VIDEO : Steve Furber donates several "boxes full of junk" to the Centre for Computing History

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
Andrew_Waite

VIDEO : Steve Furber donates several "boxes full of junk" to the Centre for Computing History

Postby Andrew_Waite » Wed May 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Prof. Steve Furber donates his First Computer and a prototype BBC Micro with memory multiplexed between processor and video system to the Centre for Computing History...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_33Yv5 ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Wed May 03, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarchos

Re: Prototype BBC Micro VIDEO, Steve Furber donates several "boxes full of junk" to the Centre for Computing History

Postby Zarchos » Wed May 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Yes. Already posted in the thread 'Remarkable videos recently posted on YT' ;-)

Coeus

Re: VIDEO : Steve Furber donates several "boxes full of junk" to the Centre for Computing History

Postby Coeus » Wed May 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Another interesting video. I watched Steve Furber saying he didn't remember in response to some of the questions and then thinking that even a fedw weeks are enough with some projects to forget what you were thinking, let alone 35 years.

Also, six years from his first computer to the ARM. That's a pretty quick pace!

Zarchos

Re: VIDEO : Steve Furber donates several "boxes full of junk" to the Centre for Computing History

Postby Zarchos » Wed May 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Coeus wrote:Another interesting video. I watched Steve Furber saying he didn't remember in response to some of the questions and then thinking that even a fedw weeks are enough with some projects to forget what you were thinking, let alone 35 years.

Also, six years from his first computer to the ARM. That's a pretty quick pace!

Let's be honest : these people at Acorn were geniuses.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Wed May 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Perhaps scarily so.

Andrew_Waite

Postby Andrew_Waite » Thu May 04, 2017 4:03 pm

I have seen videos where Steve Furber talks about a prototype machine for the BBC Micro, with 2MHz memory allowing memory access between a 1MHz 6502 and 1MHz video system to be interleaved. Great to see such an important machine preserved for posterity, I am looking forward now to seeing it for real at the CCH.

Return to “general”