thebbclives website gone.

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
GordonSJ

thebbclives website gone.

Postby GordonSJ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi,
First up I want to say how very much I like bbcmicro.co.uk, having all of these game a simple click away in jsbeeb is amazing.
And I don't want to take anything away from your great work in what I am about to say.

It is starting to make me sad so see some of the older BBC related websites, like "TheBBCLives' website disappearing from the web.
(And Stairway to hell going dormant, will this come to an end also to?)

There are a number of other BBC resource websites that have also gone away. (It looks like a number of these have been hosted on peoples personal website at universities, and the like, where people have moved on and are unable to maintain the websites.)

So I am now personally on a mission to take archive copies of many of these websites, and as such, I have a working copy of 'TheBBCLives' which I am thinking about putting back online.

I have tried to contact Robert Schmidt, at his email from the website, as he was the original maintainer of this website, but have had no reply.

So I am looking for comments and suggestions, on bringing this website back at least as a working version of it in its original format, and if it start to get a lot of hits, start updating it once in a while.

What do you all think?

lurkio

Re: thebbclives website gone.

Postby lurkio » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:45 pm

It is slightly worrying that sites might be disappearing. I'm particularly concerned about http://8bs.com, which seems to have been down for a couple of days now. :shock:

Re The BBC Lives!, are you aware of this?:

:?:

In any case, it's good that you have a backup of the site.

=D> =D>

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm

GordonSJ wrote:(And Stairway to hell going dormant, will this come to an end also to?)

No. :)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug Leicestershire (17-19 November 2017)

GordonSJ

Postby GordonSJ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi,
So yes, 8bs.com is another great site, with a lot of magazine scans, which I do have fully backed up already. (lets hope it comes back.)

Also.. archive.retro-key.co.uk/bbc.nvg.org is not a very complete reproduction of the original site, try clicking on any of the archive software links and you do not get very far.
(Also you can still get to the original archived files from bbclives via FTP!!)

P.S. good to hear that Stairway to hell is not going anywhere any time soon.

ctr

Postby ctr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 pm

GordonSJ wrote:(Also you can still get to the original archived files from bbclives via FTP!!)

And HTTP. The only thing missing seems to be the web pages, which are on retro-kit.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised you're the OP, so you've already got a backup of the whole thing anyway. To get back to your original point, yes it would be excellent to have the web pages reunited with the archive, because it's quite unusable at the moment.

paulv

Postby paulv » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:02 pm

GordonSJ wrote:Hi,
So yes, 8bs.com is another great site, with a lot of magazine scans, which I do have fully backed up already. (lets hope it comes back.)

Also.. archive.retro-key.co.uk/bbc.nvg.org is not a very complete reproduction of the original site, try clicking on any of the archive software links and you do not get very far.
(Also you can still get to the original archived files from bbclives via FTP!!)

P.S. good to hear that Stairway to hell is not going anywhere any time soon.

It is complete, however I'm hosting it on a non-PHP server and it was a PHP site to the fact that it runs at all is a bit of magic ;)

If you can point me at the files you're having issues with accessing, I can fix those parts of the mirror so it is at least a bit more workable.

Paul

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:32 am

The BBC lives! Was the site in the late 90s that made me realise that i wasn't the only beeb lover left.
Thank you.

GordonSJ

Postby GordonSJ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Just noticed this from a backup copy of 8bs.com:

05/03/2017 8BS will be 'off air' for a few days soon. Don't worry, we will be up and running again shortly

So looks like that are down for a planned change.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:55 pm

GordonSJ wrote:8bs.com is another great site, with a lot of magazine scans, which I do have fully backed up already. (lets hope it comes back.)

Also.. archive.retro-key.co.uk/bbc.nvg.org is not a very complete reproduction of the original site, try clicking on any of the archive software links and you do not get very far. (Also you can still get to the original archived files from bbclives via FTP!!)

Just in case 8bs doesn't come back, I'm tentatively wondering how big your backups of it and bbc.nvg.org are, and how feasible it would be for you to put them online?

:?:

ctr

Postby ctr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:21 pm

paulv wrote:It is complete, however I'm hosting it on a non-PHP server and it was a PHP site to the fact that it runs at all is a bit of magic ;)

If you can point me at the files you're having issues with accessing, I can fix those parts of the mirror so it is at least a bit more workable.

Paul

Many of the links on the File Archive page are broken. Four example, all four links under the "Archive Indexes" heading are dead. They all used to refer to "indexer.cgi", which was presumably already defunct when the original site was crawled. You could change the Emulators index link from cgi/indexer.cgi@DIR=emul%2F&LEVEL1=1&LEVEL2=1&LEVEL3=1.html to emul/. Changing the other three would give:

Similarly, the publisher links a bit further down are broken. For example,the Firebird link dir.php3@dir=sw%2FFirebird.html could be sw/Firebird/.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:59 am

The admin of 8bs.com is a member here. He is called Chris.

I have had a quick look for some of his posts, but have not yet had time to finish my search.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:30 am

Ahh, found the thread :D

Chris introduces himself here.

Mark

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:19 am

1024MAK wrote:Ahh, found the thread :D

Chris introduces himself here.

