Ah, Computing Britain back on BBC Player

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
danielj

Re: Ah, Computing Britain back on BBC Player

Postby danielj » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:08 pm

If you want to get really nerdy about it, normal is indeed not a single thing, but a distribution where 95% of values lie within two standard deviations of the mean ;)

*scarpers*

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 pm

danielj wrote:If you want to get really nerdy about it, normal is indeed not a single thing, but a distribution where 95% of values lie within two standard deviations of the mean ;)

*scarpers*

Go on then, please define the relevant standard deviations of the mean for humans then... :P
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:22 am

I guess we'd have to use some sort of weighted composite metric and keep logging it until it looks normal.
*ahem* sorry - as you were.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:14 am

Interesting note about the average person:
In the early 1950s, the U.S. air force measured more than 4,000 pilots on 140 dimensions of size, in order to tailor cockpit design to the "average" pilot. But it turned out the average airman didn't exist.

- When U.S. air force discovered the flaw of averages

It's always a bit of a warning bell to me when someone addresses a community with a generalisation about that community - you're all lefties, you're all capitalists, you're all eggheads, you're all bashing this thing I love - it won't be true of everyone, or true of all comments, so there's always a good chance of a bad reaction. And that can escalate. Call it accidental trolling if you will.

It's worth bearing in mind that we all have bad days, and it's best not to judge a person by one or two comments, and not to judge a community by one or two people either. Yes, it's the internet, but it can be a very civilised place if we try.

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:45 am

I can do better than that . . . . If anyone wants to see normal . . . look in the mirror :shock: :D :lol: It's purely a personal thing :!:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Richard Russell

Postby Richard Russell » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:59 am

Commie_User wrote:it probably doesn't matter so much that BASIC is no longer involved.

As I've pointed out before, but you seem intent on ignoring, BASIC is still involved. I would have added "at least in the UK" but only a couple of weeks ago I received an order for a 60-seat BBC BASIC site licence from a school in New Zealand!

Richard.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:23 am

That's great news. But I wasn't aware of it being standard issue in school, even during the actual 80s. Not even I saw it, with my classmates, in curriculum. That's all I meant.

But I can settle it easily enough for myself. My brother's girlfriend is a teacher. I'll ask her if she uses BASIC on the computers at her school.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:41 am

Did you know that a Micro-controller system uses BASIC? No? Go and have a look, they are known as the BASIC Stamp.
I don't know if they are used in education anywhere though.

Mark

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:53 am

BASIC gets mentioned here.

Mark

paulb

Postby paulb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:42 am

Commie_User wrote:That's great news. But I wasn't aware of it being standard issue in school, even during the actual 80s. Not even I saw it, with my classmates, in curriculum. That's all I meant.

It never got taught in the schools I went to, either. Maybe there was some tuition at secondary school a couple of years before I went there, but the teacher who was doing computer studies went on leave before I started there - I think she would have been our form tutor (class teacher) - and the curriculum changed by the time she came back. This was the mid-1980s.

That isn't to say that we weren't messing around in BASIC at school, but it was never taught, and so the vast majority were absolutely not doing anything with BASIC at all. They were probably bored out of their minds trudging through the menial office software exercises instead.

At home, I did quite a bit in BASIC for the 8-bit and 32-bit platforms but did more in assembly language after a while, and even tried to move over to C and C++ on the ARM platform for desktop application development, although the compilers really needed more memory and especially Easy C++ (from Beebug) just didn't seem reliable at all. You can get stuff done in BASIC for the RISC OS desktop, for example, but it becomes very cumbersome having to develop applications in it. Languages like C, which aren't seen as being high-level at all these days, seemed more high level when compared to BASIC.

I actually think you need to be able to have this kind of progression, where you can "grow" and learn new languages and tools. For those of us who are (and were) motivated, we can pursue this by ourselves, although it certainly helps to have support and tuition. Had I not studied such things at university, my progression would have been slower and my understanding of the topics more limited. There were people who thought they knew everything they thought they needed to know, but those people didn't finish their degree, so it isn't sufficient to say that people will pick stuff up and that everything will work out great.

But obviously, teaching BASIC or whatever comes in at the beginning and really only needs to make people aware of the opportunities. Supporting people who want to take things further is another matter, which I acknowledge does not apply to most people.

Commie_User wrote:But I can settle it easily enough for myself. My brother's girlfriend is a teacher. I'll ask her if she uses BASIC on the computers at her school.

Just ask her about being a teacher! :wink:

RobC

Postby RobC » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:52 am

Commie_User wrote:But I can settle it easily enough for myself. My brother's girlfriend is a teacher. I'll ask her if she uses BASIC on the computers at her school.

What would that prove? I don't think anyone has claimed that BASIC is still being taught in all schools. Just that it is still in use in some schools. Surely the difference is obvious?

BASIC wasn't actively taught when I was in school and I'm the right age to have lived through the 80s boom. However, I'll always be grateful to those teachers who had the knowledge, and took the time, to encourage kids (like me) who wanted to learn about programming.

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:36 pm

What would that prove? Perhaps nothing. Maybe I should find out. But Mr. Russell's most adamant that I'm not seeing something and that BASIC is still involved at school, whether or not in the mainstream.

OK, so what's 'involved'?

sweh

Postby sweh » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:56 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:I can do better than that . . . . If anyone wants to see normal . . . look in the mirror :shock: :D :lol: It's purely a personal thing :!:

Dave H :D

OMFG, I hope I'm not normal! That would be horrendous!
Rgds
Stephen

Return to “general”