4-T Teletext picture-stories online

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
lurkio

4-T Teletext picture-stories online

Postby lurkio » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am

Here's an archive of stories about 4-T, a blocky little dog, illustrated with Teletext graphics. The stories were originally broadcast in the 1980s/90s on 4-Tel, the Teletext service of UK TV channel Channel 4. There are .SSDs to download too.

.. the series was created using the teletext mode of the BBC Acorn microcomputer, first on a model B, then a Master 128. Teletext graphics are very low resolution, based on a grid of 40 by 24 character spaces, compared to present-day mega-pixel standards - but sometimes, just sometimes, maybe less is more...The stories on this website have been retrieved from the original 5.25in floppy disks they were stored on. Work continues to rescue more of them via RetroClinic's DataCentre and BeebEm ...

1.png

Elminster

Re: 4-T Teletext picture-stories online

Postby Elminster » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Wow I had completely forgotten about this. I used to watch the 4t adventures in the 80s. Didn't realise it carried on into the 90s, probably stopped using teletext by then as I was at uni.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:35 pm

I only stopped using the proper Teletext when they switched the service off. Yes I know there is a replacement on some digital channels, but it's rubbish. So rubbish, I very rarely use it.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

guesser

Postby guesser » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:49 pm

1024MAK wrote:I only stopped using the proper Teletext when they switched the service off. Yes I know there is a replacement on some digital channels, but it's rubbish. So rubbish, I very rarely use it.

Have you had a go with using a raspberry pi as a teletext inserter and reading 'Teefax'? :)

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:43 pm

1024MAK wrote:I only stopped using the proper Teletext when they switched the service off. Yes I know there is a replacement on some digital channels, but it's rubbish. So rubbish, I very rarely use it.

Mark

Ah, got your moneys worth then. They invented the Interweb thingy while I was at Uni. Plus the TV/Monitor I had attached to my Amiga 500 (The electron had been gone a good 5 years by then) didnt do teletext. Dont think I ever really returned.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:09 pm

guesser wrote:

Have you had a go with using a raspberry pi as a teletext inserter and reading 'Teefax'? :)

It's on a bit of a long to do list... At least I have a Raspberry Pi set aside for it :mrgreen:

Mark

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Elminster wrote:

Mark

Ah, got your moneys worth then. They invented the Interweb thingy while I was at Uni. Plus the TV/Monitor I had attached to my Amiga 500 (The electron had been gone a good 5 years by then) didnt do teletext. Dont think I ever really returned.

Living room TV had Teletext (Fastext)
Bedroom TV had Teletext (Fastext)
Atari STFM had a Teletext adaptor (used it to capture the last BBC West Teletext transmissions).
The Dan PC had a TV card that could do Teletext

So I was well covered :wink:

Mark

Return to “general”