Mark

Last active:
Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:23 am

:(
Paul

danielj

Postby danielj » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:54 am

OK, so, just emailed Chris. The server was hacked so it's been taken down to be sorted out. Should be a 'few days'.

Fear not! :D

d.

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:28 pm

ctr wrote:
paulv wrote:It is complete, however I'm hosting it on a non-PHP server and it was a PHP site to the fact that it runs at all is a bit of magic ;)

Paul

Many of the links on the File Archive page are broken. Four example, all four links under the "Archive Indexes" heading are dead. They all used to refer to "indexer.cgi", which was presumably already defunct when the original site was crawled. You could change the Emulators index link from cgi/indexer.cgi@DIR=emul%2F&LEVEL1=1&LEVEL2=1&LEVEL3=1.html to emul/. Changing the other three would give:

Similarly, the publisher links a bit further down are broken. For example,the Firebird link dir.php3@dir=sw%2FFirebird.html could be sw/Firebird/.

Ahhh, thanks.

I actually fixed all that lot over a year ago. Since then however, I've moved from old 32-bit hardware to brand spanking new 64-bit hardware and the application software has had quite the upgrade.

The fix was to have a custom 404 error handler which could convert the old URL's on the fly to the new format for this server. The handler was still there as part of the site. It just hadn't been configured on the new server.

The handler has now been reconfigured and all the links should be working again without changing any of the original links in the original source.

Paul

ctr

Postby ctr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 pm

paulv wrote:Ahhh, thanks.

I actually fixed all that lot over a year ago. Since then however, I've moved from old 32-bit hardware to brand spanking new 64-bit hardware and the application software has had quite the upgrade.

The fix was to have a custom 404 error handler which could convert the old URL's on the fly to the new format for this server. The handler was still there as part of the site. It just hadn't been configured on the new server.

The handler has now been reconfigured and all the links should be working again without changing any of the original links in the original source.

Paul

I was toying with the idea of writing a sed script to fix the links but, happily, procrastination won.

Thanks for sorting this out.

GordonSJ

Postby GordonSJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:04 pm

so for now this is what i have:

http://8bs.joininthe.buzz/
http://bbclives.joininthe.buzz/

i will leave these up for a while, until 8bs comes back.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks, Paul and Gordon!

=D> =D>

cjr8bs

Postby cjr8bs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 am

Hi Guys
I can assure you all that the 8BS will be around for as long as there is somewhere to put it. Sadly, at the moment, the 8BS server is down, Jess is mending it after it was hacked. She said it would take a few days, let's hope that's not much longer. Meanwhile, there is this:

viewtopic.php?t=6464

to hopefully keep you happy

Thanks to you guys for keeping up your interest =D>

Chris

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 am

I'd forgotten about that!

d.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 am

That's good to hear Chris! :)

P.S. It's the Wakefield show on Saturday - are you thinking of swinging by?

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm

cjr8bs wrote:Hi Guys
I can assure you all that the 8BS will be around for as long as there is somewhere to put it. Sadly, at the moment, the 8BS server is down, Jess is mending it after it was hacked. She said it would take a few days, let's hope that's not much longer. Meanwhile, there is this:

viewtopic.php?t=6464

to hopefully keep you happy

Thanks to you guys for keeping up your interest =D>

Chris

Thanks Chris :D =D>

Now where is the like button when you need it :roll: :lol:

Mark

firthmj

Postby firthmj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:01 pm

paulv wrote:
<snip previous quote>

Ahhh, thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul

Is there any chance you could remove / disable the Webring stuff from the NVG mirror - it seems to generate malware alerts in my browser, and sometimes tries to hijack me away from the page.

Thanks
Had fun at the
Meeting 13th May 2017

paulv

Postby paulv » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

firthmj wrote:
paulv wrote:
<snip previous quote>

Ahhh, thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul

Is there any chance you could remove / disable the Webring stuff from the NVG mirror - it seems to generate malware alerts in my browser, and sometimes tries to hijack me away from the page.

Thanks

Done. Don't want the site pointing to malware :-o

Paul

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 pm

GordonSJ wrote:P.S. good to hear that Stairway to hell is not going anywhere any time soon.

Also, I've just this second renewed the stairwaytohell.com domain for a further nine years, so hopefully that gives you some more assurance too! :)

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 am

Arcadian wrote:
GordonSJ wrote:P.S. good to hear that Stairway to hell is not going anywhere any time soon.

Also, I've just this second renewed the stairwaytohell.com domain for a further nine years, so hopefully that gives you some more assurance too! :)

=D> =D> =D>

Mark

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed May 24, 2017 3:21 pm

See also this thread.

www.8bs.com is back up :D =D> =D> =D>

Thank you to those wonderful people who did all the work to restore it.

Mark

cjr8bs

Postby cjr8bs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:38 am

No quite up and running properly I am afraid. My apologies. I don't have access to the server yet and because of the changes, a lot of stuff doesn't work yet. Once I have access, I will start fixing it. Please bear with me, I am trying :-(
Chris

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:11 am

No worries Chris - your site is much appreciated, as are your efforts.

B3_B3_B3

Postby B3_B3_B3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:05 pm

The thread title 'thebbclives website gone.' can be parsed as the bb clive's website .....
which made me do a double-take... :)

Return to “general”