Do you insure your retro systems for much?

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
Commie_User

Do you insure your retro systems for much?

Postby Commie_User » Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 pm

My place is jammed with old organs and micros and stuff but I very much doubt there would be much of an insurance return on them, especially as pretty much everything here is old and thrifted. Junk to the average insurer.

But I may be surprised. Should any good micros wind up astray or burned up, would you have a decent policy to cover those?

1024MAK

Re: Do you insure your retro systems for much?

Postby 1024MAK » Fri May 19, 2017 6:42 am

You need to check with your insurance to see what cover you actually have.

Many years ago when I bought an expensive (for the time) C-Lab Falcon computer and then a well specified PC (total combined cost at the time, just under £4000), I asked my insurance company. They confirmed I was covered. But that individual items over a certain amount (forget the figure) had to be declared to them.

I never thought about asking about what amount they would pay out if an item was no longer available. Some insurance companies offer ''new for old". It is possible that the amount that they would pay would be market value. So if you can demonstrate that the second hand market is the market value, they may pay that amount so you could then buy a second hand item to replace the item that was lost.

But as I say, check your policy, as they are not all the same.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

algenon_iii

Postby algenon_iii » Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am

I'd never thought of that :shock:

I'm not overly worried about the Beebs and Archies I have there's nothing that special about them so could be replaced with stuff off ebay. However, my electron set-up has a few bits that would be difficult (AP5) or maybe even next to impossible (4-channel sound cartridge) to replace. Even the Plus 3 would be tricky to get hold of.

I remember from Antiques Roadshow that they'd say insure something for £££ (which was normally more that it's value) in order to cover the cost of replacement. I don't even know where to start with the rarer stuff, as I don't think I've ever seen some of it on ebay.

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Fri May 19, 2017 10:09 am

It is a connumdrum. As you say it would probably be logistic/availability that would more of an issue that the actually value.

For example to replace the Electron is easy if you want to pay £80 buynow. But if you want to get it for say £30 (going rate about £30) could take a while. So you would need to persuae insurance company the value was £80 unless you want to sit on ebay for next 6 months. That would apply to every piece of kit.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Fri May 19, 2017 10:50 am

As always in insurance, there are two questions: what does the policy say, and then what is the result of negotiating a claim. I've claimed for cars in the past, and being able to show some present offerings at a certain price can be enough to get the valuation adjusted (succeeded once, failed once.) If you think your kit is valuable then having photographs of it might help support a claim - mint in box, for example, would be a higher value.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Sat May 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks for this.

Return to “general”