy on my shelves where I've had an Atari binge, then one for books or videos or Playstation 2.

Yes, looking at the kit the "old timers" accumulated on here for not a lot of money I should have started earlier really, but I think it's even worse now :!:

It'll be very interesting in the next 20 years (if I'm still here) when the bubble bursts, so to speak.

Aye, I have a bit of space, or I used to :shock:

Shelving is the future (I typed that before I saw your picture :shock:) :lol:

Martin

Return to “general”